Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: What barrel length in a pistol carbine Lever Action 16" or 20"?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • 16" Barrel

63 44.37%
  • 20" Barrel

64 45.07%
  • Other

15 10.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What barrel length in a pistol carbine Lever Action 16" or 20"?

What barrel length in a pistol carbine Lever Action 16" or 20"?

What length lever action carbine do you like the best for plinking and hunting with the, 16" or 20" barrel?

I would say the 20" is a great shooter, of the ones I had the chance to shoot.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had a 16" and 20" 45 Colts a 16" 45 ACP and an 18" 357 . For a fact the ACP and 38/357 were the ones that had the greatest gains in every aspect . The 2 in Colts however didn't give nearly the returns for the closed breach and longer bbl unless you turned to powders more suited to rifles than to revolvers . When treated like a big bore straight case they really came around .
    The 20 is probably about the best split , winning the aesthetics ,mag capacity, and ballistic gains class . In the lever gun league it's really no handicap either . I've not been in a place where the 4" less bbl would have made a big difference . The 18" 38/357 carried best of all but I think with a full mag the 16" in Colts would edge out the 2" there .

A last note the standard loads in a 45 Colts 24"rifle actually lost ground to the revolver they were loaded for, so that's a point to ponder also.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Depends on your age and eyes. A longer barrel will provide you with an easier to use sight radius, particularly as you age.

Ballistically, you're probably just fine with either. If you're running a trap line or other work while carrying your rifle, then probably the 16" barrel.

A longer barrel will hang a bit better for off hand shooting too. From a bench rest it's no big deal but for field shooting I'd recommend the longer tube.

My pistol calibre .357 has a 24" barrel. With a Lyman aperture sight, I enjoy a whopping 27 inches or so of sight radius for accurate shooting and a clear front sight.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 09-22-2016 at 06:56 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Might like to split the difference at 18".

Boolit Master
    Subjective, however for me it's all about being "handy" and you can get plenty of velocity from the 16" pipe. The handiness of a short carbine in a thumper pistol cartridge is what these little lever guns are all about.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 16" 357 mag and 44mag, 18.5" 460 S&W mag, 20" 44 mag (2) and 24"(25-20). Guess I'm covered. Like 'em all! Depends on what I'm hunting..

Boolit Master

I've got alittle of both and one inbetween. For an occassional walker, I've got a 92 TD Trapper in 45 Colt, great for blasting cans ect out to 60-75 yards, an 18" 1886 and two 20" 92s in 357 and 32-20. For serious $1 taking, the two 20"s are the heat. It all goes to personal prefrence but I can see a Rossi 20" in 45 Colt in my future.

Boolit Master

By definition a 16" barrel is a Trapper, a 18-20" is a carbine and a rifle with a barrel over 22" is a rifle.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Winchester has a 20" carbine and a 20" rifle, the difference is in the butt plate and fore end and if I'm not mistake, rifle is sans receiver ring.

Just for general carry and handling I am getting to liking shorter - If I run into a mare's leg I might just buy it and SBR the sucker.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    I like the 20 inch tube for the extra round capacity.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Just for general carry and handling I am getting to liking shorter - If I run into a mare's leg I might just buy it and SBR the sucker.
    I have it on good authority that the Rossi looks real purdy with Boyd's Pepper laminate and a threaded barrel.

My favorite jack rabbit eye ball shooter was a Model '92 with a 20" barrel.
    But that said, would have preferred a little more barrel.

Boolit Master
    Both rifles have open barrel sights.:
    Have a Marlin 36 sporting carbine. It groups its 30-30s well. Had a Winchester 94 Trapper 30-30 that couldn't group on a closed barn door.
    Some rifles shoot well others don't in 16". Same applies to 20" and longer..
    I personally like the looks of a short barreled rifle. Kind'a Nifty looking. Longer barrels. Well you know? Its just a another common rifle.

Banned

20"
    the short rifle configuration is the only one that should even be made.
    it balances the best and is easy to carry, plus it comes with the flat butt stock.
    it's also the hardest to find for some reason.

Boolit Grand Master

16 and 18" carbines are cute and handy but I like the balance and stability of a longer barrel; 20" seems ideal to me most days. Quite honestly my favorite pistol caliber long guns are 24" rifles but I have a weakness for short rifles as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

I like my 16" Rossi .357, after I bought it I thought I had erred in not buying the 20". But nearly 4 years of handling & shooting has cemented my original decision on the 16", I like it
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ballistic-ally, the 4" difference doesn't mean spit - take your pick and enjoy shooting the pistol caliber rifle at the short distances the caliber was developed for. Even with a 24" barrel & a pistol caliber, accuracy at 300yds is contingent on a skilled marksman and good aftermarket sights!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening, I chose other. I have a Rossi 357 Mares Leg with a shoulder stock on it. I added a Steve's peep site and it has shot 100's of gophers with 3.5grs of titewad and the Lee 95gr SWC. At 50 yards it shoots ragged 1 hole groups and less than 3"s at 100 yards. I also have a Marlin with a 20" barrel and it shoots as well with that load, but only in 357 brass. The Mares Leg shoots the same with 38 or 357 brass. The Rossi I have in 45 Colt, SS and 20" barrel, really likes the 200gr tumble lube Lee. Which is alright by me as I cast 1000's of them for my 45Acp.

Boolit Mold

What barrel length in a pistol carbine Lever Action 16" or 20"?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    I've got alittle of both and one inbetween. For an occassional walker, I've got a 92 TD Trapper in 45 Colt, great for blasting cans ect out to 60-75 yards, an 18" 1886 and two 20" 92s in 357 and 32-20. For serious $1 taking, the two 20"s are the heat. It all goes to personal prefrence but I can see a Rossi 20" in 45 Colt in my future.
    What caliber is the 1886 ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast