RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Used Airguns wind up...where?

Boolit Buddy

Used Airguns wind up...where?

Like the title says, I'm curious where used airguns wind up. I've seen one or two at garage sales and I've seen a small few on well known sites like gunbroker. But I feel like there should be more used airguns. Like the old single-stroke pneumatics for competition that were displaced by CO2 and then PCP. I've never seen one of those for sale and I've kept my eyes peeled. Similarly the older crosman 1077s can be adapted to take larger CO2 canisters while the new ones can't. Those older guns would be desirable.

Are airgunners just more likely to hang on to them and pass them on to their kids? Or are they snapped up really quickly? Or is there a site my google-fu is unable to find where the swapping goes on?

Boolit Master

They probably end up sitting in the garage until they are rusted and then thrown away.

Any firearm that was to end up in a similar condition would be relegated to "wall hanger" status instead...

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
    Like the title says, I'm curious where used airguns wind up. I've seen one or two at garage sales and I've seen a small few on well known sites like gunbroker. But I feel like there should be more used airguns. Like the old single-stroke pneumatics for competition that were displaced by CO2 and then PCP. I've never seen one of those for sale and I've kept my eyes peeled. Similarly the older crosman 1077s can be adapted to take larger CO2 canisters while the new ones can't. Those older guns would be desirable.

Are airgunners just more likely to hang on to them and pass them on to their kids? Or are they snapped up really quickly? Or is there a site my google-fu is unable to find where the swapping goes on?
    Most if sold are sold from air gun forum adds . Marvin

Boolit Master
    All that stuff is "collectible" now. Check on the Vintage Airguns Forum; a lot of it is on there.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/405945

Moderator Emeritus

I can't speak for why everyone else who might be hanging on to them?
    But I have two RWS 54 rifles in my closet, that rarely get used (a .177 and a .22).
    They were just too expensive, to sell cheaply, just cuz I rarely use them. They both look almost like new, although the .22 has some handling dings in the stock, that's how I received it.

The .177, I bought new in the early 1990s and was spendy, especially with all the accessories needed. Shortly thereafter, I bought the .22, it was used and listed in "shotgun news" (before there was much public access to the internet), I got that one fairly cheap, but still 6 times the price of a china air rifle, I figured that's why it didn't sell instantly in that national periodical. I got it when I gave the fella a call. Honestly it was about the same price of the Burris scope that was on it, so it was almost like the rifle was free.

Lastly, I had a few of the $29 China made Spring/Air pellet Rifles, they quickly were sold at gunshows and/or via the want ads in the local newpaper (remember when that was the best way to sell used stuff?), after I got (and shot) the German made RWS, as I realized what a world of difference the German made rifles are from the China junk at that time, so I had no need for them.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 09-10-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I just learned that there are also a handful of airgun shows http://www.americanairgunner.com/airgun-events/

I might have to attend one of those.

Estate sales. The 1979 model 60 & 1973 Sheridan silver streak came from folk that no longer needed them
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    I could get about any airgun at the local gunsmiths. Having 2 springers, 177 and 22, I'm not in a need for another. I shoot them more than my firearms, due to the evil gun control we have here in brazil. What I'm really wanting is an air pistol, which I find very expensive here, because I'm a lousy pistol shooter and need more training.

I got my second Sheridan Blue Streak from Gunbroker.com.

Great shape, shoots well, looks newer than my old early 70's one, so it was oiled and stashed for a rainy day.

My kids all ready put their dibs on mine. I don't even know if I will be dead and gone before my airguns are just gone. Any high end airguns I have sold have been to close friends or family.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    Mostly it seems they wind up at y house