MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Newbie buckshot question. Hodgdon data giving pooched shells.

Newbie buckshot question. Hodgdon data giving pooched shells.

Just tried my first 00 buckshot loading. Using hodgdon data of 2 3/4 Win AA hull, 30 grain HS-6, claybuster WAA12F114 replacement wad, and 9 pellets 00 lee cast buckshot. Shell looks good for about 5 minutes, then it starts to pooch. Using an old model Lee Load All. Doing a 3x3 stack, you can definately see slight bulges in the side of the hull from the pellets. Would I do better cutting the petals off of the wad? Would it help to seat the wad with more pressure? 30 grains HS-6 taking up too much space?

Loading key drive slugs by lees data of the same hull and wad work great, or at least they crimp properly. Haven't shot any yet.

This is my first attempts to load shotshells of any kind. Consequently, my hull and wad choices are limited to the two mentioned for right now. Looks like it can be a really cool venture, but my 00 buck issues following hodgdons data has me scratching my head. Any advice, comments, suggestions, or roasting will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Boolit Man
    A 3x3 stack does not work well with true 00 buck in a wad. It works great without a wad, and the ammo manufacturers cheat and use more like .315 and call it 00, but you'll likely want to stack it 2x2. WHen I do 2x2 3 stacks high and then the top stack as 3 it works okay. To help crimp evenly sometimes I'll use a small card over the 2's so the 3 will fit nicely and be even for crimping.

That said, it barely fit for me. When I increased the wad seating pressure to 90 lbs or so though it crimped fairly decently for me when I just went down and tried it. I think maybe I'd just make it an 8 pellet load and call it good, it will definitely stack and crimp nicer for you (though it still won't crimp great unless you put a thin card on top of the stack of 2, the crimp will likely be a bit wonky otherwise).

Boolit Master

What spudgunr says....So many of these buckshot loads are just plain wrong. You cannot fit a stack of 3 true size 00 in a wad. I know it's frustrating but so many of these loads are computer generated theoreticals without regard for true dimensions... Yes you can cut off the petals but patterns suffer. Buffer helps in that situation. You got any other components? This load works well for 00....page 35.
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR..._reloading.pdf
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Buddy
    If you really want true 00 buck or 000 buck, some of the BPI loads use teflon wrap around the buck and just stack it on a gas check. I called them once and asked and they sad that omitting the teflon wrap shouldn't cause dangerous pressure situations but might open the pattern. I've heard tell about some people using paper to wrap it but I have no idea what that would do to the pressure. I'll probably make up some of those and get them pressure tested one of these days.

Did one with 8 pellets stacked 2x4, or 4x2, not sure how to express that. 4 layers of 2. So far, seems to be holding the crimp properly. Next item is I want to get some WAA12R wads and see how they do.

Just because the load is listed does not mean it is a optimal load. There are many 12 ga 1 oz loads I have tried that end up with puckered crimps because the stack height was not optimal.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

They've been out of production for a long time. Claybuster makes a clone though.
    http://claybusterwads.com/index.php/winchester-style
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Just tried my first 00 buckshot loading. Using hodgdon data of 2 3/4 Win AA hull, 30 grain HS-6, claybuster WAA12F114 replacement wad, and 9 pellets 00 lee cast buckshot. Shell looks good for about 5 minutes, then it starts to pooch. Using an old model Lee Load All. Doing a 3x3 stack, you can definately see slight bulges in the side of the hull from the pellets. Would I do better cutting the petals off of the wad? Would it help to seat the wad with more pressure? 30 grains HS-6 taking up too much space?
    The exact same problem I encountered with the same components although I used a genuine Winchester WAA12F114 wad.
    The dimples on the outside even gave me hard chambering.
    What I did was cut the petals off then there were no dimples but the crimp was slightly dished inward. To make a better crimp I added 1/4" fiber on top of the wad before adding the buckshot. Good crimps then.

Banned

you can get claybuster wads at sportsmans warehouse or order them from BPI.
    I think I used Remington R-12-H wads for my 3x3 loads, and regular rxp wads for the 4x2 load's I also had to put a card on top of the 2x loads to get a good square crimp.

I use the WAA12R wads they work great just load in stacks of two

I cheated and bought a #1 buckshot .30 caliber for my buckshot loads. Stacks 3 with space to spare.

Have not tested yet but no issues with crimp at all. I did put a small overshot card cut from white plastic milk jug with a 3/4" punch on the loads where I used buffer.

I have a Sharpshooter combo mold with 00 and #4 but it is my least favorite of my buckshot loads and the hardest to get good fill on all cavity's with.

YMMV

Boolit Master

I've got a load of 15 00 (true 00) with teflon wrap with gas seal in a 2 3/4" shell. They are stacked 3x5 with 30.5gr BlueDot for about 1,060. 773gr of 00 buck hurts on both ends at 1,060fps lol. Pressure under 9,500