WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What brand of Brass do you all like for 9.3 x 62?

Boolit Master
    Hi--Late to the party but I must say I too recommend Privi brass and bullets. Powder Valley stocks the Privi line:

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/brass.shtml

$47.00/100 cases and they are in stock as of now...

Bullets too.

What a beauty! A pure stalking rifle.

Boolit Master

Nice looking rifle for sure.

Like Wayne, I have one of the NOE molds for this caliber. 286 grains I think. It's a great looking design. I haven't worked with it enough to recommend it, but NOE makes great molds and since 9.3 molds are scarce, you could do worse than pick one of these up.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Nice looking rifle for sure.

Like Wayne, I have one of the NOE molds for this caliber. 286 grains I think. It's a great looking design. I haven't worked with it enough to recommend it, but NOE makes great molds and since 9.3 molds are scarce, you could do worse than pick one of these up.
    "NOE" does have some appealing offerings for sure.

My Rifle arrived to my local friendly Dealer FFL and I will go enjoy my visitation rights later today sometime.

Ten Day wait, then I can bring it home.

I plan to slug the Bore just to see what things measure out to...and once I know, I will be brooding then on the matter of a couple Molds.

I am really interested in Paper Patch, so, chances are, I will end up having at least one Mold made to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    What a beauty! A pure stalking rifle.
    Thank you!

I got to go look at it in person yesterday, and it impressed me as being a lot nicer then the images had suggested.

Ten Day wait...so...a week and low change to go till I can bring it home.

I'll bet SoCal is a safer place by making you wait ten days to claim your gun! Let us know how it does! Best, Thomas.

Boolit Mold
    I use PPU cartridges in this caliber for boar and deer driven hunts and reload the brass (I'm in Portugal). The brass is good enough and I dont see the need to spend the extra money for the Norma or Lapua cases.

When I went to pick it up, it turned out October 8th was when they could 'dros' ( Dealer's Report of Sale or Transfer ), so, my "ten day" wait began then, and I can go pick it up on October 19th.

Anyway, I have 100 Lapua Cartridge Cases on the way...and also some large Rifle Primers.

So...'so far so good' anyway, even if slow as heck! Lol...

Thank you all very much for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    When I went to pick it up, it turned out October 8th was when they could 'dros' ( Dealer's Report of Sale or Transfer ), so, my "ten day" wait began then, and I can go pick it up on October 19th.

Anyway, I have 100 Lapua Cartridge Cases on the way...and also some large Rifle Primers.

So...'so far so good' anyway, even if slow as heck! Lol...

Thank you all very much for your input!
    I love California- but I wouldn't live there.

Boolit Man
    I bought an Interarms Mauser Full Stock 30-06 with the intention of sending it to Jes and having it rebored to 9.3x62, I wanted to hunt Nilgai with it. Never had it rebored, killed a Nilgai bull with it last year and just received notice that I was drawn for another hunt in December.

Boolit Master
    Don't overlook Hornady. They offer dies, brass (supposedly of the correct size), and I think loaded ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Don't overlook Hornady. They offer dies, brass (supposedly of the correct size), and I think loaded ammunition.

I think I will get a few Boxes of 'Off the Shelf' Cartridges, just so I can try a few shots with the Rifle while I am deciding on what to do about Cast Bullets for it.

Picked it up yesterday finally, and brought it home.

Bore is very nice, 'like a Mirror', very little blue worn from where the Bolt rubs going in and out, I doubt the Rifle has had much use at all.

Slugged the Bore, and, looks like Groove to Groove is .366, Land to Land, .351, so, 'deep' Grooves.

I'll be brooding on what shape/weight Boolits to have a Mold made for.

If you can mail order ammo in SoCal- buy ONE box of Privi from Graf&Sons and try them. I did and that's why I'm using their brass in other cartridges. The accuracy of those factory rounds in the CZ550 was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you can mail order ammo in SoCal- buy ONE box of Privi from Graf&Sons and try them. I did and that's why I'm using their brass in other cartridges. The accuracy of those factory rounds in the CZ550 was amazing.
    Yes, at least for the time being still, Californians can get ammo via Mail Order and it is fine.

Some new 'laws' are pending which will require background checks and fees to purchase ammo in State, and probably to 'import' ammo from out of state, but I have not found out how this will effect Mail Order but I expect they will make Mail Order illegal and insist all purchases go through a Dealer or State Licensed middleman, who will manage the background check and fee collection stuff.

No idea how the new laws will effect loading one's own...maybe they will require a deeper background check and a license to do it, with state inspections and Book Keeping and so on...but, I do not know.

But the new laws are some years away yet, far as I recall, if they do not get rejected along the way.

I'l do that, I will send off for a couple Boxes of the Privi.

I might also put out a call to see if anyone has any Cast Boolits I can buy a dozen of or so, so I can get a Toe in the Water with my Loading for it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Highland (Aussie branded PPU ammo) factory ammo was cheaper than Lapua brass here in Australia and it was in stock locally, wheras the Lapua had to be posted. Works for me.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Update ~ Got my Lapua Brass, got Primers, got a couple Powders...pages of notes from other's Loading testimonials ( in regard to which I will of course start "low" and likely not work up all that far, ) got a lovely "NOE" Mold for throwing the 286 Grain flat base, flat Point .366 Boolit...and as of today, I have 'Redding' three Die set on the way also...

So, getting there finally!

Been too slammed with Work to have even gotten to the Range anyway, since starting this Thread! Lol...eeesh..!

Boolit Master
    I have a similar Husqvarna rifle that was originally chambered in 9.3x57 and I had it rechambered to x62. It's a large ring Mauser action probably produced by FN in the late 30's according to what research I did. I took it to South Africa and shot some plains game using the issued sights. I've since had the action drilled and tapped for a Williams receiver sight and it will shot 1"ish groups at 100 yards if I do my part. Light, accurate, well made, adequate for any animal on the planet, you may find it's the one rifle you need to hunt anything and everything.

Lapua is probably the best brass I've used in my three 9,3x62 rifles. You can't seem to wear it out and rarely needs trimmed. Graf and Sons' brass works well too. I believe it's made by PPU but I may be wrong. I've made brass from .30-06 brass too and never had a problem. Nosler partitions are adequate for any animal not a "pachyderm", Hornady soft points are just fine for deer sized game and I'd not be worried to use them for elk or moose sized either. There are a LOT of different components available for the 9.3.

I've got the NOE mold and it makes pretty bullets but I haven't tried them in the Husqvarna. Yet.
    Last edited by Rick R; 12-22-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Banned
    Oyeboten,

For CB loads, I believe that .30-06 brass is quite FINE to reform into 9.3x62 Mauser. - Personally, I prefer Lake City M2 brass.
    (I recently was given >500 "once-fired" LC cases, which should last me a LONG time.)

Otoh, when I go to Africa (bearing my JES-reformatted Model 760) this fall, to try to take a Cape Buffalo (and MAYBE leopard), I'll use the Privi Partizan 286 grain JSP/solids for that task.

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 07-20-2017 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    All I could find was 140 Highland Factory rounds which is Aussie branded Privi Partisan ammo. Works ok.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Looks like you got a fine rifle there.And from your description,very lightly used.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123