Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got me a Rossi 461

Boolit Master

These shops are also carrying the Taurus "slim" pistol? Model 709, I think?
    It gets very good reviews. But can't never get one because ever time I go and think about it, someone trades in a Ruger LC9 for a 9s version and it priced cheaper. :
    And the fact you can get magazines for the Ruger easier than the Taurus. Although I have seen some in stock at these store now. Not the case a month ago.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nope, none of the "Slim" pistols are in stock around here. It could just be regional thing.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Recently I bought two Tauri, used but recent manufacture---a model 85 snubby and a 709 slim 9mm. They are inexpensive new, but were very inexpensive slightly used. The 9mm is ugly, ugly, ugly, but it is a handy size and has worked perfectly so far. The adjustable rear sight works so well I wish I had it on every gun. The new parkerized finish on the 85 is ugly compared with their old blueing, but the gun works perfectly. The new shape to the 85 stocks is actually very nice.

Thought I would update on the 461. I've settled on feeding it 4.3 grains HP-38 and a CCI primer under a Lee 358-150SWC. Gets 795 fps across the chrono and is plenty accurate and easy to shoot. I've been carrying it in a cartridge belt holster while deer humting and I can say the 461 is a very easy carrying wheelgun, even compared to my K-frames. Very happy with this revolver, well worth the low price and then some.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Low Budget Shooter View Post
    Recently I bought two Tauri, used but recent manufacture---a model 85 snubby and a 709 slim 9mm. They are inexpensive new, but were very inexpensive slightly used. The 9mm is ugly, ugly, ugly, but it is a handy size and has worked perfectly so far. The adjustable rear sight works so well I wish I had it on every gun. The new parkerized finish on the 85 is ugly compared with their old blueing, but the gun works perfectly. The new shape to the 85 stocks is actually very nice.
    I finally got a Slim 740, stainkess steel upper. It's a shot little and carry a lot pistol! But I put some Talon Grips on it and put about 300 rounds through it in 5/6 range trips. I put it on par with the Shield, accuracy wise. Very happy with it. Federal 180gr HSTs was flawless, it's what I carry in my 40SWs.

I thought the same about the new 85s.

Still awaiting for a stainless steel upper 709 to pop up.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

My wife carried a Taurus 85 Ultralight for years with no trouble. I would shoot 200 rounds per session every time we took it out. Other than printing a tad to the left it never failed- even when I tried to copy Jerry M speed shooting. She changed to a 9mm Shield and we let the Taurus go when I got a .40 Shield. Great guns and I'm sure the Rossi is as well. I also lament the lack of affordable 4" K frame size revolvers as there is definitely a market for them. Hind sight is 20/20 - I should have bought a bunch of police trade in 4" M&Ps in the 90s when they were $150! Best, Thomas.

Banned
    We've all heard the stories about Taurus guns and since they now own Rossi, I'll include them here.
    My experience with Taurus can be summed up with the statement: Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get a bad one.
    I will say that of all of the Taurus models I've encountered over the years, the one they consistently seems to get right is the Model 85.
    The Rossi/Taurus 461 seems to be a mix of a couple of designs. It has the elongated trigger guard similar to a S&W J-frame and a six round cylinder similar to a S&W K-frame. It looks like they wanted to make a 6 round copy of a Colt Detective Special with S&W DNA and a coil type main spring. Nothing wrong with that thinking.

As for holsters, You might be able to find something close but you're probably going to be better off making your own or getting someone to make one.

If you end up using a holster for another gun, I would suggest going with a holster designed for a five shot revolver. I think you will be better off stretching the holster to fit that 6 round cylinder than trying to compensate some other dimension. The Rossi will probably be shorter from top strap to the bottom of the trigger guard than the same distance on a S&W K-frame. The full lug barrel may be a problem but it would be easier to open up that part of a holster than the main portion that covers the frame/cylinder.

Taurus has made .38 and .357 wheelguns for decades and I think they are definitely above the rest of the line.

Banned
    I've had good Taurus' and bad Taurus' and I've seen others with similar experiences. I'm no longer willing to play in that sandbox. I will say that Taurus knows how to build a good gun, they just don't pull it off with the consistency I desire.

Petrol and powder, leather holsters for the SP-101 are nearly a perfect fit. Stretch 'em out a little and they are perfect. What is amazing is that the 461 is smaller in every dimension than my .38 Special K-frames. Even the cylinder is shorter although the 461 is a .357. I still say Ruger might have the perfect carry revolver if they added a sixth round to the SP-101. It wouldn't be hard to do as the SP is already a big 5 shot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Petrol and powder, leather holsters for the SP-101 are nearly a perfect fit. Stretch 'em out a little and they are perfect. What is amazing is that the 461 is smaller in every dimension than my .38 Special K-frames. Even the cylinder is shorter although the 461 is a .357. I still say Ruger might have the perfect carry revolver if they added a sixth round to the SP-101. It wouldn't be hard to do as the SP is already a big 5 shot.
    Yea, I thought a SP101 holster would be close. The SP101 has a big lug on the barrel and it's overall a tad larger than a J-frame. A SP101 holster will be Pretty close to that Rossi 461 if you stretch it around the larger cylinder.

The SP101 is a fine gun but I carry a lightweight, DAO J-frame because that SP101 is just a bit too big/heavy for pocket carry in my book. Now, if you're willing to step up to using a holster ; your options increase considerably. There's the Rossi you have and in that same class there's the SP101, Taurus 85 and the 2" K-frames. The Colt Detective Special is right on the edge of pocket carry for me.

As for that 6th round; I'm not convinced it's worth the penalty in weight and width but that's a personal thing. I think the old Detective Special is easier to shoot because it's just a little more gun to hold onto. That extra round is just icing on the cake, IMO.
    It all depends on what's right for you.

I say, if I'm going to carry on the belt then why not have a sixth round and a little more barrel? If I'm going to carry a revolver in the pocket then yes, I want it to be as slim n' trim as possible. My little S&W 637 is as good of a pocket gun as a .38 can be. Very lightweight and shoots better than it's owner!

Thought I should post a long overdue update on the Rossi 461. I think the sluggish velocity was due to the yawning .012 barrel to cylinder gap. All my other wheelguns are .002-.006, so that is definitely not good. I had no idea if Rossi would even think there was a problem, but I figured I would find out for sure. I wrote up a nice letter explaining why I think .012 is too much and had my dealer send it back over the winter. The revolver finally showed back up last week, things sure move slow with them. Anyhow, I was amazed to see that Rossi had replaced both barrel and cylinder and the 461 now has a nice snug .003 gap with almost no endshake. Way to go Rossi!! Hopefully I can shoot it this weekend.

Update: fired the Rossi some before work today. First dozen rounds fired great, then the firing pin broke. I really don't feel like sending it back to Rossi again. Is there an S&W firing pin that will work? It looks K frame size to me.

The holster issue can be solved by www.mernickleholsters.com . Click under their concealed carry section or any other style that suits you & you'll find that they make the holster according to make, model, bbl. length, bbl. contour & caliber. You can't beat their price & their quality is first rate.

Henry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123