MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: What is up with HazMat?

Perma-Banned

What is up with HazMat?

...other than the price.

Was looking at powder/primers tonight and everywhere that had what I wanted...had $30 hazmat fee.

In July, I bought 11lbs of powder and 10k primers...$22 hazmat fee...what is the deal with the increase?
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 09-16-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Banned
    I'll give you the short version DOT-SP 16081 regulatory system affected 49 CFR parts 106,107,and 171. 49 CFR Ss 178.602 packages must be tested in the same manner as if prepared for transport. Haz Mat (49 CFR S 172.101) Haz Mat descriptions of materials and ID numbers.

They do NOT want you to have primers, powder & the ability to reload ammo.

I believe they figured out that if they came for our guns we would rise up and hunt them all down and kill them.
    So they figured next best solution is to have no ammo, or expensive enough that only the well off have any amount of ammo.

I truly believe that those in power, and the elites are terrified of us country boy's and our shotguns and deer rifles.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cabela's was $20 just a couple of weeks ago when I ordered 40k primers.

Boolit Master

Its not impossible to roll back the cost of this fee.
    It might be something Trump might consider if becoming President.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I just got an e-mail from Ballistic Products advertising 50% off Hazmat fee which is now $30.00. This promo ends 9-22.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I just got an e-mail from Ballistic Products advertising 50% off Hazmat fee which is now $30.00. This promo ends 9-22.
    "We can sell below cost because we make it up on volume!"

Hazmat fees are a way to milk the public for more money.

They take something that costs nothing, and charge for it.

I used to carry arms and ammo professionally. What comes to me putting placards on my truck.
    Costs the companies nothing. Yet EVERY box has to be paid for. Yet many times the trucker only carries 49 pounds of powder, primers or ammo. Yet every person paid the fee.

Some sporting goods companies, only will transport 49 pounds or less, yet collect you fee.

Ive carried 80,000 pounds before, and 49 pounds a lot more.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Vendor Sponsor

Lead Fred sorry but you are some what wrong on this ..
    UPS and Fed Ex came up with this Haz Mat FEE .. anyone having powder or primers shipped thru either of these companies has to pay this fee .

What some wholesalers and retailers are doing right now is offering a discount on the haz mat to goat you into buying more powder .. They over ordered during the shortages and now have more than they are comfortable carrying
    its easy to offer what amounts to a small discount to move overstocked inventory
    example Midsouth offered a $15.00 haz mat but you had to order 15 lbs of powder so that amounts to a $1.00 a pound discount.. They ( MidSouth) STILL payed UPS the $28.50 UPS charges them

Now add that to the Gas Surcharge you are Still paying for each delivery and WE ALL have something to gripe about

PS AS a FFL holder and previous web store owner I was a HAZ MAT certified shipper for many years too
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 09-17-2016 at 05:52 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    If your shipment goes by air then there is a lot more paperwork involved for the aviation company. Not $30 worth but maybe $5 worth of work for someone.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

Ahh, I am pretty sure that Hazmat fee goes to the Feds, supposedly to pay for hazmat spills/accidents, but in-fact is just another tax to generate income to be transferred to those who don't work. Yes, Trump needs to get rid of it.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Ahh, I am pretty sure that Hazmat fee goes to the Feds, supposedly to pay for hazmat spills/accidents, but in-fact is just another tax to generate income to be transferred to those who don't work. Yes, Trump needs to get rid of it.
    NO...the hazmat fee does not go to the government...shippers keep the fee.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    NO...the hazmat fee does not go to the government...shippers keep the fee.
    I second that. Hazmat is a fee to offset any costs that the shipper might incur if there was a problem in shipping. Not required by the Fed's, but not prohibited by them. There's a lot of made up fees imposed by phone companies and other businesses such as luggage fees added to a ticket cost by most airlines. Just a way to increase profits and make it seem like a required charge.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Master
    Hazmat handling is required For Industry . But the fee is not regulated . A company can charge anything they want. most are competitive . I worked in The printing industry. The training is nothing but packing separate in Hazmat box pre market and placing a separate sticker. Hazmat is shipped to the same facility but separate area.. There is no private reg on hazmat material. Just your word that it is not In your shipment.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Moderator Emeritus

I got an email yesterday from Midway.
    "One day only, NO hazMat on select powders"...starting at midnight.
    So I checked it out this morning, there must have been a lot of sales between midnight and 6am, because most all the 'select' powders were tagged "out-of-stock, no backorders"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Haz-Mat is not a conspiracy with the anti-gun folks/government to deprive us of powder and primers. Lots of items are considered "Haz-Mat" and those shipping are charged extra by the shipper to cover training of personnel to handle Haz-Mat and "extra" handling charges. Just like everything else, prices go up. I had a bit of Haz-Mat training when I was employed by the City of L.A. (and you should see what is needed to move used oil filters!). Not everything that changes dealing with firearms and firearm related supplies is because "they are out to get us". My "hunting shirts" (red flannel plaid long sleeve shirts) have gone up in price recently, is that because the anti-gun/anti-hunters are trying to stifle my hunting?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    You are 100% correct. with today environmental Laws . many normal thing Years ago are todays Hazmat. I was in the Printing industry all my life . . I was trained in Hazmat. Ink is a hazmat Item, Alcohol, Chemical cloths. and such. all hazmat. To ship and Return is a nightmare for industry . Disposal another problem. Paperwork on top of paperwork . All that cost Money. shipping powder and primers @ retail is simple. Shooters are Lucky it does not cost more
    Sal
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Haz-Mat is not a conspiracy with the anti-gun folks/government to deprive us of powder and primers. Lots of items are considered "Haz-Mat" and those shipping are charged extra by the shipper to cover training of personnel to handle Haz-Mat and "extra" handling charges. Just like everything else, prices go up. I had a bit of Haz-Mat training when I was employed by the City of L.A. (and you should see what is needed to move used oil filters!). Not everything that changes dealing with firearms and firearm related supplies is because "they are out to get us". My "hunting shirts" (red flannel plaid long sleeve shirts) have gone up in price recently, is that because the anti-gun/anti-hunters are trying to stifle my hunting?
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    One thing about Cabela's.. for the time being you can order multiple items in an order and no matter how many boxes it takes, it is still only 1 - $20 hazmat.. most other companies like Powder Valley, Midsouth, Graf's and the like charge a hazmat per box. So sometimes it is good to work the sales as they offer free shipping.. & if you order enough, that $20 haz fee gets diluted quite a bit.. go in with friends on a group buy.. there are ways to offset it.

Boolit Master
    If it was a conspiracy it sure isn't working to keep me from stocking up. All it means is that I order more to help spread the cost over more items. Rather than buying the 4lbs jug I need I end up buying a 4 lbs jug and a couple random singles along with a couple thousand primers.

Boolit Master
    There is no conspiracy, it is a matter of DOT regs. years ago there was no regulation. This was not a problem because you purchase Powder Locally. When i lived In New York years ago, I needed an Explosive permit To purchase. . With a permit. I was able to buy , Smokeless, Black, dynamite and all construction Explosives. . Sounds ridiculous , but True
    NRA Endowment Member