Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Is it my load or my shooting?

Boolit Master
    44 man you always amaze me!! nice shooting

Boolit Master
    How you hold that Winny ? I get the best accuracy if I rest my hand on a bag and hold the fore end firmly pulling back at about 45 digrees with it tight against my shoulder with no rear rest ,sounds strange compared to shooting a bolt gun but they are different.hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    If you are getting sub inch 50 yard groups with factory ammo, it is obviously the cast load that is the problem, not you. I have heard the Winchesters run tighter than Marlins, but have you slugged the bore? It may be looser than you think. I had to hone out the neck portion of the seating die to allow loading them, but my brother shoots .311+" boolits in his 94 with sub inch 50 yard accuracy. The Marlin I have been tinkering with is also shooting .311" boolits and is running right at an inch at 50 yds. at 2,100+ fps. I would try something other than LLA for lube too. You can just rub some of a different lube in the grooves if you don't have a lubrisizer, I did it a lot when testing different lubes.
    good luck.

Boolit Bub
    Next time i shoot i am going to have a buddy try my rifle, after mulling it over and alot of reflection i do recall a few shots that felt as if they were slower? If that makes sense, the time between squeezing the trigger and the recoil hitting my shoulder just felt slightly off, could it be an ignition issue? And if so how would i deal with that?

Banned

One thing to look for in the 30-30 is run out. Roll a round on a flat bench and watch the boolit wobble. I found the necks were all a different thickness and much thicker on one side. I turned all the necks just enough to even them. They might need fire formed after.
    I can't measure it on the boolit, none are round and the parting line is a bump. I just measured a loaded round on the end of the neck and am down to .002" to 0 now.
    That much difference I found will also affect the boolit pull.
    A check just a tad over the boolit size will change pull by opening the brass when you seat. It will change the burn.
    I don't like 4198, found 3031 about the best, 4895 and Varget close behind.
    Working 4198 in my BFR 45-70, loads weighed to perfect, I had excursions from 1600 to 1800+ fps with cast but for some reason it worked with jacketed. I had a few stuck cases with class II loads. I does not shoot good in my 30-30.Attachment 177716 I designed this boolit to fit my Marlin and this was 3031 at 100. Last 3 shots in the can. The boolit is 187 gr. I used 26 gr of 3031 and Felix lube. Fed 210 primer.
    I size just enough to chamber and they will not go into a 94 unless I FL.

Boolit Master

According to Quickload: Out of a 20" barrel, 22 grns of H4198 with that boolit, will give you 1,792fps and 26,483 psi.
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelvis View Post
    According to Quickload: Out of a 20" barrel, 22 grns of H4198 with that boolit, will give you 1,792fps and 26,483 psi.
    awesome thanks, that should be plenty for bambi out to 150 I should think?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12