RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Installing target knobs on a Williams Sight

Boolit Bub

Installing target knobs on a Williams Sight

I installed a William FP sight on my Winchester 55. The thing works great. While its not a Warner target sight, its very close. All it needed was some target knobs....Oh Wait. they make them with target sights?? I didn't know, and installed a lower grade unit. I called Williams and got the retrofit parts. Here is a little write up on installing them.

Note the old adjustment screw. Its scalloped to detent with the ball bearing, which you can see also in he picture. Is to the left of the data white line. As long as you keep the sight in this orientation while removing the old screw you can't go wrong. The old screw needs to be pushed out, easy to do by pushing the end of it with a flat screwdriver. Once the old screw is out, push the new one back in and your done.

The above shows the windage screw and the detent ball also located at the white data line. This screw is left threads, and must be screwed out, which pushes the peep sight to one side of the frame...see below.

After its screwed out of the peep, just give it a yank and it comes right out. Make sure the sight is in the orientation shown so the ball stays in place. Remember when screwing the new screw in its left threads, or you will be pulling your hair out like I did for five minutes thinking I had stripped the works!

Next come the job lock screw for the elevation. Mine was way too long.....

The new one is on the left. You can see the threads are twice as long as needed. I diamond wheeled them off with a dremel.

Another picture of the old and new screw, and the gib itself. After I shortened the threads it worked great.

Unfortunately there still is the little issue with the locking screw for windage. If its losses, the peep can and does rotate up and down substantially, like about 5 minutes of angle I would guess. I will buy a knob somewhere or fab my own. My goal is...no screwdrivers to lock and unlock the adjustments on this sight.

I am close now....

The end product....

I'm glad you posted the process for those who desire TK's (target knobs).

I avoid them like the plague on my hunting rifles, because the adjustments (locked or not) seem to get moved when knocking around either hunting camp or coon-fingered friends.......

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I'm glad you posted the process for those who desire TK's (target knobs).

I avoid them like the plague on my hunting rifles, because the adjustments (locked or not) seem to get moved when knocking around either hunting camp or coon-fingered friends.......

Agreed. I have had them shift with target knobs when hunting. Too easy to brush them against something and throw you off. If you use them, be sure you have an index on both windage and elevation, and check them frequently when in the field.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    The gib lock is very secure as is the windage locking screw. I always use a paint pen to mark 100, 200, 300 yards rather then remember clicks.

The knobs are more for match shooters than hunters. For hunting the knobs would be an easier way to dial into your preset elevation zeros depending on where the animal showed up range wise. Otherwise you need Kentucky windage or a screwdriver.

I also tried one of the 0.050 apertures. While not optimal for low light conditions, the sight works outstanding in normal light conditions.
    Last edited by bubbapug1; 09-12-2016 at 10:26 PM.