Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone grown or Tried the Carolina Reaper Pepper?

Has anyone grown or Tried the Carolina Reaper Pepper?

Looks wild
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    No but I tried the Trinidad Scorpion and I thought that my days where over.That Carolina Reaper could be dangerous to some with health issues.My Jalapenos this year on the seed packet where supposed to be mild but turned out scalding.I have found that one Red or Green Cayenne mixed with enough seasoned boiled Rice and Bacon to stuff a couple of Sweet Peppers and Roasted gives me enough background Heat for my taste.I love Hot food but why burn my Tonsils.The Jalapenos stuffed with Cheddar Cheese, wrapped in Bacon and roasted are great.

Boolit Master

I have 3 ghost pepper plants in the garden that produce enough peppers for an army.

This morning I will be making my favorite hot sauce with them.

15-18 lb. Sweet red bell peppers quartered devained and seeds removed.
    8-10 ghost peppers.
    1 1/2-2 quarts of white vinegar.
    2 tablespoons salt.
    5-6 cloves of garlic.

Combine all ingredients in large pot and boil until peppers are tender. Let cool. Puree in blender. Strain through sive to remove pulp. Place in hot sauce bottles and process in hot bath canner for 20 minutes.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

The only thing I have success growing is yucca and sago palms. No matter what I do to them, they do not die. I would like to have a productive truly hot pepper plant since I really like hot food (my wife says my taste buds are dead and she's probably right). I buy the habanero sauce from the stores, but it's not hot enough for me. The fresh habanero peppers from the market are pretty good, but they add a bit of a sweet flavor and it doesn't give the same flavor in some dishes. Some dishes are relying on the bitterness of certain red peppers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    The only thing I have success growing is yucca and sago palms. No matter what I do to them, they do not die. I would like to have a productive truly hot pepper plant since I really like hot food (my wife says my taste buds are dead and she's probably right). I buy the habanero sauce from the stores, but it's not hot enough for me. The fresh habanero peppers from the market are pretty good, but they add a bit of a sweet flavor and it doesn't give the same flavor in some dishes. Some dishes are relying on the bitterness of certain red peppers.
    You might be able to grow Hot Peppers in big Pots of compost in the shade and start feeding them with liquid Tomato feed once they are showing small fruits.You might grow them all year round in Texas,idealy give them some Sun but shelter them if it gets too hot and water water water.

Boolit Master

Look for the Mexican Chile bushes. They will grow anywhere. Down side are that the peppers are tiny (about 1" in length) but the bushes literally crawl with them. They get most of their heat from the fact that they are really too small to de-seed so you either chop them up fresh with the seeds or dry them out and grind them down for powder.
    http://jacksandbellas.com/red-chili-peppers/

the thing about peppers is that they cross pollinate very easily...I've got a row of jalopeno plants alongside two habanero plants. The jalopenos are pretty hot this year and the habenoros are milder than I expected...

I've grown Caribbean Queen peppers this year on the other side of the back yard and they hot!!!

regarding the original post, everyone is saying they are the 2nd hottest in the world, but I am certain that short of genetic manipulation, those Ghost Peppers from India (bhut jalokia) will never be surpassed. Wow is just what I can say, wow.

I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Years ago I grew Habenero peppers, that's really as hot as I'm interested in eating raw. I do keep ghost pepper sauce in the fridge for when the wife wants something spicier.

Boolit Master

I'm not a fan of raw peppers (or pretty much any veggie), but I will stir fry / saute them before putting in a dish. When I'm doing some stir fry and using various hot peppers, my wife starts coughing and opening windows and doors, yelling about toxic waste, and claiming that I'm trying to poison her just from the smell. I might get a cough or two sometimes, but it just doesn't affect me that much.

I'm not a fan of raw peppers (or pretty much any veggie), but I will stir fry / saute them before putting in a dish. When I'm doing some stir fry and using various hot peppers, my wife starts coughing and opening windows and doors, yelling about toxic waste, and claiming that I'm trying to poison her just from the smell. I might get a cough or two sometimes, but it just doesn't affect me that much.
    Your wife and mine must be related some how. That is exactly how my wife acts when I start cooking with hot peppers.

Boolit Buddy

There is a video of a guy eating 3 of them carolina reapers and drinking a fifth of fireball. Foul language but funny. Some people are just plain stupid. Google "Hello World Catfish Cooley Red neck . Eats 3 Carolina Reapers and downs 5th of fire ball ." Or search this on Facebook.
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Banned

"the thing about peppers is that they cross pollinate very easily...I've got a row of jalopeno plants alongside two habanero plants. The jalopenos are pretty hot this year and the habenoros are milder than I expected..."

I was confused about this until doing research on it this year. Cross-pollination affects the next years fruit by modifying the seed. It does not affect the current crop. One exception to this is corn. If you have peppers that do not turn out as expected, it may be due to a lack of quality control at the producer of the plant or seed.

Boolit Grand Master

I enjoyed watching the video....but I'm going to pass on the peppers. I just don't have any use for something that hot.
    If those girl's think it was hot going in.....the next BM is going to be an real eye opener !

Moderator Emeritus

Quick! They look like they need some mouth to mouth recussitation! Do we have a volunteer here? Caution - them peppers are CONTAGIOUS!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If those girl's think it was hot going in.....the next BM is going to be an real eye opener !
    They'll be yelling, "Come on, ice cream!"

Boolit Master

They were grown from last year's seeds. I'm expecting next year's crops to be about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenfab View Post
    "the thing about peppers is that they cross pollinate very easily...I've got a row of jalopeno plants alongside two habanero plants. The jalopenos are pretty hot this year and the habenoros are milder than I expected..."

I was confused about this until doing research on it this year. Cross-pollination affects the next years fruit by modifying the seed. It does not affect the current crop. One exception to this is corn. If you have peppers that do not turn out as expected, it may be due to a lack of quality control at the producer of the plant or seed.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Man
    I grew over 40 variety's of peppers this year. including 4 Carolina reapers. Although I thought I had purchased seed from a reputable source three became what I call the not a reaper plants. I am pretty sure they reverted back to one of the parent plants Mr. Ed Currie crossed to create the Reaper. I believe them to be Red Naga plants now. The strain and many others are still kinda unstable. It is also very easy to cross pollinate and end up with mutt plants. I also have 2 Kraken Scorpion plants that are not Krakens. The seed from these came from another supplier than my reapers. I believe from tasting a small 1/4 inch piece of a reaper pod that only an idiot would try any more. You can hardly explain the heat they generate. Also something to remember is that anything you eat is just starting its journey thru your body. Reapers burn all the way thru as do Infinity 7 pods and Caramel Moruga Scorpions. And any of the Ghost variety's although ghosts are wimpy compared to the others mentioned. I have a face book page Burnin bush peppers if you would like some pepper photos.
    Last edited by 4rdwhln; 09-24-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I like hot but it has to be with flavor. If it is so hot it numbs the taste buds PASS!

Boolit Man
    The secret to super hots is to powder them and use moderation. We have several cookie recipes that utilize Habanero level heat. Our best seller has a small piece of Carolina Reaper to about a half cup of Habanero. We call em afterburners and they live up to the name. although most say they are not to hot for them they will not buy our peanut butter and Bhut Jolokia if We call em Pb and ghost cookies...seems more folks have been bitten by the ghost

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, that video was insane. Poor kids. My sister grew some pretty mild jalapenos this year and I'm really enjoying them. I enjoy spicy but gotta pass on stuff that burns.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

My homemade chili powder has habenero in it, but I would guess at only 4% of the total...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast