RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petroleum based lube for hunting Boolits?

Petroleum based lube for hunting Boolits?

I tried a short search but really found no info on this. Is it wise to use a boolit lube with, for example, ATF for deer hunting? Wouldn't it be better to use something with food grade ingredients to keep from tainting the meat? I ask this because of an article i read from Ohio DNR about rustproofing broadheads with WD40. I dont thing petroleum jelly would cause much problem, but what about formulas with ATF or 2 cycle oil? Obviously this makes no difference for someone target shooting, but has anyone noticed any problems for meat hunters?

And i suppose it makes a difference on shot placement. If the deer drops in his tracks, probably not much problem. But if your shot is off a little, wouldn't the blood circulation have more chance to pump contaminants around the body?

Moderator Emeritus

seems like, if you use a soft lube, that is designed to be "flung" off the boolit, as it exits the muzzle, meat contamination wouldn't be much of a consideration (although I am skeptical that it would be).

I am currently sending PMs back and forth with another member, about a similar subject.
    I needed to search out the recipe for satan's Lube. It might be something for you to look at, as well?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2653932
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

OK. Thanks. I did make up a batch of the 6661 lube. Was only slightly concerned about the petroleum jelly. Shouldn't be an issue though. If i find it doesn't work for me, i will try a different recipe. Just wondering if other petroleum based lubes will be a concern.

Banned

they will be gone at the muzzle.
    any small slight residual amounts left will be of no concern.
    have you seen the water a deer will drink?

Thanks. You could be correct. Could be gone at muzzle. Not sure. WD40 on a broadhead is a different animal i guess. As for deer water consumption, It is not going directly into the bloodstream.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 09-15-2016 at 08:30 PM.

I've never seen any kind of scientific report done on it, but i sure have eaten a lot of deer meat shot with grease and oil based lubes the last few years.

I don't have a habit of eating any of the internal organs though, wouldn't most contaminates be located in the liver or kidneys, or even the heart?

My main lubes are Ben's Red and BLL, both of which sling off the boolit very quickly, i don't think enough remains to even consider, even on close up shots on game.

I'm no research scientist for sure, but my instincts say it's not a problem....interesting question though. I would think most lubes get pretty well cooked in the bbl., which is probably a bit different than introducing pure wet oil into a system from a broadhead that's been soaked in it.

I soak all my wild meat in salt water before cooking or freezing, which pulls most of the remaining blood and all of the wild taste out.

That was pretty much my thoughts. The DNR article got me thinking about it.

I calculated my bullet rpm. At 1800fps in a 1 in 20 twist should be about 64800 rpm.
    That should be enough to sling off super glue! LOL

Thanks for the reply. Anyone with more thoughts on the matter will be considered.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 09-16-2016 at 04:50 AM.

Banned

well if your really concerned about it.
    you can make a small batch of lube with all 'natural' ingredients or at least ones we eat on a fairly regular basis.

get you a disc of bees wax at the hardware store they sell ultra purified 2 oz discs for rubbing on nails and screws.
    mix about 40% salt free Crisco with that, and add @ 5% lanolin.
    to soften it up and make it a little more suitable for hand lubing or for colder weather add just a couple of drops of olive oil.

this is my black powder lube recipe. [I think it's also known by another name but I didn't know that when I first developed it]
    and you can eat everything in it or use it as chap stick with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you can make a small batch of lube with all 'natural' ingredients or at least ones we eat on a fairly regular basis.

get you a disc of bees wax at the hardware store they sell ultra purified 2 oz discs for rubbing on nails and screws.
    to soften it up and make it a little more suitable for hand lubing or for colder weather add just a couple of drops of olive oil.

this is my black powder lube recipe. [I think it's also known by another name but I didn't know that when I first developed it]
    Thanks. That was one of the selling points for T/C Bore Butter. All Food grade ingredients. I made up some 6661 lube. If i don't like it, Ill try that.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder if game taken with powder coated boolits are safe to eat....food grade powder coatings ?

Is the lube more of a problem than the lead boolit . Maybe all those California Condors were lube poisoned not lead poisoned .

UPDATE:
    Found out from my brother , the butcher , that a food grade petroleum jelly is what they use to lube the slicing and cutting machines at the butcher shop.... get some of the food grade stuff and combined with beeswax should be a perfectly safe lubricant for use on boolits when taking game to be consumed !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 09-17-2016 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Food grade petrolem jelly

they will be gone at the muzzle.
    any small slight residual amounts left will be of no concern.
    have you seen the water a deer will drink?
    Yesterday I saw again how they get way way down to get under the wire to eat my grape vines.

If there's any concern couldn't the shooter just use an all natural lube.

Oh, just saw this.
    Yeah, my standard basic lube is lanolin-olive oil-bees wax.

Thanks for the replies. I will use the Henry pretty much strictly for deer hunting or load development. Still need to shoot the 6661 lube. Hope it works. If not, will formulate another food grade lube.

Boolit Master
    On the list of things I worry about this ranks just slightly below alien abduction.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Oh, just saw this.
    Yeah, my standard basic lube is lanolin-olive oil-bees wax.
    I'd, really, appreciate it if you shared your formula's proportions of these ingredients and some of your experience with this lube.

How great, that something this simple and safe could be a capable lube.

Boolit Master

For Bow hunting I always used to use petroleum jelly on my broad heads and wipe them dry after applied, never had a rust problem.
    I think your talking parts per million or Billion, look at what your broad head has to go through before it touches meat.

For my bullet lube,it's flung off before it hits a deer and it is considered very low Toxicity

TAC 1 ( considered very low Toxicity)

Warning label for TAC 1
    Do not eat it, keep away from children
    Do not stick it in your eyes
    Do not smoke it
    Used for bullet lube/mechanical lubricant only
    TAC 1 is NOT considered hazardous according to regulatory guidelines
    NFPA Hazard ID: Health: 1 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 1
    HMIS Hazard ID: Health:1 Flammability: 1 Reactivity: 1
    Low order of toxicity. Excessive exposure may result in eye, skin,
    or respiratory irritation
    ingredients, Beeswax, Lubricant (considered very low toxicity), Carnauba wax,PYLAKROME BRILL GREEN LX-1993A (non toxic)

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty sure every mechanic ends up eating or drinking a couple of teaspoons a month of oil and grease whether it was splashed from above, pressure squirt or something. I know I did.

Don't forget, deer eat grass. Bugs walk on grass. Bugs poop. Ergo deer meat is full of bug poop.

Boolit Master
    I generally eat around the boolit hole. Any meat contaminated by lube has been torn up pretty well, right?
    I also don't worry about bloodborne lube ingredients since I don't think deer shot for consumption live long enough to contaminate the meat, especially with such a small amount of lube relative to body weight/size.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    On the list of things I worry about this ranks just slightly below alien abduction.
    On my list , alien abduction comes way ahead of death from boolit lubricant .

Banned

since I worked in the oil field for almost 12 years if I was gonna die from petroleum ingestion I woulda done it already.
    it's pretty bad when you know where the oil come from just by getting a taste of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast