Load DataWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Factory" Chamberings For Japanese Type 99

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I have a sporterized Jap type 99 chambered for 7.65 Mauser! If you compare the two cartridges they are almost identical.

The barrel was removed and the shoulder turned off just enough to allow it to thread in one more turn. Metal was then removed from the rear of the barrel and I don't think machining the extractor slot was even needed. The result is a handy rifle that will shoot corrosive surplus ammo all day and shrug it off because of the chrome plated bore.

This conversion was done in the early sixties and might be what you have.
    Interesting, Nippo-tine 7.65 Louis must have got the cerrosafe casting stuck in the chamber! LOL Come on Louis enquiring minds want to know.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Come on TC.....the suspense is killing me !!!!! what is it

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Come on TC.....the suspense is killing me !!!!! what is it
    Louis must have forgotten he posted this here, or got onto a different project for now?
    Charter Member #148

I have owned two that were "sportarized" and the chambers were recut to 30-06 by just sticking a reamer into the chamber and letting the web blow out on a fired case. They shot OK for a .308 bullet in a .311 barrel. I paid $5 for the first one and put a Fajen sporter stock on it, then hunted with it all the time I was in HS, up in the far north woods.
    Ed
    "Let us speak courteously, fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Teddy Roosevelt, May 13, 1903

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Interesting, Nippo-tine 7.65 Louis must have got the cerrosafe casting stuck in the chamber! LOL Come on Louis enquiring minds want to know.
    I posted that some time back, and forgot to mention that the two cartridge profiles, i.e. shoulder angles, etc. are almost identical. The only difference is the length and setting the barrel back one thread took care of that. My particular rifle was inlet into a nice custom stock and shoots well enough to take ground squirrels at 100 yards if I do my part.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sur-shot View Post
    I have owned two that were "sportarized" and the chambers were recut to 30-06 by just sticking a reamer into the chamber and letting the web blow out on a fired case. They shot OK for a .308 bullet in a .311 barrel. I paid $5 for the first one and put a Fajen sporter stock on it, then hunted with it all the time I was in HS, up in the far north woods.
    Ed
    During the Korean war the US took 1000's of WW11 Japanese rifle and rechamber them to 30-06 and give them to the Korean troops. So its very possible that some of them made it back to the US. It was a cheap and simple job to do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
    During the Korean war the US took 1000's of WW11 Japanese rifle and rechamber them to 30-06 and give them to the Korean troops. So its very possible that some of them made it back to the US. It was a cheap and simple job to do.
    Yes, and if you find one PM me. They have "3006" stamped in LARGE numbers on the side of the receiver and I'd love to find one for my collection. I don't know if the U.S. armorers bothered to set the barrels back or not before rechambering, but they were a quick way to arm the ROK troops in the early fifties.

Boolit Master
    I have a 99 rechambered to 30-06. It shot ok but the magazine length was a problem. Sooo, I put a .308 W chamber adaptor in there. Bingo. Shot alright and over all length was not a problem. Now I want that adaptor out of there and it's not budging. Tried the usual methods. It's really stuck good. Ideas?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    I have a 99 rechambered to 30-06. It shot ok but the magazine length was a problem. Sooo, I put a .308 W chamber adaptor in there. Bingo. Shot alright and over all length was not a problem. Now I want that adaptor out of there and it's not budging. Tried the usual methods. It's really stuck good. Ideas?
    By "the usual methods" I assume you tried a broken shell extractor? I think that's how they were supposed to be removed. The only other method I can think of is to use an appropriate sized tap and thread it carefully into the adapter, leave the tap in place then knock it out from the muzzle with a 1/4" brazing rod.......which of course will ruin the adapter.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the idea. Haven't thought of that. I'll look at my taps for a fit. It actually functions as a magazine fed .308 w. so I'm tempted to leave it. But, the bolt closes with some resistance on factory ammo and I'm concerned the adaptor may move sometime down the line and disable the thing completely.

Boolit Grand Master

Shameful bump, but it has been over a month?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Boolit Grand Master

We'll just call it the two month bump. I hope it doesn't take nine months for this to hatch!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Although I have never actually had opportunity to see one of the type 99's chambered to the 30-06 case, I do remember seeing gunsmiths advertise doing this in the late 50's and very early 60's. But they also would say that the action needed a little work to get the magazine to work with the longer case. In this case a 7.7-06. One of our local gunsmiths also re-chambered some of the 6.5x50 rifles to the .257 Roberts case for a 6.5X.257 hybrid. It was the late 60's or early 70's before 6.5x50 and the 7.7 ammo started slowing being available. Dies were hard to find also. Ramblings of a very old memory, james

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12