Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: 3358 Winchester Cast Bullet question

3358 Winchester Cast Bullet question

Was wondering how bullets in the 150 gr to 160 gr work out in the 358 win for hunting ?

Moderator Emeritus

I am sure they would be deadly on rabbits. Mine has a 1 in 14 twist and the 200 gr rcbs does it for me for larger than coyotes. I have never even played with anything that light on paper, using a 358430 195 gr pb for light loads. With cast the goal is not light for caliber and fast rather full penetration which is achieved by bullet weight/mass.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I use the Lee tl 160 grain pistol bullet for plinking in my 358 win, as cast. Have to look up the load and fps. Flyer

Sorry, use the ribs 35-200 and Noe 36-230 for whitetails. Flyer

Boolit Master

My only experience is with the RCBS 35-200 boolit. I've never felt a need for any other boolit in the 358 or the 35 Whelen for higher performance loads.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Was only wondering because the heaviest 35 cal bullet mold I have at the moment is the Old Lee 166 gr . falls 172 using WW.
    Thought of PC ing them and hold them at about 1600-1800 fps. Has anyone tried the Lee 200 gr. That is about the only mold I can afford.

Banned

The thing about the bigger .35s is that they very nicely mimic the smaller .35s, that are damn fine rounds too.

That load will do anything a .357 will do, including modest sized deer at modest ranges.

I've not got a .358, yet, but shoot .350 and Whelen with loads equivalent to .38 Special, .357, .35 R, and full power.

It's a capability that's a big bonus with the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Was only wondering because the heaviest 35 cal bullet mold I have at the moment is the Old Lee 166 gr . falls 172 using WW.
    Thought of PC ing them and hold them at about 1600-1800 fps. Has anyone tried the Lee 200 gr. That is about the only mold I can afford.
    The reports on the lee 200 gr. moulds i've seen are pouring a boolit at .359 to .3595 on average.
    I use the noe 200 gr version of that same boolit and it pours .3605 and i size to .360, but i used to use the rcbs version of the same boolit and it, like the lee, poured a bit over .359 and i sized to .359 for the same 35 whelen rifle i size to .360 for now.

I have to say i got just as good accuracy with the rcbs version sized to .359. If lee had made that mould back then, i probably would have bought it first.

Noe and lee are clones of the same rcbs boolit and if lee is what i could afford, i wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.
    If you happen to get one that pours .360, you could try sizing at both .359 and .360. If not, then just size the lee to .359.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    The reports on the lee 200 gr. moulds i've seen are pouring a boolit at .359 to .3595 on average.
    I use the noe 200 gr version of that same boolit and it pours .3605 and i size to .360, but i used to use the rcbs version of the same boolit and it, like the lee, poured a bit over .359 and i sized to .359 for the same 35 whelen rifle i size to .360 for now.

I have to say i got just as good accuracy with the rcbs version sized to .359. If lee had made that mould back then, i probably would have bought it first.

Noe and lee are clones of the same rcbs boolit and if lee is what i could afford, i wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.
    If you happen to get one that pours .360, you could try sizing at both .359 and .360. If not, then just size the lee to .359.
    Thanks for the information.