RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 1949 Savage 99 splitting necks

My cousin's 99 .300 from that era has a large chamber. Fired cases are visibly swelled ahead of the web. Try different ammo and if they split- time for a gunsmith. Best, Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    This is a recent occurrence that happened to a friend of mine and might be a stretch in your case. He bought a 99 marked for 243 and he too was splitting case necks and accuracy was abysmal. Turns out his had been re-chambered, re-bored and re-rifled to 260 Rem. and not marked as to the change. How was the accuracy from your rifle? If it shot pretty good then I'd suspect the brass a lot more than the chamber and what happened to my friend.
    A Sav 99 in .260 would be a hoot. Great cartridge I'm told. Did it shoot well with .260 ammo?

Boolit Man
    I have had boxes of older ammo where nearly every piece of brass would split and other old boxes would not split.
    That is a bummer when you buy the old box for seed brass.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I annealed the R-P cases that didn't split and formed some from winchester .308 brass and annealed them too. Got a chance to load a few with cast and shot them off yesterday. Loads were 18 grains of IMR 4227, half with the 170 rf lee and half with the lee 200. They grouped better and were much closer to the sights than the remington factory loads. Brass came out looking good and cheek slap was greatly reduced. I think this old 99 and I may just get along good afterall.
    Funny thing that I never buy factory ammo and can't remember the last time I used factory ammo in a new to me gun. I know some feel factory ammo gives them a baseline, but I prefer to start with my own. I can also usually buy a box of bullets or a lb of powder for what 1 box of loaded ammo costs, especially these days. Between experience, loading maunuals, and researching the net and wonderful forums like this it is amazing all the great starting points and combos a reloader can find.

Boolit Master
    I really like your gun but I also would head to the shop with that butt stock and start making dust with that cheek piece. Gun might be a pound lighter when done!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Thank you and I I agree the cheek piece is a bit large. I think I will save for a little and watch for an older marbles tang sight and see if it is still too tall.

Boolit Master
    I would compare the fired cases with a new factory case. I can't tell from pictures, but I wonder about the shape. Take a bullet and see how loose it fits the fired neck. It could be brass, but I think it has too much room to expand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12