Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Bring Back Brent Danielson's Paper Patching Website

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it served a useful purpose, bring back the Brent's website.

64 95.52%
  • No don't bring it back it was of no use to anyone.

3 4.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brent Danielson's Paper Patching Website

Brent Danielson's Paper Patching Website

Brent Danielson, for a long time had a webpage on paper patching. I have referred many a person to it for information on paper patching. It was also linked on the Martini Henry Resource page on Jason's www.martinihenry.com.

For some unknown reason, U.S. magazine writers and U.S. championship blackpowder shooters have felt it necessary to criticize Brent's work, because they don't feel he has the credentials to write such material. He is not a championship shooter. He isn't a regular contributor to any periodical. He is an experienced shooter who is willing to share his knowledge with those of use who wish to learn. In the face of criticism from these "esteemed" shooters Brent has pulled his website down.

I have written Brent and suggested his work is important to more people shooting blackpowder cartridges world wide than the Sharps/HighWall/Ballard BPCR Silhouette shooters. Shooters world wide depended on Brent's webpage for guidance. Those Championship shooters and magazine experts didn't use Brent's website...us common folks, worldwide do!

Here is you chance to get the word to Brent, bring the website back. Get the word out about this poll, get people over here to vote.
    Douglas, Ret.

Moderator Emeritus
    Yes it is a sad loss, I'd spotted it had gone in January when I tried to link a poster here to it. At that time it was still cached in google but I just tried the link and thats gone too.

I have the article saved in Word, If you are in contavy with Brent then perhaps he would let us post it here or on Cast Pics.

By the sounds of it Douglas there seems to be some invidious snobbery around the hobby over there.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Perhaps it would be appropriate to arrange to locate the information HERE, as an "especiale supremo sticky" ? We obviously get quite a few people in this topic area who lack a basic base of data. BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Banned

me being one of them

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Brent had a very good article. It belongs in the black powder section though and is somewhat caliber specific now. By all means, try to get it back up.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    Dromia, some of the nicest people you will ever meet shoot BPCR, unfortunately, some of the biggest butt heads also shoot it. I don't mind the older crowd who have been shooting BPCR for a while giving their opinions, but unfortunately, some of them don't just want to put forward their opinion, they want to insult anyone who don't aggree with them (this also goes for some of the young hotshots). This is the only site I am a member of now, I was a member of another site, but the BPCR section got closed down after a new poster asked about a smokeless load for an old 45/100 or some old BP caliber and a number of the members attacked the newbie. Some of the postings were mean and uncalled for. I have not gone back to that site since then.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    I liked Brent's site. And ... if posting shooting info. on the Internet entails having some credentials, being a championship shooter, or writing for a periodical, I guess somebody should delete the non-sense I post here from time to time. That's not to say that I've ever posted anything as well done as Brent's site. Get him to come on over here. Us regular Joes would love to hear his thoughts and ideas.

Keith

Well, I posted a link so he knows we are talking about him and would like him to come over here
    http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2239

Todd

Boolit Buddy
    I am just starting out on this paper patch idea and would very much appreciate any information on the subject by someone that will not talk down to the less experianced shooter.
    Dan

Boolit Master
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/xPPBx.xhtmlx

Try this link Brent's paper is there.

Its a good read for the novice and new paper patch shooter good info.

The lunger

Kenny Wasserburger

Boolit Master

You know, I read that paper years ago. It got me excited about paper patching again.
    I have just now done some patching. I do not use flour, or egg white. Just water. Works pretty well.
    I liked the part about reading the patch. I have yet to find a piece, but when I do, I am going to read it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If there is a poster here that has a their own website or a blog .... send me an email. I saved Brent's webpage (including the pictures) in Microsoft Word and a MHT file. I'll send you an email with the website as an attachment

It could then be posted here as an http:// link to your website or blog and with the administrator's assistance as a STICKY

I could post it now as text only but not the jpg's that were on his site ... which are important

I tried to use the forum's attachment capability but the file exceeds the attachment size limits
    Last edited by John Boy; 06-05-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    Regards
    John

He does not appear to have taken it down due to a lack of having a place to host it. He appears to have taken it down because of the criticism and the grief that caused him.

I also found it valuable and have a saved copy, but you might want to ask his opinion before appropriating and publishing his work. Forcing the issue is likely to make other people think twice about putting useful things up on the web in the future.

-ktw
    Last edited by ktw; 06-05-2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: sp

Moderator Emeritus
    Ditto ktw.

As i said previously I have a copy and could post it here as a sticky but won't do so without Brent's permission hence my request to DD to ask him.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    While I appreciate the support, I took the website down for a reason. I would not like to see it reposted. The single biggest reason for taking it down is Kenny Wasserburger (he of many many championships that he loves to tell everyone about over and over).

So, perhaps Kenny will tell you how to make, load and shoot ADVANCED paper patched bullets just like he does. I am also sure he will be happy to tell you exactly how well he has done with them.

I continue to consider putting up a revised version. I started a major revision of the old pages, but after Kenny, DanT, and Mike Venturino told me to go stand in a corner and shut-up, I gave it up as it was full of bugs anyway (I'm not a webpage expert either ). I am tired of listening to the critics.

However, if you email me, I will be happy to help anyone that is interested, but remember, these are just beginner bullets, 'cause I'm not an "expert"...

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    http://www.public.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/xPPBx.xhtmlx

Try this link Brent's paper is there.

Its a good read for the novice and new paper patch shooter good info.

The lunger

Kenny Wasserburger
    So Kenny when will you put up the advanced paper patching website and share your Championship techniques?
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Master
    Brent,

I ment to say new and experienced PP shooter.

Missed a word.

Was making a complement to your work-efforts. Honestly.

Oh well.

Looking forward to seeing you at Raton.

The Lunger

Boolit Master

Way To Go Brent. That's right funny I believe.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator

.................Brent, I used your page years ago along with Paul Matthews' book "The Paper Jacket" to get started paper patching when I aquired a MkIV 577-450 Martini. In the intervening years I've managed to paper patch for two 45-70's, a 45-90, two 577-450's, a 7.62x54R, a Whitworth and Rigby LR match rifles, and most recently a Uberti Hi-Wall 38-55. Over the years I have seen countless referrels to your webpage.

In all humility I am going to suggest you let a couple people (who are really just like you, me and everyone else, regardless what THEY think) who apparently hold themselves above others, convince you your website was without value. It seems they won, eh?

Yet on the other hand there has been myself and so far as I know, countless others who have benefited from your page. Yourself, myself and those others who might have been refered there are the resulting loosers now.

I do not know KW except from occassional visits to the BPCR forum on the old Shooters.com board, and here. Everyone has opinions and they're welcome to them. I don't personaly know, nor have I met Mr Venturino. However I have read his stuff since he's been in print. Mike Venturino is nothing any more special then anyone else. Many of his early articles were full of silly simple mistakes, and the fact he put them in print was refreshing. Apparently he has let his perceptions of his own greatness go to his head if he thought he'd found some way to badmouth your webpage.

I suggest you put it back up, and put the 'Whiners' on your ignore list instead. Let the rest of us use it.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Double D View Post
    So Kenny when will you put up the advanced paper patching website and share your Championship techniques?
    ............I'd be interested too. Need to find out what I've been doing wrong all these years.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast