RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Customer Service SUCKS!!!!

I guess it takes some ******** to get the warranty taken care of from Lyman.
    Why I posted what I did in #5.

You can't say "Lyman..." when your problem was with Jackie.

Glad you reached out to someone else vs suffering in silence.

Banned
    I posted my response to Jackie and just maybe some higher up there at Lyman might have gotten a hold of my email. Its down right amazing how she changed her tune. She originally told me they wouldn't warranty anything off ebay and then checked with her supervisor and came back and told me I needed to provide the sellers name so they could check and see if the seller was a dealer or not and if so they would honor the warrenty. My response to her must have caused some problems to have her come back and tell me that Lyman is proud of their products and they would stand by the warranty. Seems really strange the response I got. I actually like the Lyman press for small runs of up to 100 rounds where as it isn't necessary to change over the 650 to load that small amount. I do all my rifle brass on the Lyman T-mag. Getting back to Jackie again.....If I was her boss I would take her aside and explain how warranties work or fire her what ever makes the most sense. She needs a change in her attitude if they are going to have her deal with the public. If I even came close to her attitude when I deal with people on a daily basis I wouldn't have a job.

Banned
    Unfortunately Jackie at this point in time still represents Lyman Customer Service so when I say Lyman customer service sucks I'm afraid I am still correct. Until I have the replacement part in my hand I'm not a happy camper. Another point..... I had originally contacted Lyman customer service thru their internet portal and the response I got was to provide my name and address OR call in my name and address and the part would be sent out. Almost two weeks went by after I had provided the necessary information on the reply portion of the email answer I had gotten from them and I received NO response after I sent them my name and address. Another point....they don't re-read their emails from their internet portal so why provide this?

I bought an used Lyman 450 Lube Sizer, and was looking for a few parts to rebuild it. So I contacted Lyman, through their on-line Customer Service Form on 8/23/2016 and got a ticket number; which hasn't been answered. I have a few other Lyman products and have been looking at a casting furnace. I might have to reconsider any future purchases from Lyman.

Boolit Master
    I don't prime cases with my presses and haven't in years but I did for a very long time. I started reloading in the 1950s and in those days the priming arm was made of steel. I still have one or two. I think the trouble started when they started making them out of pewter or whatever.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sav300 View Post
    Have tied to purchase a Lyman 25# furnace,via phone and email Was given the run around ,then told to buy from Nioa (big distribitur? here in aus) so I called Nioa and was told none in stock and was told they have not had anything from Lyman for a t least a year.Still no Lyman furnace,but my LEE`S are still going strong.

Parts for my Lyman Mag 20 was the straw that broke the Camels back. Stick with the Lees. Mine mine drip a little sometimes but I can get every single replacement part cheap in just a couple days that it takes to ship them. Plus the folks are pleasant while writing up the order.

Its down right amazing how she changed her tune.
    I often think about the weeks, yes weeks, I spent dealing with the phone company about one of my land lines when I lived in the city. Talking to folks all across the Country getting bounced back and forth.

Fixed it one night, after a few drinks, and the first fellow that answered the phone asked how he could help me. I answered "Get your boss's boss on the phone." He responded, "Can you at least give me a try?"

He did in two minutes what no one else (well over 20 men and women) did in more than two weeks. Don't give up on "people", there are still good ones out there.

Also a good time to add, don't shut down on people just because you are not having a good day.

I had to be reminded of both at the same time.

Don't remember his name but I am guessing Justin, time.

Boolit Master

6bg6ga,

I understand your frustration and completely support your right to vent. Fortunately, for whatever reason, Lyman is now standing behind their product. I had to jump through a few hoops to sort out a recently issue with Lyman products, a new Mag 25 (which turned out to be OK) and a bad dial thermometer, and yes I dealt with Jackie, and others there. In the end my equipment got sorted out and I got another thermometer, which was accurate.

I have come to view Lyman as a small step above Lee- usually good, economical products, but more concerned about mass production and the stresses of being a relatively small company riding the wave of 8 years of panic buying. Because the products are cheaper I don't expect the slavish customer support found at Dillon and RCBS.

I think I have a bit of insight because I and several other family members have worked in machine shops (which Lyman Products is, they also have a non-reloading oriented production shop). If you look at their address Google Street View you'll see a permanent sign with changeable shingles under Help Wanted with the list for July 2015 being Assembly, Shipping, CNC Operator and Summer Help.

That's the way it is in Machine Shops- high turnover, and always looking for people who can handle the pressure. There's really no patience for handling customer's retail customer service expectations. Most Machine Shop to Customer interactions are Business to Business: short, factual and gruff- does the work meet the specs, is the drawing representative of the expectations, etc. Retail customers like us get force-fit into this mold. Either you present a problem clearly with data, with a clear and reasonable solution in mind and the flexibility to accept their solution, or you get treated like a Special Snowflake who is unlikely to be pleased, so why bother?

And I'll say it again- I've always gotten good service from Lee, and Lyman, and Hornady- but not always on the first try.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    ..............................And I'll say it again- I've always gotten good service from Lee, and Lyman, and Hornady- but not always on the first try.
    That's great, but if your first time contacting them and you get no reply, then you just wonder if this is a company that you want to deal with. I have other Lyman products; which I haven't had any problems with, so I didn't need to contact them. I appreciate your comments and might give them another try this next week.

I had another similar encounter with Winchester; which turned out the same, contacting them through their customer service mail system, no response. That was over 4 months ago, with no response.

I will not buy Lyman products anymore after my negative experience with customer support. I needed a replacement part for a mold that I have, so I emailed them. 1 month later and no response. Emailed again, 2 weeks then a response. I offered to buy the part but was told they would just send it. They asked for my mailing address, I sent it and 2 months later and 3 more attempts by email and I still don't have the part. I guess I'll take my business elsewhere.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it! I disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it to the death! When people fear the government it is tyranny, when government fears the people it is Liberty!

I've found rcbs and hornady to be equal with extremely good support. Lee can be a hassle. I'll steer clear from lyman now that I know. Thanks for sharing. Clear to me now that Lyman doesn't have anything I need that I can't get from rcbs or hornady except bad service. Unfortunately none of this will have any impact on them.

Boolit Master
    These posts are pointless. Just because you want it to be someway doesn't mean it will be that way. Manufacturers have express warranties with CONDITIONS. Grow up.

Boolit Master

After some frustration with other suppliers, I have vowed to buy only Dillon and RCBS. Both honor their warrantees (or in the case of Dillon, the NO BS guarantee). Now if I have a problem I just call and a free part comes in the mail.

Banned
    Tar Heel, Occasionally people like yourself feel a need to express their opinions with out fully understanding the thread. I hope you understand the meaning of a warranty and the warranty as stated by Lyman. They advertise a warranty and as such they should be expected to stand behind it.

Banned
    I'm still not holding my breath on the possibility of a replacement part arriving in my mail box. The answer I received is simply an attempt to back peddle to save face. If Lyman were smart they would adopt a policy like RCBS and Dillon with respect to who owns it and how long the product has been owned. Its simple economics in my opinion.... you serve the customers that purchase your products.....these customers remain happy and faithful and purchase more of the products you sell. In my case like I mentioned I was the first owner and the item was purchased by me in July and has been used for two months. I have been treated very good by RCBS and Dillon and as a result I will pay more for their products if needed simply to have that kind of quality customer support and service. I'm not bothered if I have to pay a little more shipping cost for a product to arrive. Regardless of what Lyman does or does not do for me I will turn to different companies in the future to purchase the same products I would have purchased from Lyman. My point in starting this thread is to point out the lack of communication and the lack of customer service with respect to lyman and to point out there are other companies out there willing to respond quickly and respectfully to their customers. If you do not agree then respectfully I would suggest that you skip answering this thread.

Boolit Master
    That is the old New England east coast backward retarded management mentality. You will notice that companies have been leaving that region in droves. The only way to get rid of that sorry culture in a company is to shut it down, move it and replace everyone.

Old management practice is the old way of doing business if you plan on going out of business.
    Those conditions are contract law. All those conditions are worthless if they result in your customer never coming back.
    The public demands better service than the BS written by lawyers and paid for by disconnected executives.
    It is a given that the lawyers know nothing about reloading and reloaders. These days it is probably true that Lyman's own executives know nothing about it either. We recycle stuff. We hate wasting anything. We also hate throwing away money on carppy products.
    Do you remember the guy that negotiated the deal between the govt and Smith and Wesson that nearly broke S&W? The last I heard he was running the Murray lawn mower company. He probably does not mow lawns either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    These posts are pointless. Just because you want it to be someway doesn't mean it will be that way. Manufacturers have express warranties with CONDITIONS. Grow up.
    Last edited by EDG; 09-18-2016 at 10:52 PM.
    EDG

Banned
    Forgot to mention Redding in my rants. I purchased their .223 die set and experienced a problem and broke the decapping retainer. I got on their website they answered my email and promply sent out a replacement part with no questions asked. I sent them a nice thank you for their attention to customer problems and was told their goal was to make their customers happy so they would return and purchase more products. I also receive one of their catalogs with the replacement part.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    When Iget boneheads like that on the phone, I politely tell them that they might consider finding a job that they _actually enjoy_. They never fail to cut the connection. Who cares? They were not doing me any good anyway. I just call back and FIND A PERSON WHO LOVES THEIR JOB.

I have occasionally written management when a person is so far off scale as to be an embarrassment to the company, but just as often, I figure they are soo off the charts that surely, SOME LOVELY SOUL WILL RAT THEM OUT, and save mesef the trouble of a stamp!

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Redding has been particularly awesome. So has LEE, for that matter. They do OK by email, but phone calls have always solved my problems. RCBS? Geez. They rock! I had a tumbler barrel go bad. I enquired as to what adhesive I should use to get it back together, and they sent me a new barrel. THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE. I ought to know. I answered the phone at Hewlett-Packard and a spinoff of the original instrument business, Agilent Technolgies for 25 years. I know good service when I see it.

Super Moderator

I won't purchase from Lyman any more either. I have had my share of bad customer service from them too. It's really too bad, because I think they have a lot of fine products that I could use.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast