Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to step up

Time to step up

Looks like two of our own need some assistance. Proud people, one of them a veteran, for whom asking is hard. Anyone in Maine close enough to help split some firewood? Maybe time for a drive to boy a power splitter.

Then there is a vehicle issue. Anyone got a decent truck that they maybe don't use as much anymore since they got a new rig? Maybe needs a few repairs or parts that they would let go for a reasonable price? We have certified mechanics on thus board. With a little teamwork and ceativity would could deliver a workable vehicle to folks that need it. I bet we could do a relay from anywhere on the lower 48. And wouldn't it be neat if that vehicle showed up with some lead, canned goods, or other useful stuff?

What say you?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

i'll do what I can.
    if a vehicle needs moved or something I can cover from Utah to Nebraska if needed or Oregon to Wyoming.
    if your gonna honcho this.
    then a list of specifics, volunteer[s] in the area, and a main contact will be needed.

brass magnet might be helpful, he is pretty good at organizing this kind of stuff.

I know we can do this, this board has pulled off some amazing things in the past.

Boolit Master
    If you are heading east on I-80 I am just a few miles north, stop by for a meal, some gas money, and a place to take a nap..... as well as whatever we can spare from the pantry.

Boolit Master

We need more details.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

In some posts the folks in question have mentioned that they heat with wood and need help getting it split. Seems like with this being September that would be a priority. the same folks have mentioned that their truck will no longer pass a Maine inspection due to rust and mechanical problems that make it beyond their means to repair and would probably exceed the value of the truck in question.

My thought was triggered by what happened when Mrs. Thumbcocker and I traded in our old Subaru for a newer Subaru. The old care had over 200k on it but was solid and well maintained. Not pretty but I would have left for California in it with no fear. We were given a whalloping $850 trade in for the old car. I remember remarking that it was a shame we didn't know anyone who could have used ol Sid Subaru.

In a similar situation some years back a fund drive wsas organized and the folks were given advice on finding a vehicle locally and what to check for. Mechanics made suggestions about stuff to check. My thinking is that if a member had a spare vehicle we would know the vehicle history and benefit our own. I don't know if it would work out getting a vehicle from a less rusty southern state and getting it to them but that was my initial thought.

I am reluctant to mention the folks in question because I don't want to embarrass them. I will send Ray a p.m.

If this is something we can get behind as a community I am certainly in for a financial contribution and any logistical support that I could lend as well as miscellaneous donations of stuff. I have insurance that covers me in any vehicle I operate so I could certainly participate in a relay. I have a day job so my availability during business hours is limited but I will be glad to chip in.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I have some lead that could find its way into the back of that truck when it passes through Maine. Depending on the scheduling I may also be able to help Ray with the relay of the vehicle.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Agreed . I'm in Texas with no vehicle to let but could kick in with a few bucks . How bout auctions in buy and sell ? We all got ..'stuff' we could part with for a good cause .
    No turning back , No turning back !

My thoughts were find a vehicle first. I see several around here but I don't know their history. Wish this had come up earlier the Subaru would have been easy.

I am within easy driving of of I57, I64, I70 and not real far from I80. I do have some flexibility with work and could take a day or two off pretty easily with some advance notice. Also I have plenty of room to park something or stash cargo if this thing works out.

Don't know how it's done but, how about a "go fund me" page?

But it would have to be a "Go Fund Them" page... I'm in for at least a donation and possibly logistics on the Maine end of things.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Well down here in that dammm hot sun shine state ...if a truck comes from down here got some stuff to put in it or donation would work too .This site is a very cool place to be ..
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Never did a go fund page. I was just putting the idea out there on a "spare" vehicle. Of course cash takes up a lot less space and is easier to transport. I have family in the used car business (go figure car dealers and lawyers in the same family) and could ask them to keep an eye out. Of course with 40K members here it seems logical that someone has a line on a dependable rig for a reasonable price. Then again for a whalloping $.50 each we could probably solve the problem.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Never did a go fund page. I was just putting the idea out there on a "spare" vehicle. Of course cash takes up a lot less space and is easier to transport. I have family in the used car business (go figure car dealers and lawyers in the same family) and could ask them to keep an eye out. Of course with 40K members here it seems logical that someone has a line on a dependable rig for a reasonable price. Then again for a whalloping $.50 each we could probably solve the problem.
    Yours is a great idea , transportation being critical to exist . Members here have made a difference for folks in helping and stewardship . I have seen it happen , not many places left with the kind of good hearted people that are here .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Well...I'm in Texas but willing to help where I can.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Buddy
    Let us know what you are looking for to help out either in dollars or goods? Don't need to know who it is but would like to make sure it goes to the right cause. Money is easier to send then goods but if you are willing to put together a drive people can always send a flat rate box of goods to address and someone else can deliver it to the end user. Keep us posted!

Boolit Mold
    A few more details please, I don't have the time to read every post on the site. I live on the border with Maine, I go into Maine often. How about a town name to at least give me a n idea if I can help.

Boolit Master

I don't have a vehicle, but I will chip in. Let me know where...

Maybe one of the flatbed drivers could possibly load on a return instead of being empty. Just another option to think of.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

For those who have been here a while you know we bought Sam and Julie the truck that now needs to be replaced. They never asked, just let us know the need and we responded. Time to step up again. Who is willing to handle donated funds?

BTW - Sam is one of the go to guys for questions on the 1911 platform, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Give me an address or info to get funds to them and I will be most happy to help.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting