RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bullet scraping while seating gas checks

Boolit Bub

Bullet scraping while seating gas checks

I am using Hornady gas checks on a lee 8mm bullet from MidSouth. The base is to large as was mentioned in previous posts. Would the checks from Sages help ?
    The main problem I am having though is when I seat the check the one side of the bullet gets scraped smearing the grooves. The pressure to seat does seem a bit heavy and in a softer alloy will distort the bullet. I am now using #2 alloy. I am sizing to .327 for a Lebel the bullet casts at .327. I also wanted to use these gas checks on Lees .329 for a Mannlicher.
    Thank You
    PS I had to re register because the site administrator did not think Obama was the name of the President of this country. Did I miss something?

In Remembrance
    Measure the gas check shank. Let us look at a solution. We don't thinks the oversize 8mm checks will size that large. You can use a drill bit index gauge
    if you like and give me a drill bit size to use for a dummy bullet shank.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by fiatdad View Post
    I am using Hornady gas checks on a lee 8mm bullet from MidSouth. The base is to large as was mentioned in previous posts. Would the checks from Sages help ?
    The main problem I am having though is when I seat the check the one side of the bullet gets scraped smearing the grooves. The pressure to seat does seem a bit heavy and in a softer alloy will distort the bullet. I am now using #2 alloy. I am sizing to .327 for a Lebel the bullet casts at .327. I also wanted to use these gas checks on Lees .329 for a Mannlicher.
    Thank You
    PS I had to re register because the site administrator did not think Obama was the name of the President of this country. Did I miss something?

Boolit Master
    If your bullet base is too large it will require too much crushing to crimp the check.

It's all in the dimensions of your components. The good thing is that they are too tight. The Hornady copper checks are among the thickest.

You may be able to go with an aluminum check made with thinner material.

As a machinist it never ceases to amaze me how quickly people jump on things like making checks out of soda cans only to realize that their bullets were made for much thicker walled checks.

Motor

Boolit Master
    NOE makes a bullet base chamfer tool that may allow you to seat your checks without scraping. You could also find a ball bearing large enough to open the mouth of the gas check a bit to allow it to seat without scraping.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Bub
    I thank you for your response. The base measures .3135 which is pretty large. Why Lee would do this who knows. I may try the Al checks or try an option if no check or a fiber wad. When I push on the wad it cuts a hair of lead. I guess this is part of the fun of shooting these old guns.

Boolit Master
    What velocity are you trying achieve? You may not even need the gas check.

This is especially true if you are using powder coated boolits.

Don't let anyone tell you that using a boolit designed for a check will not be accurate without one. Do your own comparison. Personally I haven't seen any significant difference yet as long as the boolits are working properly as in not leading.

Motor

Boolit Bub
    I am shooting at modest velocities aprox. 12- 1400 fps 210 grain bullet with 14.5 gr unique. My Siamese and Lebel seem to like the .327 bullet. I could use the lighter .323 but why? I will save those for the 98k. I will try then naked to see what happens. I may have to watch the hot brass lol.

Boolit Mold
    Older thread but I solved a similar problem. Casting oversized bullets from a "Beagled" mold resulted in my 8mm Mauser bullets check shank diameter being too big to allow for acceptable seating of Hornady .32 diameter checks. Solution was to use a Lee factory crimp die to swage the shank down to the proper diameter. A 6.5x55 FCD worked perfectly. Simply set up die per normal and back it out till in just starts to close when a sized case is run up into the die. Lower ram but leave case in place. Place the bullet into the top of the die. The check shank will just fit into the die between the crimping fingers and the driving band will sit on top of the fingers preventing the bullet from slipping down. Hold the bullet to ensure it stays upright. Raise the ram and the fingers will close slightly. As necessary adjust the amount of swaging by turning the die down until the shank fits nicely into a gas check. Works perfectly and quickly

Boolit Master
    When this happens I open up the gas check and seat and size away.