RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I love the 06

Banned

I love the 06

here we go another I love the 06 post. shot a big doe last night doing crop damage shooting with my favorite 06 its a sps that I fitted a cdl stock to. It shoots cheap bulk ww power point 150s into 3/4 of an inch for 5 at a 100 all day long. One of the most consistently accurate deer rifles ive owned. Deer was at a ranged 340 yards. Held about 4 inches high and dropped it in its tracks. That's the kind of performance that keeps the old o6 right at the top of my list of favorites. Bullet went in right behind the shoulder, shredded the lungs and had about a 50 cent piece sized exit wound. I used to be a small bore (24 and 25 cal) fanatic but just found through the years that the good old o6 smacks them a bit better. Especially out past 200 yards. Now I'm sure you can argue that your 2506 would do the same and ive done it myself and even have done it this year, but it just seems that I get more tracking dutys with the smaller bores then I do with the .30s. Call me boring but I could probably get by with that o6 and my 4 5/8s 44 mag super Blackhawk for all my hunting dutys till I died. I know for a fact they would be the last two guns that would leave this house if I had to sell.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    here we go another I love the 06 post. shot a big doe last night doing crop damage shooting with my favorite 06 its a sps that I fitted a cdl stock to. It shoots cheap bulk ww power point 150s into 3/4 of an inch for 5 at a 100 all day long. One of the most consistently accurate deer rifles ive owned. Deer was at a ranged 340 yards. Held about 4 inches high and dropped it in its tracks. That's the kind of performance that keeps the old o6 right at the top of my list of favorites. Bullet went in right behind the shoulder, shredded the lungs and had about a 50 cent piece sized exit wound. I used to be a small bore (24 and 25 cal) fanatic but just found through the years that the good old o6 smacks them a bit better. Especially out past 200 yards. Now I'm sure you can argue that your 2506 would do the same and ive done it myself and even have done it this year, but it just seems that I get more tracking dutys with the smaller bores then I do with the .30s. Call me boring but I could probably get by with that o6 and my 4 5/8s 44 mag super Blackhawk for all my hunting dutys till I died. I know for a fact they would be the last two guns that would leave this house if I had to sell.
    Wasn't it Townsen that said one can never go wrong with a 30-06? Just had mine at the range a few weeks ago and fell in love with it again.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Boring is Good
    Being human is not for sissies.

In Remembrance
    I agree. The old standby 30-06 and it's big brother, the 35 Whelan, are quite capable of taking on most anything that inhabits the USA and Canada. Just keep range to respectable distances, do your part, and they will put the meat in the freezer.

Banned

I love the .30-06. It's what my 1903 and Garand shoot.

I need to put a modern scoped bolt gun together

It's been my #1 rifle cartridge since I was about 10-12. It just works, and works well. What's not to like?

Boolit Master
    -06 was my first centerfire rifle. As long as I have known about guns, I have liked the -06. Like the 308W, too. Something about the short action I like.

In Remembrance

Agree.
    Lloyd, have you tried any of the VLD bullets for long range shooting?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

I'm from a time when there were far fewer calibers to choose from and the /06 was always my choice...sure I had others and shot them and enjoyed them..but everytime I took my trusted 06 into the mountains I had the assurance that should something happen to my ammo for some strange reason...I could walk into any store in any small town and probably get a box of 06 to finish out my trip....in the 50's if you asked for 25-06 you might as well be asking for unicorns.

Quote Originally Posted by ubetcha View Post
    Wasn't it Townsen that said one can never go wrong with a 30-06? Just had mine at the range a few weeks ago and fell in love with it again.
    It was Townsend Whelen who wrote an article in the December 1947 issue of The American Rifleman, entitled "The 30-06 Is Never A Mistake".

He was dead right then, and he is still dead right now.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I love the 30-06. I love DASH cartridges.(22-250,25-06,30-30 etc.) I currently don't own one but I miss the 721 Remington the most of the ones i had. I wish my .270 was a 30-06! THAT oughta get a response! Best, Thomas.

Banned

nope I usually limit my o6 shooting to 300 yards. Unless like last night where I had a rock solid rest and lots of time. No need for fancy bullets for that. If I want to shoot farther its time for a magnum of some sort. I have heard good things about them on the long range forum though. Just a bit to costly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    Agree.

Banned

not a fan of the 270 but have used the 2506 and 280 a lot. I like them too but they just don't have a soft spot for me like the 06. They kind of make me chuckle. When they came out they were toted as better long range rounds then the 06 and honestly at any range they will work well the 06 works as well or better.

Boolit Master
    When I'm serious about putting meat in the freezer , the 3006 comes along .

Seems with all the new cartridges to choose from that this is an unpopular thing to admit, but I too just love the '06.

I have only 1 rifle so chambered now, but it is my own custom build and it will never leave my possession until it is handed down to my son. My most accurate rifle and the one that comes out for anything important. This year I will bring her out to throw some old 200 grain partitions at a moose. I have been saving those bullets since my first year as a hunting guide. That box of partitions and Nosler's number 4 manual were my first tip from a hunter. Oct 1st I will be attempting to talk a big bull moose over to our side of the South Sask river. IF he is willing to play I just might get a chance to use a couple of those partitions!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    nope I usually limit my o6 shooting to 300 yards. Unless like last night where I had a rock solid rest and lots of time. No need for fancy bullets for that. If I want to shoot farther its time for a magnum of some sort. I have heard good things about them on the long range forum though. Just a bit to costly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpileri View Post
    Agree.

I think that is where some of the old time misconceptions come into play. There was the 06 then it was neck down to the 270 and 25-06 as well as the 280 and 6.5 to give better trajectory ballistics from bullets in the hey day. With some of the newer 165 to 180 bullets being made today the 06 can really shine over the aforementioned cals when 1/4 mi shots are made with wind, trajectory, or energy. A lot of them make the 06 a two range gun. Bullets for 200 to 250 yd and under and shots for longer than that. Where the shorter range bullets may be to stout or have bad BC they are good woods killers. When the powerline, clear cut, or cut corn field come into play then these longer range bullets can perform very well, but they might not be the best bullet for woods shooting. With a good tracking scope the two different loads can be used on one gun for the intended purposes. After adjustment just a couple two or three rounds to confirm and then go hunt. Or have two 06s
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

In Remembrance

Lloyd, there is an old saying that pertains to the `06 mighty handily `If it ain`t broke - DON`T FIX IT`!Robert

Boolit Master

30/06

who said , A person can handle anything with 7 hundred dollars and a 30/06???

I hand built one for over two grand. Its real boring to shoot.
    Sittin on 12k Lake City virgin brass, I can shoot all I want to, and screw on a new barrel every couple years.
    and there be more odd sixes in the safe.
    We will never be hungry
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fivegunner View Post
    who said , A person can handle anything with 7 hundred dollars and a 30/06???
    That was a poem Jeff Cooper published;

"But...there ain't too many problems that a man cain't fix, with seven hundred dollars and his .30-06."

I've been playing around with a lot of different calibers that past few years for deer hunting, mostly in lever guns it seems. But the fact is, when you consider all the bases it covers well, and how long it's been doing it, then add in the fact that it does all those things more efficiently than most, the .30-06 is the best cartridge development of all time. Everything is a compromise, but nothing is a better all around gun.