WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Hand DePrimer Tool

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Hand DePrimer Tool

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/22...-deprimer-tool
    I guess one should read descriptions of products more closely. For the longest time, from looking at pictures of this tool, it looks like a plastic molded tool. But then last week I finally read the description and discovered it is cast aluminum. I actually bought mine from Cabellas as they had a lower price and their shipping was less. I received mine today and it is a good solid build. Only 4 plastic parts in the whole thing. 3 collets and 1 spent primer catch cup. You select the collet closest to the size of the brass you want to deprime, screw the cap down until the case just slides in and out. That holds the case centered so when you pull the handle, it pushes the spent primer out and into the cup. Very easy to operate and the spent primer dirt doesn't get all over your press. I like it.

Love mine, and my dies really love only working with squeeky clean citric acid washed cases. Every ones happy.
    Reasonably decent price on it. I have only had one boxer primer that I just could not get out so I just scrapped that piece. Come back from the range, deprime brass, get it soaking in citric acid bath and hot water, agitate a few times, rinse twice. Some brass I will take the time to clean primer pockets with a brush.
    Some I am just not that fussy.

My biggest one day batch was I think 100 rounds or more of 9mm, 50 of .40sw and 40 of .45acp.

Like all really good tools, it simply works. Keep the allen handy, those pivot screws will work loose on you over time.

Boolit Master

I like mine I can deprime and watch tv

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Love mine, and my dies really love only working with squeeky clean citric acid washed cases. Every ones happy.
    Reasonably decent price on it. I have only had one boxer primer that I just could not get out so I just scrapped that piece. Come back from the range, deprime brass, get it soaking in citric acid bath and hot water, agitate a few times, rinse twice. Some brass I will take the time to clean primer pockets with a brush.
    Some I am just not that fussy.

My biggest one day batch was I think 100 rounds or more of 9mm, 50 of .40sw and 40 of .45acp.

Like all really good tools, it simply works. Keep the allen handy, those pivot screws will work loose on you over time.
    Have you considered putting a tiny amount of blue thread locker on the threads of those screws that keep loosening? The blue is medium strength and would allow you to remove them, but they would not work loose on their own.

Yes I considered it but at this moment in time do not have any. It is not enough of a hassle that I want to risk not being able to take it apart.

Boolit Master

Stick a short length of monofilament fishing line in the threaded hole and then install the set screw.

Boolit Grand Master

I dismissed the tool because the term " universal collet" , in my experience, actually means that it "doesn't fit anything well" . If this bad boy actually works , I think it would be worth the cost. I like sitting in my easy chair and priming , sitting and de-priming would be cool !
    I reload 9mm luger , 38/357 , 41 mag , 45 acp , 30-30 , 7.5 Swiss , 30-06 and 303 British.
    Anyone have problems decapping any of those ? Read most of the reviews on Midway site , looks good on hand gun cases .
    I've got a few gift cards that need spending if this gizmo really works !

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-23-2016 at 02:22 PM.

I haven't had any trouble with .223, .357 mag, 9mm, 45acp or 300 winmag. This tool is well built and the only thing the collets do is hold the case centered so the decapping pin lines up. Easy to use.

Mine eats .223, .357, 9mm, .40sw, .45acp, 7.62x54r, 7.62x39, .30-30, have not yet tried the big .444 marlin but I have no doubts it will eat that also.

Whats more it tells me when I am doing 9mm if a .380 has snuck in as they just don't fit the same.
    Doing depriming watching TV after an hour at the range is a pure luxury.
    And my dies love only working with clean citric acid washed brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the reviews guys, sounds like they do work.....SWEET !
    Gary

Boolit Master
    Although it deprimes, don't you still have to run your brass through your decapper to resize it?
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Don't overheat your Teflon around your pet bird...
    PTFE toxicity occurs when the nonstick cookware is overheated. The excessive heat creates a gas emission that is typically harmless to humans and other mammals. Birds, however, are particularly sensitive to the airborne gas emission—even in small dosages due to their high metabolic rate and unique anatomy (high levels of oxygen are emitted to their musculature system in order to fly).
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Bub
    It's built well. Great if you are tumbling/polishing before sizing. Keeps your dies clean.

Boolit Buddy
    In this application (hand held) fingernail polish will hold as well as blue thread lock and most every household has a bottle around somewhere. Easy to break loose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post
    Although it deprimes, don't you still have to run your brass through your decapper to resize it?
    Usually, yes. The guys that wet tumble and sonic clean prefer to do so without the spent primer still in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I dry tumble and prefer not to get the lead styphanate in my tumbling mix. I decap first.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    The power of advertising! Amazing how many tool's we can pick up that do the same exact job!

Boolit Master
    Now all we need is someone to figure out what to use instead of those plastic collets. I've lost one already.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere in the woods of Central Oklahoma
    Not sure I understand the advantage of this $40 hand tool when a Lee Universal Decapper for $14 does the same job. ?? I use the Lee tool in my Co-Ax press and it easily pops in to do the task. Of course, I don't carry my Co-Ax into the house so I can watch television while decapping.
    Chris

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Not sure I understand the advantage of this $40 hand tool when a Lee Universal Decapper for $14 does the same job. ?? I use the Lee tool in my Co-Ax press and it easily pops in to do the task. Of course, I don't carry my Co-Ax into the house so I can watch television while decapping.
    Different strokes for different folks! Like you, I see no benefit to it, but I load in bulk and my girlfriend would not be pleased if I brought in a few hundred dirty cases into the family room. And I still need to put them through the sizing die so just wasted effort....but I feel that way about the Lee die as well. But I am old school and may be missing something. Which leads to....

Why decap as a separate operation? But I do not wish to hijack the thread and will start a new one.

Always willing to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast