Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Ideal Tool #?

Boolit Master

Ideal Tool #?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0033_zpsrgvisn3a.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	176982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0032_zpsxcuyzpal.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	176983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0031_zpsu2nxgrtx.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	176984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0030_zpsfmmdpgoe.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	176985
    Picked up an Ideal tool at Canton Trade Days for $20. Nickel plated, marked 38 Special. Which model is it and what are the components of the proper die set for it? It appears that primer seating is built in and does not require a priming chamber like my newer Lyman tool bought in the late 60's.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    You still need a muzzle resizer, decapper, mouth expander and seater die. The .38 Special dies will have a number 95 stamped on the body if not later dies marked as to caliber. Expander plug should be .358". The Lee 0.5cc dipper is correct and measures 4.6 grains of Unique for a "full charge" load. A 0.3cc dipper measures 3.5 grains of TiteGroup or 2.8 grains of Bullseye.

Attachment 176997
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice find! I think that tool would have been catalogued as a #3 and made right up until Lyman quit making civilian reloading tools for the WW II war effort. I believe they originally came with nickel plated dies, but you could use a set of brand new 38/357 dies if you want to. As Outpost75 stated, you can use dippers with it; then you will be able to complete your "kitchen table" or "load on the go" reloading package. I have to say my most exotic reloading site was a hotel room in Etna Green, IN when I needed some BP loads for a 38-55... and it worked like a champ! You have correctly surmised that priming is done in the second hole, a practice that was discontinued when the tool style was changed to take bushings for different cartridge base dimensions... on a single caliber (or base diameter family of calibers) the style on you old #3 worked well through the end of the 19th and much of the 20th Centuries. Except for that, you will use it exactly like your '60s vintage tool and you should be able to wear it out by some time in the 22nd Century.

Enjoy!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"