Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm stupid about kitchen equipent

Boolit Master

I'm stupid about kitchen equipent

So yeah...I'm supposed to get an oven. They say oven. They say convection. They say Walmart. They say Oster.

Can someone point me at the "exact", "reasonably priced", oven that will work well for the Hi-Tek bullet coating process? There are just too many!

I was going to use my wife's old kitchen oven but it needs 220 and I don't want to go through that hassle and besides, I know it's not a convection oven. How did I know? I asked my wife.

So, I tried looking for the largest, 110v, convection, Oster, oven at the Walmart sight...went crazy and now I'm here...
    [

It depends on how big your HT operations might become. You know you want it...get the big one!

Boolit Master
    I'm not even sure what a big one is...Donnie Miculek said to get the $100.00 one or so for a home abuser like me. I need the oven, a thermometer, 'cause the oven's aren't accurate enough and a timer or two...

My head spins when I look at ovens...all I want to do when I see one is pick up the phone and order chinese to go.
    [

Boolit Master

Black & Decker makes one also. My wife bought one when she got tired of the one we had. It is really a toaster oven but the oven function is convection. I have to admit that it is nice for food applications. Works faster.

It will be a few years before it is available for Powder Coat. BTW, it cost less than $100.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 09-09-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    John
    W.TN

I got one of the small black and decker ones. tray is 9"x9". does about 125 9mm bullets at a time. and the thermostat on the oven is dead on compared to the small oven thermometer I put on the tray. cost less than 50$ at wal-mart

As Yogdog said, it all depends on how much you want to do. I picked up a non-convection oven (smallish, as I have to put it away when I've finished) cheap at a thrift shop. I can only use the centre tray position 'cos the top and bottom are too close to the heating elements but it works fine for my needs - I can get 100-150 on the tray at a time. If I come across a cheap convection oven I'll grab it but in the meantime I can happily cook boolits.

If you look at the main Hi-Tek thread Ausglock modified a used, full size convection oven, but then he is processing a lot more than me.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Won't tell you what I use, some on here throw a fit about it.

But after talking to those who make PC, and speaking to a few local large users of PC, I'll just continue to do as I do.

BTW, the one large user's plant covers almost a city block. But hey, what does he know???????????????
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

We weren't sure we would take to PCing at first so we bought the least expensive, new toaster oven we could fine. The Proctor Silex Model 31118R was less than thirty bucks out the door. It holds only 125+ upright peanuts at a time. It's non-convection and real simple. Maybe we just lucked-out on our first shot but several thousand candy coated goobers later... we're hooked and it still cooks.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Proctor-S...FQYdaQod6lwIAw

There are so many calibers and bullet designs because there are so many different targets... the target is everything.

Boolit Master
    I think I'm going to send my wife to where ever ovens are sold with the requirements. It may end up being color coordinated with my reloading room but I bet I get a nice one...It looks like for a $100.00 I should be able to get a decent one of fair size...from China..or India...or somewhere else not here.
    [

Moderator Emeritus

I see used toaster ovens at goodwill or other thrift stores for $3 to $10.
    I'd start out cheap, to see if you like PC.
    But the time you figure it out, you'll have read enough threads to know what to look for...if you want a large 'full size' type deal...and maybe a PID?

I got a Black & Decker one, looked like new, It was marked $6, but it was a 50% off color tag, so I got it for three. I use it for heat treating rifle boolits.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

AbitNuts,
    That is too funny.....
    Order Chinese and sit back and enjoy the ride !

Boolit Master
    Gave $5 for a convection oven at Goodwill four years ago still works fine.Check with them often and see if you can score.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I see used toaster ovens at goodwill or other thrift stores for $3 to $10.
    I'd start out cheap, to see if you like PC.
    But the time you figure it out, you'll have read enough threads to know what to look for...if you want a large 'full size' type deal...and maybe a PID?

I got a Black & Decker one, looked like new, It was marked $6, but it was a 50% off color tag, so I got it for three. I use it for heat treating rifle boolits.
    Really? A PID? Oh, wait...if I use one of those 110v convection ovens I have a PID I move around that I can plug it into. But what about the probe? Maybe I have to drill a hole in the oven somewhere? Now we're cookin'! I mean, I'm cookin'! Who'd a thunk it?
    [

Boolit Master

I bought mine a walmart. Holds my 8x8 tray. can do about 125 at a time. just a plain toaster oven that cost $19.00.
    Does great for me even if it's not a convection oven.
    Built a PID for it cause I like to tinker. used the same kind of probe that goes in the lead pot
    Like what I've got and see no need to upgrade
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    How did you get the PID's probe in? Just pick a place and drill a hole?
    [

Boolit Master
    Just use your wife's toaster oven , then tell her she can't use it for food anymore sorry darling . She will go get a new one so now you have a spare .....plus she will upgrade .

Banned
    I bought this one at Amazon for 35 bucks. Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Toaster Oven, Metallic (31334) It has a "roll top" which makes loading the tray with long boolits much easier.

You also want this: Chef's Planet 401 Nonstick Toaster Oven Liner as it allows you to peel off the boolits and it cleans easily.

In action:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5085.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	176313
    Last edited by Mr Humble; 09-10-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've thought about that but she's still hasn't forgiven me for the dishwasher. I started cleaning my Ruger Old Army Stainless revolvers in it after a match. Just remove the grips, put the cylinder in the silverware tray and hang it from the trigger guard....spray down with favorite soap and away it goes...

Who would have thought she'd notice the slight but fragrant odor of Balistol in the dishes?
    [

Boolit Master
    Went all out...got the Hamilton Beach extra large convection oven...regularly $99.00, on sale for $69.00...woo hoo!

Also got everything listed in the video and directions, buckets, squeeze bottles, acetone, digital timers, mesh oven tray and and oven thermometer. I'll add the PID probe probe when she isn't around. She might object to drilling holes in it right away.
    [

One slight problem with using a PID on a convection oven - each time the PID cycles the oven off the convection fan will stop! It's necessary to rewire the oven and connect the fan directly to the power so it doesn't go via the PID.

I have the same setup as Walter, so no fan to worry about. As for the probe, I just drilled a hole in the back of the oven so the probe is mounted just above the middle shelf. Used a spare 4" probe.

Using Hi-Tek there's no need for non-stick oven liners, just a mesh tray to dump them on.