Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The saga of cast boolets in 222 Remington.

Boolit Bub
    Very wide ogive on them. I seat them just a touch from the lands on my TCM.

They look good in the 222, I hope they shoot well!

Boolit Bub
    The bullets you sent just arrived today! Thank you.

My TCM rifle is still in pieces but I am putting the pressure on the GF to finish drawing on the stock so I can get it back together soon so I can test these guys.

Boolit Master
    Glad they got there ok. One small sample was lubed, I think. The rest you can do your magic with the powder coat...

Good Luck... Dale

Boolit Bub
    Hello castalott, re: post 129

Thanks for your advice! I spent the morning yesterday working with the NOE 222-45-WFB i mentioned - deliberately stair stepping up the mold preheated temp and the pot temperature after lightening up the sprue tension as you mentioned. I finally hit a sweet spot and got a run of good boolits! You were so right about running hot and fast!

I plan to weight sort after evening farm chores, but things are definitely looking up after following your advice!

And yes my CZ is an older Lux version (bavarian style beechwood stock), CZ-USA modified bolt handle, topped with low WARNE mounts holding an older Leupold 3X9 AO Compact scope. It shoots better than I can shoot it. Consistent nickel sized groups at 100 yds on a calm morning with Sierra Hornet .223 40 grain jacketed over Lil Gun. Groups go over a quarter size with the Sierra .224 bullet.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by GBCAPT; 05-31-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I did get the batch of boolits weight sorted. Rejected any that had wrinkles or seriously rounded heels without weighing. the final tally is:

45.5 gr 14.9%
    45.6 gr 41.6%
    45.7 gr 19.3%
    45.8 gr 14.9%
    45.9 gr 09.3%

My thought now is to batch the 45.7/45.8/45.9 as "A" grade and use the 45.6 gr batch as "B" grade, rejecting the 45.5 grainers entirely.

Boolit Master
    No hijack at all... maybe all of us together can get this figured out....

You will love that 45 WFN NOE boolit... It is not a speed demon but boy does it shoot....

Boolit Master
    GBCAPT... I am curious.... Are you trying to replace the 22 lr? Or just wanting a load to shoot economically in the CZ? I know I tripped and fell into the 'dark side of the farce' and now like doing this just because I like doing it...

Your weight variations are better than mine. I suppose I would put the .6 and the .7 together (assuming no visual defects at all) and use the others for plinking/expansion/penetration testing.

One last question. Is your CZ Hornet a .223 bore? If so, I would send a few 40 gr Arsenal boolits for you to try. I foolishly ordered the mold too small and the boolits fall out at exactly .224 as I ordered. This mold might shine in your rifle...

Dale
    Last edited by castalott; 06-02-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Good evening Castalott,
    good question re: my intention for the CZ - I just want a good all around shooter load. accuracy trumps speed for me in this rifle. Since I am now fully retired, and winters are long here in central Michigan, I have more time to "roll my own" so to speak, and need the mental exercise too.

Still have not mastered casting with this mold, but learn a bit more with every casting session. For instance the batch I cast this A.M. all cast about .2 grains lighter on average than those I previously cast - kept some of the 45.6 s but rejected far more in the 45.2 gr range due to rounded heels.

My hornet is the .223 bore. So far I haven't fired any of these boolits and am researching load data for powder selections before committing to the loading bench to work out best sizing/primer & seating depth. I am thinking perhaps Trailboss for starters, but have Red Dot, IMR 4227, 5774, RL-7, 2400 and Lil-Gun unhand too!

Thanks for the offer re: the 40 gr Arsenal, but I will pass for now. I am too easily distracted and better off limiting the number of bifurcations in my path until I fully explore this branch.

Thanks for your info and assistance!

Boolit Bub
    for Castalott:

Loaded 18 rds 225-45-WFN sized .224 and lubed with 45/45/10 for the hornet over 2.5 gr Trail Boss - 6 each with CCI small pistol Mag/Winchester small pistol/Magtech 7 1/2 small rifle - and proceeded to the range.

50 yd positions were occupied so I went to 25, which was vacant. Weather was near perfect - minimal breeze coming straight down the range and good sunlight, high 60's temp.

Don't seem to be able to upload jpeg of target, but the results were eyeopening.

The STDDEV of the 6 shot groups were as follows: primer - X/Y StdDev - Comment
    CCI small pistol mag - 0.12" X - 0.14" Y - (group with centers all in a .24 X.28 inch oval - nearly round)
    Winchester SP - 0.52" X 0.50" Y - (group with all centers in a 1.04" X 1.0" oval - nearly round, but 3X plus size of above)
    Magtech 7 1/2 small rifle - 0.23" X 0.30" Y - (group with all centers in a 0.43" X 0.60" oval - twice the size as top group)

Three sets of 6 shots are too small a sample tp prove anything, but it suggests a trend that Trail Boss may perform better with a hotter primer. The bullet perforations looked as though there may be some YAW present too.

Next rung on the ladder is to increase charge weight slightly ( 0.1 gr) and reshoot. Will probably stay at 25 yds for comparison sake.

Stay tuned!

Boolit Bub
    Got a few TCM loaded with castalott's bullets. Here is a pic of the 38g on the right (weighed in at 38.5g after PC) next to my 37g bullets on the left.

And, to cap off the night, I loaded 2 dummy rounds of a couple other bullets sent. The 62g on the left and the 48g on the right.

I don't think the 1 in 16 twist will stabilize either of the heavier boolets but I will try first with the 48g after I am done with the 38g which I am certain will do fine.

EDIT:
    Shot the 38gr bullets today. Found a good node at 2.6 to 3 grains of unique under them. Not MOA, but my 22 LR isn't either.

Last edited by boman250; 06-10-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_44a.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	223097

This is my best to date 10 shots ( two five shot groups on yellow hole punch reinforcing rings). The one "flyer between the bottom set and the dime is me getting too friendly too fast with that CZ set trigger!

More to come after a couple of weeks away to WA state to visit daughters family.

Oh and I forgot to acknowledge that this is a 25 yd distance, but I am beginning to sense that " minute of squirrel" is just around the corner!

Boolit Bub
    I had a chance to shoot the 48gr bullet castalott sent me in my 22 TCM the other day. They were just on the outside of being stable. Slightly elongated holes at 1340 FPS. But even then, accuarcy wasnt horrible, about 1" group at 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    i am bumping this old thread to the top as we need to restart our testing. I still have about 8 weeks to finish moving and get settled in and then the fun begins!

I will miss those that have past on in this thread.... Smiles and good thoughts to friends I've never met.... dale

Boolit Bub
    Good to see this thread again. I need to cast up some more of those little bullets and try again now that I moved and have my own private back yard range.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678