RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee lube and sizing kit

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Lee lube and sizing kit

Are the Lee lube and sizing kit any good or Lee Liquid Alox
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy
    they work just fine for me.
    Have lead, Will cast

I have been using them with good results. I eventually plan to get a lube/sizer but have been hesitant due to cost. If they don't have the size you need, they can always be opened up by lapping. Many threads discuss this, use the search. It is best if you slug your barrel first before ordering so you know your groove size then order the sizer .001-.002 over groove size.
    "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical. " - Thomas Jefferson

"Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots." - John Adams

Both the sizing die and the lube have been great for me!!

Well, I looked at it this way. I could spend $250 for a good quality lube-sizer or I could spend $15 for the Lee size/lube kit.

I figured I'd try the $15 first and see if I like it. If I didn't, I could always sell it for $10, take the $5 loss, and go spend the $250 to buy the lube-sizer later.

Thousands of boolits later, I have 4 of the Lee kits for various calibers and still going strong.
    -Bob

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
    Enduring the Obamination.

Only thing I have noticed about all three I own is they are all .001 smaller than listed, i.e .358 swags them to .357 and so on. Maybe others have had this experience or not, but its been mine.

Boolit Buddy
    I just bought a .429 that is putting out .4285

be

Boolit Master
    My Lee sizer is spot on - the bullets come out exactly as they should.

It is possible that differences in casting alloy used cause the undersize bullets from the Lee sizer die. Different alloys will have different amounts of "snap back", so to speak. I can't know, of course, if this is the case with your dies, but it is possible.

Just something to consider.

In Remebrance

I have 3 lubersizers and several Lee set ups. Both types work fine. The Lee just requires a different lube method. The Mule Snot (LLA) seems to work good in most of the guns I've tried in in to 14-1500 fps at least. I don't think it's the best lube, but it's not junk IMO.

I had a Lyman lube/sizer 40 years ago. Sold it. Kind of gave up shooting for quite a few years. I got back into casting/handgun shooting 6 or 7 years ago and started with the Lee 6 cavity molds and their sizer kits with LLA. I've loaded around 30,000 rounds in the past few years and had good luck with the sizer's and LLA.

I now use XLOX available from an advertiser on this forum. Same stuff as near as I can tell and lower in cost. Works just as well for me. Of course, if you buy the sizer kit from Lee, it comes with LLA and a little bottle will last a long time.

XLOX- http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html
    Cloudpeak

Boolit Master

They are the "Cats Meow" for the price. Like stated before all you need is $15-$20 and shazzam you can size your boolits.
    There are many lubes you can experiment Tumble lubing/dipping/pan lubing. ie....... LLA, JPW, Beeswax, Mixing them in different combos.
    The greatest is, you can put these Lee size dies on almost any press you have handy and size boolits(cast bullets) like a king.
    If you do get one that is .0005 off it's no big deal to open it up a touch.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Never used the mule snot (LLA) but I have used the Lee sizing dies a lot in several calibers when I was pan lubing. The sizing dies do very well. If they size too small, just hone them out with some emery paper till you get the diameter that you need. The Lee push through sizers are first class for the price. Actually they do just a good of a job as a high dollar sizer as far as sizing goes. And they are a nose first sizer too which is a plus.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

That is why you see so many on feebay. The only people that use the old mans stuff is the the over the hill guys. They dont know how the new things work . If it wasnt for the kids they couldnt get on line

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    That is why you see so many on feebay. The only people that use the old mans stuff is the the over the hill guys. They dont know how the new things work . If it wasnt for the kids they couldnt get on line
    Wha you talkin' 'bout Willace?

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    I don't really know where you were going with this one Shotman. If it was a slam againgst Lee push through sizers or those who use them then you are way over to the left. If it was a joke then I wish that you would had made it clearer.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dcp View Post
    Are the Lee lube and sizing kit any good or Lee Liquid Alox
    I hope so, I have five of them.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Hey listen, it's tough being a dottering old fool. But remember, if you keep breathing long enough you're going to be one some day.
    Qajaq59

One slow hit is better then 500 quick misses. "It ain't the noise that kills 'em!!!!"

Boolit Grand Master

I use them for relatively low volumn shooting in revolvers. Lube sizers are so much more convienent in lubing than pan lubing. I got tired of that quick.

Yeah, they work fine. They just don't do what they were never designed to do - wait, that's true of most things, isn't it?!!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

i use them also, decent results. if you have the money, and you are certain you are going to do this 4 a while, buy a lubriser, and never look back. but, if like most of america, money is tight, the lee sizers work fine, the lee liquid alox works fabulous for pistol rounds, and i am haveing mixed results with rifle rounds. the one thing i wish lee did differently, was sell one sizer kit for starting out, containing the plastic boolit catcher, and a base die. then sell screw in inserts of various sizes for $3-5.00 each. it would be financialy benificial for those of us just starting out, where you need to experiment on what size sizer is needed for a particular gun (buying a .309, then .310, then.311 etc until you finally get the sizing right. PLUS you really only need one of the boolit catchers. i am getting so many they are starting to plug up my reloading cabinette! LOL!

Boolit Master
    Lee bashing always seems to rub me wrong. I use Lee lube sizers for every caliber I cast and handload for. 45ACP, 357MAG, 30Carbine and 8MM. They work fine for me. I also use LLA and have never had a problem. I just don't understand the bashing. If Lee made such poor quality handloading products they should have been out of business yrs. ago. Maybe some of you that have used their tools didn't have a full understanding of how to use them. I have made mistakes with some myself but it was my mistake. Not the tools.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast