Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Which firing pin stop?

Boolit Master

Which firing pin stop?

If I gut my Series 80 frame and slide, remove the series 80 parts and put in a TJ's spacer...which EGW oversize firing pin stop should I use? Series 80 or series 70? They make both. The series 80 has a cutout notch for the now pretty much gone series 80 parts. The series 70 is un-notched.

I fi I use the series 70, would that give me more bearing surface on the slide? Which I assume would be a good thing...
    [

Boolit Master

Which firing pin stop?

My Colt series 70 needed a new FPS. I went with the EGW oversized one also. As I understand it a series 70 can use either a 70 or 80 style FPS. Seeing as you would technically have a series 70 style slide either FPS should work. I do not believe there is any real world advantage to the 70 style FPS having slightly more surface bearing.

I just have to ask, why do you want to gut the series 80 parts from your 1911? I understand they aren't original to the JM Browning design, but if your gun is otherwise functioning I would leave it alone.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 09-12-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

I'm guessing trigger pull is the primary reason for getting rid of the series 80 parts. As pointed out, either stop will work in this case. A flat bottom stop will slightly retard the pistol unlocking if that's an issue and is one of several parts used to insure proper +P performance.

Boolit Master

Which firing pin stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I'm guessing trigger pull is the primary reason for getting rid of the series 80 parts.
    Not an expert, but do those parts really effect trigger pull? My understanding is they only come into play right as the slack is being taken up. The trigger, sear, hammer etc. are not effected by those parts.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Trust me...they affect trigger pull. I gutted my Para-Ordnance of those parts, and that's all I did at first and the trigger feel improved. Now "feel" is a very imprecise term but I can tell you it was better without the series 80 parts. I also wanted to use a series 70 firing pin that I had.

I'm not saying a series 80 can't have a good trigger pull. It clearly can. I'm saying that dealing with fewer parts makes obtaining a good trigger pull easier. I don't like plastic triggers so the next thing I did was to change out the trigger for a Gun Craft aluminum one. Once you start down this path it's better to try and make things as simple as possible.
    [