Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Question on which Lar45 lube to buy

Boolit Buddy

Question on which Lar45 lube to buy

I am going to purchase some stick lube fromm lsstuff.com and want to know which one will best suit me. I will be panlubing some 44 cal 245gr K stlye boolits to run around 1200fps. Also will need to pan lube some gas checked 30 cal 170gr FP rifle boolits. I really want one lube to do both jobs. Thanks
    Jeff

Here is an email I got right from lars:

How many bullets per stick:
    I weighed and lubed several different types of bullets to get an idea of how many bullets can be lubed per stick. The hollow sticks are about 1.5oz of lube. You should be able to get atleast 500 bullets per stick. It does depend on the size of the lube groove, so you could get more or less.

It looks like you'll be shooting lots of auto pistols, so you probably don't want a lube that will smoke when shot?? The traditional Alox lubes do have a tendency to smoke. My 50-50 and Xlox 2500+ lubes fall in this catagory. They are great lubes and will work for any except the most extreme velocitys.

My Carnauba Red and BAC lubes do not smoke. The C-Red does need a heater, the BAC does not. Either lube will work great for the calibers you have listed. The bullets will probably stay cleaner with the C-red when stored in a box or shipped.
    When lubeing, I sit the bullets on a plastic coffee can lid until the lube has cooled and then put them into a can or box to use later. The C-Red is also 100% Non-Toxic , the BAC does have some Alox in it.

lube weight

stick weight 1.5 oz

Bullet # per stick Cal-weight

C358-180 RF 1500 .357- 180gn

45-230 BD 681 .451- 230gn

45-330 PB 70% 562 .452- 330gn

454-255-SWC 562 .452- 255gn

50-360-HB minnie 264 .501- 360gn

Number of Bullets lubed per stick.

not sure if this helps, but its a start

Boolit Buddy
    Jeff-
    I don't pan lube, so I can't give you first-hand info on how well the stuff works for that. However, I put together a "sampler" pack of his lubes, minus his blackpowder, on my first order, to try them out. I have nothing but good things to say. I haven't made it up to the Carnauba Red, I'm currently working on a stick of BAC. Based on my very unscientific research, I think I'm going to stick with the BAC, or possibly the 2500+. Both do what I need them to, (I shoot mostly handgun, but also 30-30, 375 H&H & 45/70) and the price is definitely right. Hope this helps.

-Klaus

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the info. The C red will probably be my best bet.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffery8mm; 06-04-2008 at 03:09 PM.

C-red is super sticky stuff!

Jeff, Lar makes some good lube indeed I also pan lube only and ordered some of his lubes last year, C-Red is great lube but VERRRY sticky stuff and I could not pan lube with it without using a kake cutter to get the boolits out of the cake. The 2500+ and the BAC pan lube alot better .I ended up diluting the C-Red and the 2500+with my BW and vasoline lube and now pan lubing is much easier with both, even with the C-Red diluted the cake still needs to be slightly warm to get the boolits out easily,again its very sticky stuff and is a bear to get the cake from the pan.What i do is after the lube gets solid but still luke warm with cake still in the pan I wiggle the nose of the boolit in a small circle and pull straight up and out of the lube. you'll hear a small pop from the vacuum if done correctly,Dont know how it would work this way with short nosed boolits though? Good luck .

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master
    I like his BAC lube for all applications so far. I gave my buddy the sample stick of the Carnauba Red hard lube and he loves it. He ordered a lot more. I don't have a heater and the BAC lube worekd well without one. In the colder Upper Midwest winters, a gentle heating from a halogen work lamp gets things going nicely in the chilly basement.

Shiloh

Boolit Grand Master

I won a sampler from Glenn a couple years back as booby prize in one of the postal matches. I just placed an order for more of the Carnauba Red. Very good lube and I run it in a Lyman 45 with no heat. As stated above, it is mighty sticky. I don't pan lube, but imagine that it isn't ideal for that application.

Moderator Emeritus
    50/50 and 2500 should do OK.

I have a feeling that BACS would pan lube too, but it needs trying to know,

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    I love the Carnuba red once I've got the sizer dialed in for pressure and heat . . .but if I've got the heat or pressure too high then it's a mess.

I'm using it for:

.357 Magnum
    .45 ACP
    .500 S&W
    .308 Win
    7.62 x 54R
    8mm Mauser
    45-70

Boolit Buddy
    I emailed Lar and asked this same question, b ut he hasnt gotten back to me.?
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    I also use the Carnuaba Red 2700+ in Keith type bullets in .45LC and.44Mag. It is a bit sticky but I really like it and would recommend it. Mind you I don't pan lube and have not used many other lubes to caompare it to, but I liked it so much I didn't feel a need to try any others. The price is also another plus for the lube. My hat is off to Lars for providing a great product at an even greater price!!

Jody

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery8mm View Post
    I emailed Lar and asked this same question, b ut he hasnt gotten back to me.?
    Jeff

He's shipping... I got my order on Saturday.