Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Customer Service SUCKS!!!!

Banned
    Received my part like I should have in the first place. Its amazing that you can purchase something new and get the run around from their customer service even after satisfying the conditions of their warranty. Another thing is some of the moronic replies from fellow members.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a similar bad experience with Lyman about sending in some sentimental molds I inherited to see about getting them repaired. Unfortunately I emailed them through their support window on the Website several times with no response in 7 months. On the phone I was told they wouldn't be able to stop the production line and retool for a mold they "most likely" didn't make anymore. Which is funny because I had told her several times the mold numbers and surprisingly they do still make them. The response I recovers from that was they don't refurbish molds. I wouldn't say I was upset necessarily at the price quoted to "look at" either mold. At 129$ per hour. But I figured it was a bit on the high side. Needless to say after my experience with them I'll likely not buy their product. There's too many other options and as was stated by the other posters I've never had problems with brands like Lee or rcbs. And in all honesty my favorite molds are all rcbs and my favorite pot and reloading dies are Lee and my favorite press is my Dillon. I've had excellent customer service experiences with them so I won't hesitate to purchase their products unless they give me a reason too.

I broke the decapping pin on my Lyman die and sent email to them with name address and ph. number, next day they called me to see which parts I did need. They shipped out a couple days later and the bill sent with the parts stated no charge. They also sent the whole rod plus 5 pins extra. Guess I am the exception to the rule.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman Customer Service SUCKS!!!!

YES IT DOES!!

I have called on a few different occasions. The phone rings forever, gives yo a choice, and they say no one is currently there.

Sed a question in to them on there email?? Forget it. They give you a work order to fill and you check back on the status.
    It says closed if the question isn't answered. I gave up after about a month.

It wasn't always that way.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post

Not too many companies will refurbish a 40-year-old, essentially-abused part - no questions asked - and not even charge for return shipping. I only wish I could get that done to my Herter's dies.
    RCBS will. Did an ancient 30-30 die for me. from 1968 IIRC.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Yes they suck. My Lyman digital scale did not read out properly, with only half of the segments lighting up. I sent it to them and they sent it back telling me it works just fine. I would also weigh the same bullet 10 times and get 8 different readings. It went into the trash and I bought the cheap Frankford Arsenal and it works perfect.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Received my part like I should have in the first place. Its amazing that you can purchase something new and get the run around from their customer service even after satisfying the conditions of their warranty. Another thing is some of the moronic replies from fellow members.
    First I was deplorable now I'm moronic...lets all be nice !
    Gary

Banned
    QwpercleI never called you deplorable or moronic. I looked thru the last 4 pages here. You have to admit there are some rather stupid replies on this thread and if that bothers you then don't waste your time answering. It is amazing that you had to wait almost a week to make your last post on this thread. As I have pointed out Lymans customer service sucks. They dropped the ball period and if you and some others don't like what I posted you have the option not to answer. As for some of the answers ...some are moronic in nature and thats my opinion. I didn't single ANYONE out.

Boolit Buddy
    If I had a mill I would machine a new one that would last for my life time and probably others as well. I will continue to wait for the Lyman part to arrive and if not will retro fit the RCBS primer arm.
    You could do that with a hacksaw, files, and a drill in an hour; you don't need a Bridgeport. I know, because I used to make stuff like that by hand and now I got the Bridgeport.

Lyman, Redding, Forester, all of those old East Coast guys are pretty old school when it comes to the "customer knows best" unlike the Midwest and left coast guys, that will accept almost any kind of owner abuse and pass the cost onto the rest of their customers....

Banned
    Dude, I also can and have made stuff by hand. I'd rather make it on a bridgeport and challenge myself to obtain a tolerance as small as possible. Its kinda like buying a Cadillac and knowing you can get around in a Ford.

Boolit Buddy
    Dude, I also can and have made stuff by hand. I'd rather make it on a bridgeport and challenge myself to obtain a tolerance as small as possible. Its kinda like buying a Cadillac and knowing you can get around in a Ford.
    Just duplicate what Lyman did, don't need anything better. Other than better material....

You just need to understand what's important and not. But from this thread, I'm guessing that's not your strong point....and Bridgeport is always capitalized. Dude.

Banned
    I guess I can't expect much from a poster with 19 posts under their belt. Dude, I have more hours at a bridgeport or any other Mill than 90-95% of the people here. I did Proto Lab work for a while when I worked in the factory as well as being a quality control inspector and supervisor. As for not understanding ......it doesn't seem to be your strong point either or you wouldn't have run your mouth. If your posts are any example of what is to come I'll put you on my ignore list early.

Boolit Master

I too have benefited from RCBS and Hornady CS before. I have called Lyman over the phone and had a woman answer and she was not very polite and kind of rude. I am a grownup and can handle rude people, however I would think you wouldn't want the first person answering the company phone to represent the company in such a manner. Lee was similar with very short and curt responses and the feeling I was bothering them.

RCBS.....Now they have gone above and beyond in their CS. My brother found a RC2 press I think it was, in someones yard. Rusted solid. Ram was toast, as was the die insert and every other blued steel part on the press. I called RCBS and described in detail what I had and what I wanted to do and he jotted it all down and sent all the parts out free of charge, no questions asked. They have also fixed my issues (that I created as a new reloader) multiple times over the phone, with parts shipped the next day. They make excellent reloading gear and I will continue to use them. They are also very nice to deal with on the phone.

I was given an old Pacific scale and powder dispenser some years ago. The scale was missing the pan, so I called Hornady. The guy I talked to on the phone was very polite and understanding. He assured me I had a good scale, but no powder pan. He said give me your address and I will mail one to you. I think I have one around here I can dig up. Sure enough I got it in the mail a few days later. Good deal. I like companies that will stand by their stuff no matter what.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    If you actually did what you claim, QC and that, you'd know which dimensions are important. But you don't appear to know that, so I guess you're stroking us. Let the rest of the forum decide for themselves. I'm OK with that. Look at that priming arm and see what you need to do make another one of better material. It's not hard.

The number of posts don't mean squat, you think somebody that's 60, with 40 years experience and few posts, is going to be dumber than a 25 year old with 4,000 posts? Probably not. All a bunch of posts indicates is lots of time to post. Takes lots of time to monitor the forums and post, I don't have that much energy for that....

Go ahead and put me on an ignore list, I can handle that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by No Blue View Post
    If you actually did what you claim, QC and that, you'd know which dimensions are important. But you don't appear to know that, so I guess you're stroking us. Let the rest of the forum decide for themselves. I'm OK with that. Look at that priming arm and see what you need to do make another one of better material. It's not hard. The number of posts don't mean squat, you think somebody that's 60, with 40 years experience and few posts, is going to be dumber than a 25 year old with 4,000 posts? Probably not. All a bunch of posts indicates is lots of time to post. Takes lots of time to monitor the forums and post, I don't have that much energy for that....Go ahead and put me on an ignore list, I can handle that.
    Son, your certainly not worth my time to comment further on the BS you posted here.

You just did.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    You just did.
    Thank you for pointing that out....and look, you only have 1,618 posts; obviously you can't have anything worth while to add with that low of a post count...
    Last edited by No Blue; 10-15-2016 at 12:17 AM.

Banned
    Blue you come in here trying to tell me how to make a part and telling me to capitalize the word Bridgeport. Son, I spent thousands of hours running them as well as other mills and lathes during the course of the time I spent working in a factory. I ran equipment that was made in the 40's and 50's and should have been sent to the scrap yard years before I ran them. Everything I ran was badly worn and the operator had to learn how much slop there was in each machine and they were all different. There were no CNC mills or lathes where I worked and to be truthful I was never trained to use CNC and being "old school" don't like them. Yes, I realize I can make this simple part by hand but due to my age I fantasize making the part on a and pay attention to this I will capitalize the name Bridgeport. I always enjoyed each and every time I've started up a Bridgeport or for that matter a LeBlond lathe and began a setup for an operation. Telling someone that you doubt that they are capable of running a machine like this or questioning if a person did in fact have the experience they claim in kinda questionable. As far as what anyone here on the forum thinks of me I really don't give a rat's *** and you if given time will realize the few that come out of the woodwork to start trouble or to add their little snippy comments. Now, I probably shouldn't even have made this thread and wouldn't if I hadn't been so ticked off with the damn thing breaking while I was trying to seat 90+ primers in some 38 cal cases. I didn't get along good with the lady at Lyman. I didn't like her attitude and this was the primary reason to start this thread so I could point out Lyman's attitude so others here might question their choice to purchase a Lyman product or for that matter make sure they could prove that who ever they purchased their Lyman product from was indeed a bona fide
    Lyman dealer. I will apologize for making the low post comment and I won't expect you to believe I am capable and actually have the experience as stated. I for one will know the 25+ years that I ran mills, lathes, and every other machine found in a production environment as well as graduating to quality control as a plant inspector and later a QC supervisor until the plant closed and then taking up yet another line of work.

Boolit Buddy
    The tone of the reply is toxic. Threatening to discredit them if you don't get what you want is not the best strategy. You may need assistance from them in the future apart from the fact that people don't really want to do something extra for someone when the best they can hope for is not being maligned. Plus, if you're gonna take the time to write them about a complaint, know what you're goals are--'what do you want?'. I read your transcript a few times and I still don't know what you're asking them to do. Apart from what You are going to do--not buy from them in the future, buy from competitors, and talk about your negative experience on this forum. Which is pretty flattering to CastBoolits. Your banking on the power of this forum to sway Lyman's customer service in your favor.

You cant really blame them for asking for a receipt and questioning where you got it. Proclaiming you bought it from grandnational81, off eBay , and that he just sold 5 in the last week, weakens your claim. Who knows where this guy gets his inventory. Savvy people buy knockoffs , close outs, returns, for negotiated amounts and resell them to profit. You gotta wonder how he's able to consistently sell under low price of all other retailers.

I elected to write as this isn't just a matter of interacting with Lyman. It's about how to interact with people, especially when they're part of a community that's supporting your hobby.

Boolit Master
    You bought it on E-bay. It was Used! GOK how many people had owned it before you. Do you expect a new car warrenty for a used car. Only the first buyer get a new warrenty after the first sale it is used opened or not. RCBS warrenty is great but I would buy their products without it because they work and last. Lyman products that I own do the same. Some Lyman products that I have bought usd=ed were missing parts and I had to buy replacements from Lyman. No big deal. Have had less than great customer service from Dillion but it is not a reason to attack them. You broke a small part. Buy a new one and move on.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast