Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Time to step up

Boolit Buddy
    Rust is a major no no in getting an inspection sticker in Maine. There can be no rust holes or areas missing on ANY vehicles in Maine. Rust, no sticker. No sticker no license and big ticket......

So, rust is something that HAS to be considered......

On the other hand, we have a great Expedition with 183,000 miles that only needs a muffler and a couple other things to make it ok in ANY other state than Maine......lol....
    Wife to Gray Wolf. It was time to get my own handle I guess cause

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Owl View Post
    Rust is a major no no in getting an inspection sticker in Maine. There can be no rust holes or areas missing on ANY vehicles in Maine. Rust, no sticker. No sticker no license and big ticket......

So, rust is something that HAS to be considered......

On the other hand, we have a great Expedition with 183,000 miles that only needs a muffler and a couple other things to make it ok in ANY other state than Maine......lol....
    I'm curious about your current vehicle. The state can mandate no holes, but it can't mandate pretty. Getting some sheet metal riveted in might be a good stop-gap if the truck doesn't need much else.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Wise Owl;3872021

Plastic radiators
    The whole thing makes my head hurt. But I have been putting in several hours a day looking.[/QUOTE]

Don't count out a car just because of the "plastic radiator", with 20 years in the auto body biz I too thought they were cheap and a poor replacement for copper/brass but soon realized that the aluminum would bend and twist and still stay sealed to the plastic tanks where the copper ones would leak.
    As far as engines and tranny's, I'm with ya one that! I've got a used $5000. lemon sitting in my drive unused but insured. I used to love cars, now I hate em!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I'm curious about your current vehicle. The state can mandate no holes, but it can't mandate pretty. Getting some sheet metal riveted in might be a good stop-gap if the truck doesn't need much else.
    Yeah, I've 'touched' up lots of cars and trucks over the years that way. Pa used to have a similar law and I've seen people use silver metal tape to cover the holes and then spray bomb them a close color. This time of year isn't good for working outside but that might buy you another year.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Jim, it's not just the body altho that's a big part of it. It's too many other things under the car as in shocks, struts, just about everything that involves the truck not falling into a big piece of junk in the driveway that's a problem. The state of Maine checks ALL these things out yearly for their inspection sticker. It's for safety and the list is about 75 items. Everything from wipers to turn signals, brake lights, rusted out places like the rockers, fenders, parts underneath, wheel bearings, ad nausea. Unless you live in Maine you have no idea.
    Sometimes I think the state is tied up with the car dealers so they can make more money on both ends. Newer cars cost more to buy, higher taxes for the state due to value new on the vehicle (which still applies even 18 years later).......

Right now, we need rocker panels fixed, holes in a couple fenders. Shocks, tires, a new gas filler line, you know where you put the nozzle in to fill your gas tank? (ours went and mechanic put a rubber hose in and clamped it cause the old one rusted out)
    I "think" we have another spark plug boot going. We need the whole tail pipe and muffler replaced.......and a couple more things I can't remember right now.

Sorry, but, it would take too much to fix this car. Way too much. Probably close to $2500 just for the rusted out body parts. Maybe more as one rocker panel is gone. Tires run around $750 for 4. (have to be snow/mud tires for up here)
    Shocks $250. Exhaust system $400. (btdt already) I have no idea on fixing that gas line/filler line. Spark plug boot IS $80 without labor. (btdt 3 times already) And add in a few other things that need fixing immediately according to our mechanic.
    And none of those things are including labor.......which is $70 an hour now. (no, we have no mechanical types as friends or places cheaper available.)

Any other questions?

The list of vehicles that "should" be mechanically ok right now are as follows. Anything that year or newer....

2007 Mercury Mountaineer
    2007 Durango (but have not heard positive reports on any of the Durango cars so not looking heavily at those)
    2006 Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon
    2007 Expedition
    2007 Explorer
    2008 Chevy Trailblazer

All have to have a third seat. Good tires for winter. NO rust because that just gets worse due to salt happening for 7 months out of the year on ALL roads.

So, there you have the problems living in the mtns of Maine. Our current car got us almost 6 years. We both really, really liked it. Makes me want to cry to think of it being gone. It fit us perfectly for our needs. So know you know.
    Last edited by Wise Owl; 12-11-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the explanation, seems that you've done a great job thinking it through, now the right truck just needs to pop up where you can grab it.

Moderator Emeritus

An accident hit should not be an immediate no. If they detailed what was repaired(if you can find where and ask them too!) it is fine. My 2005 Aveo was an accident hit. Guy hit the drivers side rear door with a pickup bumper and caved in the door and the pillar near it. Both were repaired by the dealer the car was bought from so they had great records of the repairs and all factory parts were used. I bought it in 2007 and drove it until 2013 when it was totaled in a real accident that earned me a late in the neck! It was still going rust free and was amazingly roomy for a little car(I am 5'11" and had tons of headroom). It plowed through deep snow pretty well too but I ran very aggressive front tires!

Dealers can ship cars cross country pretty dang cheap so maybe have them start a search... they tack them onto loads that aren't full.

Boolit Buddy