MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Help Identify this Case

Help Identify this Case

BrassMagnet now has the cartridges listed below. I have asked him to let me know when he confirms its identity. Will share when I know. Thanks for all the input.
    Doug

Hi,
    Have this listed in classifieds but don't really know what it is . Would appreciate any input. It is pictured with a 17 AH for comparison

6. NOT SURE WHAT THIS IS HEADSTAMP SAYS (30 REM R-P) it is APPROX. 7/8 in long Bottleneck cartridge appears to be 30 caliber. It is a rimless case.

Thanks for any help.
    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_1868.jpg   101_1864.jpg  
    Last edited by tred1956; 09-27-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something better !!

At first glance, it looks like a 30 cal Mauser pistol round.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/55...cket-box-of-50
    looks like the 30 mauser to me too.

Or .30 Luger
    Show a pic of the headstamp

Can't get a picture to show the headstamp well, but the only thing on headstamp is (30 REM R-P)

Thanks
    Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_1869.jpg   101_1871.jpg  

Boolit Master
    They used to make 8mm Nambu out of 30 cal rem. That what it looks like to me. Do i win a prize if i am right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any chance the fired cases could be 357 SIG (home-made)? 10mm, 40 S&W, and 30 Remington all use .422"+/- base/rim diameter.

8mm Nambu used a .413" rim, so a cut-down & reformed 30 Rem might be a home-rolled 8 Nambu. 30 Rem itself has been out of print for about 30 years, so I'm betting it is old home-made 8mm Nambu, all things considered. If I was to try making 8mm Nambu cases today, 357 SIG would be an easy conversion--one pass in a steel sizer die with adequate lube, and there they would be.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 09-13-2016 at 08:05 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

older Remington 30 luger ammo(7.65mm)
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Any chance the fired cases could be 357 SIG (home-made)? 10mm, 40 S&W, and 30 Remington all use .422"+/- base/rim diameter.

8mm Nambu used a .413" rim, so a cut-down & reformed 30 Rem might be a home-rolled 8 Nambu. 30 Rem itself has been out of print for about 30 years, so I'm betting it is old home-made 8mm Nambu, all things considered. If I was to try making 8mm Nambu cases today, 357 SIG would be an easy conversion--one pass in a steel sizer die with adequate lube, and there they would be.
    Back 30+ years ago their was no 10mm 357 Sig 40 cal. To make 8mm Nambu back then the only thing close enough was the 30 rem to make Nambu ammo. Now a days the 357 Sig is the case to use. Also can use 40 cal but more work. I have seen 30 rem made into 8mm Nambu but that was years back. If you wanted to shoot Nambu a 30 rem was used by custom reloader

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Or .30 Luger
    Show a pic of the headstamp
    30 Mauser and 30 Luger are the same round, or at least I think they are.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    30 Mauser and 30 Luger are the same round, or at least I think they are.
    No the are different rounds. They share the same bullet size. The 30 cal tok and mauser are real close too but they are different too.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
    No the are different rounds. They share the same bullet size. The 30 cal tok and mauser are real close too but they are different too.
    I stand, or sit corrected. My rather shallow knowledge on these rounds have come to light. My bad.

Boolit Master
    Measurements are always useful in situations like this. It looks very much like the Luger round, or the home-made Nambu. They have a body length slightly under double the diameter, and the Mauser (and very similar Tokarev and Mannlicher rounds) slightly over double. All of those pin the actual pistol down rather more correctly than, say, 9mm. or .38 Special. Maybe there are extractor or ejector marks which someone could identify as made a particular pistol?

Measurements would be great but based on the headstamp I vote custom loaded 8mm Nambu based on .30 Rem case. .30 Mauser was first in a version for the Borschardt pistol then C96 broomhandle. Then came the .30 Luger. I think. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your time sequence for the 30 caliber pistol rounds is correct per Barnes' "Cartridges of the World", Thomas. 1893, 1896, and 1900 respectively.

I still have about 175 of the 500 30 Mauser cases I made c. 1990 from 9mm Win Mag brass of W-W make. I hope no one has any of those and wonders what the heck I was doing with them 25+ years ago.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Your time sequence for the 30 caliber pistol rounds is correct per Barnes' "Cartridges of the World", Thomas. 1893, 1896, and 1900 respectively.

I still have about 175 of the 500 30 Mauser cases I made c. 1990 from 9mm Win Mag brass of W-W make. I hope no one has any of those and wonders what the heck I was doing with them 25+ years ago.
    Funny you should bring that up. I made for my 1873 French pistol custom ammo from 44-40. My french autos custom ammo from 32 longs. Guys year back made 30 mauser from 38 specials. Also 8mm Nambu from 38 supers most of times they would split the case during the first firing. Really back then if you wanted to shoot a odd ball caliber you had to make custom ammo from other brass. Some work good some other not two good. People 30 years from now would look at the custom brass and say what the hell is this. Like the 8mm Nambu made from 30 Rem.

BrassMagnet now has the cartridges listed below. I have asked him to let me know when he confirms its identity. Will share when I know.
    Thanks for all the input.
    Doug