WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: lead from railway cars seals

Boolit Mold

lead from railway cars seals

A friend of mine has a large supply of railroad car seals. They look and feel like lead.
    Do any of you know what the alloy mix is of these items?

Boolit Master

I'm assuming (always dangerous) that you mean the seals used to detect whether or not a railcar has been opened?

My best guess would be pure lead, as the seal is usually crimped with a handtool and needs to be soft. If your buddy will let you cast some into boolits you would be able to tell a little better, especially if you have a hardness tester.

My two cents...
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master

Sounds like the same seals the Army uses to seal cases of ammo with.

They're pure lead and make good bullets if you can accumulate enough./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

door seals

Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    A friend of mine has a large supply of railroad car seals. They look and feel like lead.
    Do any of you know what the alloy mix is of these items?
    I just retired with 33 years of working on the railroad in Tulsa okla.As a switchman and conductor i had handson experience with door seals, they are made of steel or cable never saw a door seal made of lead .I did see a seal that was used on the old speed recorders. A thin wire was run through a hasp and crimped with a hand tool.They were about 1/2 inch in dia.,and about 1/8 inch thick.Mostley found them on the floor, the engineers learned how to control the speed recorder so that it would not show them speeding! They were pure lead. Bill

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Sounds like the same seals the Army uses to seal cases of ammo with.

They're pure lead and make good bullets if you can accumulate enough./beagle
    The Army don't use seals. The NAVY uses SEALS! I bet the Army guys couldn't make the seals seal ammo seals for them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    The Army don't use seals. The NAVY uses SEALS! I bet the Army guys couldn't make the seals seal ammo seals for them.
    Say that 5 times fast......

Boolit Master

The Army don't use seals. The NAVY uses SEALS! I bet the Army guys couldn't make the seals seal ammo seals for them
    Say that 3 times fast, 5 times is too many, just as hard as Sally by the seashore selling sea shells.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member