Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The cost of reloading

Boolit Buddy
    Just cracked open a fresh 8lb jug of BL-C(2). This one has a price tag of $122.99. Gotta get my stash stocked up for a couple carbine classes with the 308's this year, lol.

Boolit Grand Master

I suppose loading is a bit like woodworking, gardening, gourmet cooking, beer & wine making and a few other hobbies. Saving money is as good an excuse as any to get into it but for some folks the basic setup is only a starting point. A loading setup is only limited by space and funds available, otherwise the sky's the limit. I still use my old RCBS single stage press and Lee priming tool for most loading projects but hundreds of other "must have" tools have joined them over the years. I haven't been blessed with a "better half" so if I want it (and my credit card company doesn't object) it comes home with me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I hope most of the wives NEVER open this thread to read it. While their content to have anywhere from 30- 150+ pairs of shoes we the male are supposed to work come home from work do not pass go and do not collect the $200 unless it is handed over to them immediately. Well, most here may fall into that grouping. So, they can have a closet or two or three filled with dresses and assorted clothes plus the shoes and handbags we the male are supposed to get along with several pairs of blue jeans, a sunday suit, and two pairs of shoes. Revolt!!! Go to the nearest gun shop pull out your ..................................send the wife to answr the front door to ask the zombies to wait 5-10 minutes until you load up a few rounds. Reloading is fun, gives a manly feeling is cost saving and provides ammo when there is none to be had. Last thing....I created a monster at home. I took the wife shooting many years ago and she loves it. The first 300 blackout I put together she put 6 rounds thru it turned around and looked at me with love in her eyes and said " Your going to make me one of these in OD green" I answered "YES" I will dear. I don't have to hide any guns, components, equipment or anything I buy because at todays count she is ahead of me with gun purchases and simply tells me if you want it either make it or buy it. God I love guns and reloading!!!
    Sorry for the big snip but the stuff in the middle as not really my point.

Yes, and No. Depends and not the undergarments.

We are not all in the same boat. Save money, that is a good thing. Shoot more that is a good thing. Go out to the shop for some peace and relaxation, good too.

I see people with $10's of thousands of dollars of guns here and people who put guns on layaway.

Some that figure if their is a roof over their wife's head and good food in the fridge and pantry then there is money for guns.

Someone who puts a gun on layaway, is that because they don't want to dip into the 6 months of pay they have saved for emergencies or is it on layaway because a check for the full price would bounce?

There have been times I have scrimped and saved and justified purchases based on overtime pay or such when money was tight but it was only tight in the sense that after the bills were paid, the retirement savings were funded the remaining disposable income was small so who's whims should be fulfilled, since not everyone could have everything they desired.

Funny now that I could go out and buy any toy I want (well maybe almost any) I don't seem to be so eager to get more toys. I was in a funk earlier this year and almost talked myself into an AR. Maybe something new will get me shooting more again. I did not buy the AR and I am shooting more again, taking stuff from the back of the safe and having a go at the range. I may still get the AR but now it will be for the right reason not just Retail Therapy.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Should have been blessed with a wife that has spent her life 'doting on the kids and me' as we have always 'doted' on her. A marriage made in Heaven and truly blessed!
    Many times though she would try to dissuade me for a purchase but it was because she already had it wrapped up and in the 'Christmas and Birthday Closet' (a place you did not venture without taking your life in hand).
    Now with Grandkids she has a new couple of recipients..."Ain't life Grand!"
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

I consider all the money I've spent on reloading supplies and tools as well spent. I have something to show for it.
    I could have had fine cars instead of the "73 Suburban that I put 303,780 miles on and traded for the "03 Dodge crew cab I now have 70280 on. I considered them money well spent also.
    There are many who tote a bag of expensive whackers and a hand full of little white eggs in the pursuit of the smallest number.
    Many more leave much of their paycheck in the register and waitress pockets at a bar.
    We all spend our money as we please.
    If I had spent my coins elsewhere I would have missed the joys it provided, the pride in being able to swage, cast, make my own Black powder, gas checks, and 45 ACP shot shells. I would never have machined lowers, and built ARs.
    It's a big part of my life that would likely have been wasted otherwise. It's memories I can now draw on with a measure of pride.
    No I haven't saved a dime, but I wouldn't take a million for the experience. There is no way to put a $$$$ value on that.
    Last edited by mold maker; 09-25-2016 at 07:10 PM.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    I initially started reloading because when my wife and I would go to the range it would cost $300 to shoot for an hour. So I started reloading. Now I do it so I can build the loads I'd prefer to shoot. I still won't buy factory ammo unless it's on sale. And I only buy it so I have a little bit of factory stuff laying around. It's the only hobby I can afford and I enjoy it. Unless I have to sort necked brass. I enjoy it. It's fun to see what I can change that will improve or decrease reliability or accuracy and so on.

Boolit Master

The only ammo I used to buy was what I carried & what my wife carried. Now I reload what I carry and she still has plenty left over from earlier purchases. Got into reloading back in the 1970s for the sake of saving $. Rimfire was getting expensive (I thought) so I went to centerfire altogether. Gave all my rimfires to my son and grandson along with all the ammo accumulated. While components have gone up in price since I can still cast my own boolits and beat the price of either rimfire or centerfire. Along the way I lucked into a fellow who had purchased a new Dillon XL 650 and just couldn't make it work. All thumbs I guess. Bought him out for a fraction of what he had paid for all he had and he had a plenty. Multiple die-plates, dies, powder measures, etc. Same with a Hornady Pro-Jector I got second-hand. It is not nearly the machine that the XL 650 is but it takes care of some of my handgun reloading. I even use an extra Dillon powder measure on it. An old Lyman All American turret press takes care of all my rifle reloading chores which are loaded one at a time. While some think reloaders don't really save money, if you are enough of a penny-pincher you can save if you get your lead for free, cast your own boolits and don't count your time. You get to shoot more for the effort expended and that is worth something to me. Of course, there is the expense of propane for smelting, the electricity for the Lee 20 lb. bottom pour pot and the cost of the pot itself, but I still think I am ahead of the guy who buys all his ammo. I will be helping a friend who is a NRA instructor/trainer teach a big-wig politician in our state legislature how to reload soon. He is well off enough that he will only buy new brass and bullets (no boolits) for reloading and probably will never pick up a piece of brass that he has fired. Must be nice but I'm satisfied with the way things go in my world. Big Boomer

Banned

Everyone misses the most important thing. We learn our guns, how they work and what shoots. We know drop and all the important things.
    I hate the hunters where I live, they never shoot until a deer is there. They buy ammo year to year and every box is different. Yes, they can use a full 20 shots per deer. Nothing to hear 6 shots fast up the hill. All I find is dead deer.
    None are here and the rifle will stand in a corner until season opens. I invite them but they are too busy to bother.
    We are a unique bunch from most shooters and you should be proud and I am proud to be a part.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I hate the hunters where I live, they never shoot until a deer is there.
    Takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Same as here there are those that pay big money once or twice a year to go jump on a charter boat, Caption takes them to the fish, they get their limit and pictures and they then call themselves fishermen.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Same as here there are those that pay big money once or twice a year to go jump on a charter boat, Caption takes them to the fish, they get their limit and pictures and they then call themselves fishermen.
    But we are the best with ethics and knowledge. To me a lost deer is pain I never get over. I have lost some and it hurts but some hunters don't care. If the deer does not fall, they keep hunting and never go look. My hunting is over until I expend the day to recover or can't find it.
    I think you are one of us.

Boolit Master

I figure that with casting my own bullets and reloading, as long as I can recover my brass, I can reload for anywhere from $2.50 to $4.00 per 50-round box of ammo, depending upon caliber and how hot of a load it might be. For the most part though, the cost of the lead is more than the cost of the powder, so if I want to save money, the best way to do that usually is to shoot a lighter bullet.

Here's a quick and dirty ammo cost calculator that I wrote up.

Ammo Costs Calculator

A really heavy load .44 mag load of a 355 gr bullet with 10.5 gr of Longshot would end up costing me $5.17 per 50.
    Whereas a 325 gr bullet with 11.8 gr of Longshot would end up costing me $5.11 per 50.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    But we are the best with ethics and knowledge. To me a lost deer is pain I never get over. I have lost some and it hurts but some hunters don't care. If the deer does not fall, they keep hunting and never go look. My hunting is over until I expend the day to recover or can't find it.
    I think you are one of us.
    The solution to that is to hunt hogs. They're a pest and breed faster than we can kill 'em, so no one is going to break a tear if you fail to recover one.

Boolit Grand Master
    Anyone can save if they reload unless they make poor decisions on equipment needed.

I started with a Lee Target Loader (48 years ago) for my .222. It loaded better ammunition than I could buy at far less cost. It was slow, but I could not afford to shoot much...so it fit my needs....not my wants.

Over the years, my needs increased and I was able to satisfy my wants. I do not need a Dillon 1050, but it is excellent at producing a lot of pistol ammo. It is a stupid investment for the two box a week shooter. Worth it if shooting 400 rounds per week and working long hours.

Our future may hold some unpleasant surprises. Having the means to produce ammunition could become important. I cannot put a "cost" or should I say value on that.

If a person cannot calculate the "cost of reloading", and decide if it makes sense for them, they do not have the mental capacity to reload safely. The value is different depending on each persons reasons and objectives.

For me, there are only two reasons.....savings.....self sufficiency. If I could buy ammunition for the cost of reloads, and be assured a constant supply, I would never cast another bullet or load another cartridge. The incremental performance advantages of reloads are not enough to justify the time invested, the space needed, or the equipment costs.

For many it is fun and relaxing. I envy them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    The solution to that is to hunt hogs. They're a pest and breed faster than we can kill 'em, so no one is going to break a tear if you fail to recover one.
    We have none here and I agree. Like the snakes that got in. They take them to a place---stupid, SHOOT THEM! A chopper with a mini gun is not enough.
    But deer are different, good meat. I don't know. I feel for them different. Not like trapping rats.
    I ate wild hog meat and still prefer farm raised.

Boolit Master

Using the figures that I previously posted on .44 mag, let's compare that with a commercial .44 mag round... A quick web search seems to indicate that a basic .44 mag in the 300+ gr range goes for around $33 per 50. So, we're staving $27.83 per 50 rounds. If you had $1K in equipment, then you would break even after 1797 rounds.

If you start talking about the boutique ammo manufacturer rounds (e.g. Underwood), you would reach the break-even point even sooner. For example, Underwood's 340 gr LFN is $133.60 per 100, so you would break even after 749 rounds.

I suspect that if all I was shooting was .44 mag in a revolver, I could get by with a LOT less than $1K in equipment though.

Lee Classic 4-hole Turret Press -- $104
    Lee .44 mag Deluxe 4-die set (includes FCD) -- $44
    Lee 20 lb casting pot -- $53
    Lee 430-310-RF 6-cavity bullet mold -- $38
    Frankford Arsenal electronic powder scale -- $36
    Hornady Powder Measure -- $74

Total of $349...

Most of us though tend to acquire a few more pieces of equipment though...

Banned

It is hard for a new guy because it is TIME. As years go by. It gets better. My .44's cost a dime a shot. My .500's are maybe 13 cents. Even a new gun has little outlay. You have the basics and do not need a progressive.

Boolit Master
    I like being self sufficient and making better ammo than I can buy. I don't mind the added cost or the time outlay. If it lasts me another 20-30 years I can only imagine what it will save me over time. Some people go to bars, some chase women, some watch sports; I stay home enjoy a beer and pulling on the handle of my press. Going to the range and shooting tiny holes in targets is fun too .

I worried about the break even cost for the first year and then figured heck with it. I've spent more on the guns than I ever will on reloading gear.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

$30,508.38. I was paying bills so I figured I'd run a report. This is everything reloading related including items like lead, tooling, manuals and storage boxes. I really don't need to buy any more molds. Reloading tools are outpacing them by a mere $332.61.

It appears it's a good thing I don't swage because the total would probably be close to double w/ how I buy things. Maybe it's time I sell all my molds and buy a master caster......

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    I like being self sufficient and making better ammo than I can buy. I don't mind the added cost or the time outlay. If it lasts me another 20-30 years I can only imagine what it will save me over time. Some people go to bars, some chase women, some watch sports; I stay home enjoy a beer and pulling on the handle of my press. Going to the range and shooting tiny holes in targets is fun too .

I worried about the break even cost for the first year and then figured heck with it. I've spent more on the guns than I ever will on reloading gear.
    I have four progressives so that reloading does not take too much time away from chasing women. I used to have seven, but at my age, woman tire me out more quickly.

Boolit Master

I used to have seven, but at my age, woman tire me out more quickly.
    You must be the guy from the song, you know: four that want to own me, two that want to stone me...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast