RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Anyone make a 6 cavity 115gr 9mm mold?

Anyone make a 6 cavity 115gr 9mm mold?

I was wondering if someone currently produced a 6 cavity 115gr 9mm mold or if anyone had tired milling down one of the lee 124/125gr 6 cavity mold to achieve a 115gr, if so how was the accuracy of the modified mold.

Boolit Master

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...ose-bevel-base

That would probably be your best bet, cutting one down your self to suit your needs or go custom with NOE or Accurate case for the price of that Saeco 2 banger you should be abe to get a custom mold. You need to see first though if a 355/6 boolit is going to be accurrate. Mine is 359 so it is really a dual use.

I wish!
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Moderator Emeritus

what, the 120gr. too heavy for you ?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/294...truncated-cone
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Yep that is what I am using now but for 9mm major loads 155 is really better.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

lol well yes 120gr is to heavy for me . I'm going to use this mold for my open gun (9mm major) so I need as light as possible 112gr to 115gr so I can put as much powder behind it as possible to work my massive compensator. So far my gun shoots the flattest with a 115gr bullet and 10.2gr's of AA#7 behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    I was wondering if someone currently produced a 6 cavity 115gr 9mm mold or if anyone had tired milling down one of the lee 124/125gr 6 cavity mold to achieve a 115gr, if so how was the accuracy of the modified mold.
    Lee's 120-TC is a good one to mill down. For mine, I took some material off the base and also gave it a hollow point, shortening the nose in the process, and ended up at 105gr. I don't quite run it at major levels, but use it at 1400-1450 fps from a G19 for 90% of my 9mm shooting; it turned out to be a very accurate bullet when pushed fast, with relatively little muzzle flip. You could easily do the same but without the hollow point to get 115 gr.

Well the end weight of the bullet has to be above 112gr to be legal in uspsa otherwise i could probably run lee's 102gr bullet.

My biggest worry about cutting a mold down is the nose becoming to heavy and degrading the accracy of the bullet.

As far as feeding goes does the TC work as good as RN? Feeding reliability is a must but i dont really care what shape the bullet is as long as it works.

Yeah, that bullet feeds great.

Are you powder coating? If so, you could ream out the lube groove to keep more weight in the rear, but still mill down the base.

As it is with the standard mold though, you won't have to take much off to get down to your weight spec, IIRC just removing the bevel base and a hair more will do it.

Ya I powder coat all my bullets

Banned

Accurate will do a five cavity exactly how you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    Ya I powder coat all my bullets
    On second thought, if boring out the grooves is an option, Lee's TL124 TC mold might be a better option, it has a smaller nose. You'll have to cut a little more off the base, but could end up with a 112-115gr smooth sided bullet with just a tiny SWC shoulder.

Or go with Accurate as suggested, they have some good options.

I seen that looking at the TC molds, Tho I think the shorter stub nosed 120gr might be better because they will let me load longer in the mags which in the limiting factor on OAL for me since I have a throat reamer. I'm not sure I would mess with boring the lube grooves out anyways I have a couple Tumble lube molds that I powder coat and they seem to work just fine even at Major speeds the way they are tho if I was gonna have one built I'd have it made smooth sided.

Looking at the 120gr mold I think it can be taking down below 112gr and still not hit the lube groove, Coating adds some weight so I'll shot for 110gr-112gr that way it comes out about right. Might have to cast and coat some before hand for testing.

Added: after looking at the seating depth on both the 124 and 120gr TC bullet I think the limiting factor isn't going to be the mag either because of the shape of the nose I'll need to have it seated deep enough to keep good neck tension on the bullet and that will be well before I max out the OAL. So maybe the profile of the 125gr TC will be the way to go to insure proper feeding. Thanks for all the help guys

Here is a pic of the gun, Comp is a modified SJC 11 port so this beast takes alot of gas to feed it.

Last edited by Thompsoncustom; 09-24-2016 at 11:52 AM.