Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono woes

Boolit Buddy

Chrono woes

Anyone have trouble with consistent error messages? I have a new prochrono pal. It replaced my other one (15 years old). I have been having issues with it and my 45 colt loads hi-tec coated. I am getting a frustratingly hi amount of errors. Tried with my 22lr and 9 mm,no problems. I live in el paso texas. Few clouds of any on most days, just bright sun. I am thinking of getting cheese cloth and draping it over top of light diffusers to give a bit of shade. Anyone?
    Last edited by silverback13; 09-22-2016 at 05:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy

The only time I experience errors is when the chrono is too close to the muzzle.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Buddy
    I am at about ten feet away. I am planning on going our in a couple of days. I will try 15 feet if that changes anything

Never had this issue on east coast.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up new chrono as I was having same problem with my old one. I am ashamed to say but I got so frustrated I shot it. Lol!!!! Forgot my meds that day.

Boolit Buddy

The 45 colt has a substantial muzzle blast. I use 15 or more for anything larger and slower than 22lr.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like a plan and less expensive

Boolit Master

Do 45 Colt loads without the hi-tec coating have the same problem? I'm wondering if the color of the bullet could somehow be responsible. Having said that, I bet moving the chrono back away from the blast will cure the problem.

Boolit Buddy
    You know come to think of it they did and those were Remington target lrn. I bet distance will be the solution. I was thinking the coating might have something to do with it as well. But since you reminded me of the Remington rounds it has to be the blast and distance.

Boolit Grand Master

I dont thinkl color will afect but the "shine" from the coating may be giving a ghost reflection across the sky screens. On my old pact chrono I made a 1 piece diffuser that mounted up in place of the factories 2 piece set. It was simply 1/8" lexan with the slots cut for the factories uprights and over hung the sides by 10" and 10" over hang front and back. The lexan was lightly sand blasted to give a frosted surface that didnt let light directly into the screens. This kept the reflections glare and shadopws down alot. One thing to try is to use a flat black marker to "paint" bullets with to see if that helps with the reflection / glare from the bullets. Cheese cloth may work but any winnd will have it blowing and flapping around causing its own issues. If you want to get real fancy on a lexan diffuser make the side over hangs 12" and bend the sides overhangs down 30* or so on each side also. Should make the light more even and steady regaurdless of angle or intensity.

Boolit Master
    Color can be an issue, I used some of the white HF powder coat. Needless to say they do not show up very well against a white background. I was getting speeds of 3500fps in a 40 cal pistol when it did read. The blue ones read fine.

Quote Originally Posted by silverback13 View Post
    I am at about ten feet away. I am planning on going our in a couple of days. I will try 15 feet if that changes anything

Never had this issue on east coast.
    I do not have a lot of Chronograph experience, but the times I have used one, I had it set up at ten paces.

This seemed a good distance to me, and also worked fine every time with Black Powder Revolver.

I have tested a dozen or so "Ruger only" .45 Colt boolits, non coated, at 10 feet over a pro-chrono. Sunny day, no issues.
    "Semper quaerendo plumbum"

Perma-Banned

I have never had a problem with mine...reg or coated bullets.

Although, I did shoot the piss out of one of the screen rods, the other day...fortunately, bent rod was the only problem. I straighten the rod as best I could and continued without issue.

Banned
    Simple solution. I love mine ZERO issues, just works !

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...ic-chronograph

Boolit Buddy
    Great info and comments. All of them got me to do more research. I am going to try some of the advance techniques listed in this blog. Flat black cardboard for the sides and something for above the stock diffusers. I was thinking a quick inexpensive fix would be to use these ultra thin lightly tinted trash bags.
    They are the ultra cheap 3 gal bags from Walmart. They have just a light white tint.
    I like the Calc provided for obtaining muzzle end velocity.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/0...lity/#comments

Boolit Buddy
    Ok guys figured out my problem. I was shooting to low. Yep when i raise my point of aim I get full string. Go figure. I was trying to shoot center but I guess I wasn't compensating for being that close and was still using 6 o'clock hold
    Homer Simpson moment. ......duooooooohhhh!!!!!.

Yep no problems with lighting or distance. Ugh
    Live and relearn

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Ok guys figured out my problem. I was shooting to low. Yep when i raise my point of aim I get full string. Go figure. I was trying to shoot center but I guess I wasn't compensating for being that close and was still using 6 o'clock hold

Live and relearn

OK that answers what I had happen last weekend. Thanks for the post and the input!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BNE View Post
    OK that answers what I had happen last weekend. Thanks for the post and the input!
    No thank you for your post. At least I am not alone in this process. Lol

Boolit Buddy

Live and relearn

I recently found that I was doing the same thing lol.
    You do not fight out of hate but rather the love and compassion you have for those you are trying to protect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast