Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Green Bar Paper For Patching

Boolit Mold

Green Bar Paper For Patching

Noticed many comments about the Green Bar paper for patching and how difficult it was to find. Did some digging around and found a store that wanted to get rid of some, so I bought it cheap. A full box, never opened. 14" x ??.
    It's available to anyone that needs some, very inexpensive also. Postage.
    Best offer I have for now.
    Hope this helps.

Send me a PM and we will go from there.

Green bar paper works pretty well for patching bullets used with smokeless powder. Not so well with black powder, it's too thick for normal bullet/paper combinations.

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    Why should the kind of powder make a difference? Same bullet, same chamber and bore, same case.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    Why should the kind of powder make a difference? Same bullet, same chamber and bore, same case.
    Not necessarily. Smokeless shooters tend to shoot bullets wrapped to full groove + diameter. Blackpowder shooters interested in accuracy tend to use bullets wrapped to bore diameter or just a touch over. Also shooting paper that is to heavy tends to not shred well, that causes some bullet/paper separation problems that can really affect down range accuracy.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Totally differnt powders have a very very different pressure curve.. The much thicker paper requires a much smaller bullet diameter.. Unless you patch to groove.

Green bar paper would be the last choice for patching for smokeless or black powder.
    I used that double layer fan fold paper green bar or white, both are the same paper except one had green lines on it for a particular use. I used this paper for my impact dot matrix impact printing for the RTTY machines. This paper has a lot of clay sizing in it to make it tough enough to take the impact of the pins so they don't puncture through the paper. There is a lot of better paper to use for patching then this stuff. I still had a couple boxes on the shelf and by request I gave it away. The little cookie munchers had a great time drawing on it when they came to visit.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Green bar paper would be the last choice for patching for smokeless or black powder.
    I used that double layer fan fold paper green bar or white, both are the same paper except one had green lines on it for a particular use. I used this paper for my impact dot matrix impact printing for the RTTY machines. This paper has a lot of clay sizing in it to make it tough enough to take the impact of the pins so they don't puncture through the paper. There is a lot of better paper to use for patching then this stuff. I still had a couple boxes on the shelf and by request I gave it away. The little cookie munchers had a great time drawing on it when they came to visit.
    I'm new to the paper patching arena and would like to know the better paper for the black and the smokeless powders. Offered the green bar because some were commenting about how hard it was to find, and I found some.
    Always learning and appreciate what others have to offer.
    Thanks again for your help.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Not necessarily. Smokeless shooters tend to shoot bullets wrapped to full groove + diameter. Blackpowder shooters interested in accuracy tend to use bullets wrapped to bore diameter or just a touch over. Also shooting paper that is to heavy tends to not shred well, that causes some bullet/paper separation problems that can really affect down range accuracy.
    Would like to know more about how the blackpowder only wrap to bore diameter. How thick is the paper wrap when they are shooting ? Have read what most smokeless shooters are doing but didn't know the blackpowder shooters were using a different style.

Thank you.

Boolit Master
    Hipshot1, the Seth Cole 8lb paper works quite well with black powder and bullets patched to bore. It is about 0.0016" thick.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hipshot1 View Post
    Would like to know more about how the blackpowder only wrap to bore diameter. How thick is the paper wrap when they are shooting ? Have read what most smokeless shooters are doing but didn't know the blackpowder shooters were using a different style.

Thank you.
    You start with a bullet that is anywhere from .008 to .004 under bore diameter and wrap it in a thin paper.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Mold
    Buffalo Arms sells a 9 lb. onionskin paper for blackpowder bullet shooters. I use it in .45/70, .45/110 and .50/90. it works well and they also have the templates for cutting it to proper size.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm You can start right here to get guidance. He has his act together using the PP bullets.

In Remembrance
    Different bullet bump-up characteristics.

You can use green bar or onionskin to patch to groove diameter as long as you match bullet diameter and paper thickness to get a 'package' which will chamber.
    With that settled, you can use smokeless or black as propellant.
    Because the bore is filled before the bullet begins to move, there is no blow-by with either powder.

When patching to bore, you can use small bullets and thick paper, or you can use thin paper and fat bullets.
    The latter combination usually works best, but you can get performance from both.
    The thing is - the difference is - the patched bullet does not fill the barrel. Therefore, it will need to bump up quickly to prevent blowby.

You can't expect smokeless to make that happen fast enough ... so black is your only choice.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Mold

Seth Cole 8lb paper

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Hipshot1, the Seth Cole 8lb paper works quite well with black powder and bullets patched to bore. It is about 0.0016" thick.

Chris.
    Would like to know a source on this paper.
    Thanks again,
    Robert

Boolit Grand Master

One thing I have found with diffrent papers is the thicker tougher papers dont always shread and release as consistantly as the thinner papers do. In my 45-90 or 45-80 with Baco onin paper or the Seth Cole paper the confetti underwrap is ussually found with in 2-3 ft of the muzzle. The heavier papers may be as far out as 8-10 feet from the muzzle. Findingthe patch remnants 2-3 feet from the muzzle indicates that they are sheding at the muzzle or close to it. The 8-10 feet that they are hanging to the bullet farther out in flight. Also the heavier papers confetti isnt as well shreadded and fine as the lighter papers. Ideally the paper should come off at the muzzle or very close to it for consistancy, If it hangs on and simply unwrapps it distorts the bullets flight path.

Boolit Master
    Robert I've always bought mine from random places on the internet . Just search for Seth Cole 55W.

i have a bunch of 0.002" thick paper from Buffalo Arms. I used to use it a lot in one of my .45-110's but not so much recently. I have a new .443" elliptical mold from Buffalo Arms. I've never tried such a small diameter bullet, but it does look like it fits my Badger barreled .45-70's when dry patched with the 0.002' paper.

Chris.