Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Odd weights on hi-tek coated cast

Odd weights on hi-tek coated cast

So my gun didnt seem to like lead. I tried a few plated and they were much more accurate and fed correctly. I recently picked up a bunch of 38 and 40 cal "hi-tek" bullets to try out.

Well, the 40 cal bullets measure at .4005" but only weight in at 143.3-146.2 grains. I breifly looked last night and didnt see any data on the hodgdon site for that weight cast bullets.

The 38 rounds measure at .3575" and the weights are around 164.7-168.6 grains. Again, couldnt find any data.

I an pretty impressed in the diameter consistency in the bullets. I have been using CFE pistol to load my 40 and 38 rounds. I also have titegroup on hand but the loads for these 2 calibers are pretty small and the velocities are better with the CFE. Im assuming the ~166gr .357 bullets are made in a 158 grain made with a heavier alloy causing the weight increase. My questions are as follows:

Is there data somewhere for a 166gr cast .38 special load? Or should i start with 158 and dial it down .1-.2 grains to start?

Is there data for a cast 145 grain 40s&w? Where would i even begin to start for this??

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Banned

155 for the 145 and back it down to about 950 fps.
    and 158 for the 66's just dial it back about 15%.

alloy makes a huge difference in boolit weight and a mold pouring heavy from what the maker say's it'll pour is super common.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post

alloy makes a huge difference in boolit weight and a mold pouring heavy from what the maker say's it'll pour is super common.
    I had read this here before and fogured that was the case. Plus i imagine the hi-tek coating might add a grain or so.

Now my problem is that i dont have a pistol to test them yet. Gonna have to load up a few and wait til i see my sister in law at thanksgiving i guess.

Banned

don't feel too bad I just loaded 500 rounds of 40 short today and have no pistol or carbine in that caliber..
    but the brass was in my way and I have a mold and dies and a shell plate for the 550.
    so I cleaned things up and can now move along to the LPP 45 acp brass filling the bucket pretty quickly, I need to get them done so I can move along to the 44 mag brass blocking the large primer cabinet.

my claim is I am cleaning up the reloading room [shrug] and I think the wife is not caring either way since she don't go in there.

Well i loaded 270 45 and 223 but had my friends pistol and rifles to test them in. He and i used the same load data for 40 and he tested them himself so i know those are ok. Now the 38s though are a different story. Originally planned to load them for sis in law so saved brass. I dont see her much these days though.

I originally started loading all the common calibers i dont have just in case i get something to shoot them later (always nice to just happend to have 500-1000 laying around...). Also i suppose if shtf i can use them to barter with.

Also, next 2 calibers on my list are 308 and 30-06. I suppose i can trade my 357 dies for one of those easy enough.

Banned

I know how that goes.
    I get so much 9mm brass around here [about all I get actually] we bought two new pistols and I designed a mold around them just to use the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I know how that goes.
    I get so much 9mm brass around here [about all I get actually] we bought two new pistols and I designed a mold around them just to use the stuff.
    runfiverun,

Come on I look up to you and this is the kind of advise you give, I'm sitting on about 3k 9mmm brass. With your advise I should buy a 9mm pistol LOL

Looks like I need to go pistol shopping soon.

Warf
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by warf73 View Post
    With your advise I should buy a 9mm pistol LOL

Looks like I need to go pistol shopping soon.

Warf
    Sounds like youre getting the hang of it.

Also, when i have x number of rounds laying around it should be easier to convince the wife to let me get a gun to shoot them

Banned

well you gotta buy 2 actually.
    I recommend the CZ-75B [I got the retro] or the Para Ord. black ops 9m double stack.
    I think I like the Para a little better, but the wife is always hogging it.

did you know it takes 180 lbs of alloy to make 10-K HM-2 9mm boolits.
    and that a 35 gallon fiber drum will hold 10-k reloaded 9mm rounds with a little room to spare.
    an 8 lb jug of bulls-eye will load those 10-k rounds and have some left over.
    and that it's hard to replace 10-k SP primers from my LGS right now, so you gotta go online to do it.
    the 9m is also picky about lube viscosity, I done nothing other than keep on adding more wax to a 'too thin' lube and kept on watching the groups shrink until they finally stopped, settled down for a bit, then opened back up again [just from the lube]
    and my inconsistent shooting.

Meh. Im a purist. Ruger p85 for me