MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Renegade Barrel Replacement?

Boolit Grand Master

Ok that's about what I would offer in the shop and here's why...

Yes the parts are worth more than that but I would either have to rebarrel the gun adding another $250 plus to the cost or I would have to hold the parts till someone needed a ??? Hammer, sear, stock, ect and sell it a piece at a time over what may be years. I have a drawer full of T/C parts bought like that over the years and some I may never sell.

This isn't gouging it's just plain practical.

I paid $200 for a great shape Renegade 50 cal. a couple years ago and still see them in the $250 range. I wouldn't give more than $100 if the barrel is toast.

Perma-Banned
    plenty of NICE Renegades to be had for $250.00 or less so, I stand by my statement, I'd give 100 bucks for it. and I'd try to talk him down a bit even if offered at that price.

Boolit Master

Saw a nice one for $150 at a gun show recently. Deals are out there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    I paid $200 for a great shape Renegade 50 cal. a couple years ago and still see them in the $250 range. I wouldn't give more than $100 if the barrel is toast.
    My line of reasoning also. Can't see plunking down too much cash when you can pick up another one so easily.

$100 is a great deal...The parts for that rifle even without the barrel will fetch $200 plus on Evil-Bay..If you look on Evil-Bay lately all the T/C muzzle loader parts are sky high

Reboring; big decision is what to play with because you can design your own rifling geometry and twist to suit the needs of your location and circumstances.

Boolit Master
    So far I have had three Renegade barrels Re Bored or Relined by Hoyt.
    A .56 SB to 61 with a slow twist , a 54 Relined to slow twist and a .50 Relined to a Slow twist.
    So far I am very happy with all of them
    Costwise it was still cheaper than a New Barrel.
    In fact , I have a T/C Hawken barrel in .50 that I am packing up to ship to Hoyt this week.
    But like mentioned in another post , I haven't decided on the new caliber or twist that I want to go with on this barrel.
    Last edited by LAGS; 06-29-2020 at 08:08 AM.

I'm that way by a lefthand .50 New Englander barrel. Haven't decided what would be funner.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I contacted these guys, their wait time is way, way out there. I know good work is worth waiting for, but I'm not looking to get a match rifle...only a good hunting rifle. Thanks though.
    I'm curious. How long did Bob say his lead time was? He turned around the last barrel he did for me in a month.

Boolit Master
    Hoyt turned my barrels around in about a month.
    But that was before this Pandemic.
    I noticed that shipping right now takes a couple of days more than it use to for some reason

Boolit Master
    Your best bet is Bob Hoyt ,he has done relining from 50 to 45 with my specified twist and many barrels renegade and Hawken 45 to 50 /54 to 62 1-60 twist 50 to58 1-55/56 to 62 (smoothy) and you get the idea . Your barrel built to your spec and real reasonable with out a big delay /a happy customer/Ed

Last job, sent him samples of NEI #198-388 SWC, Ideal #386178 hollow base and a rifle to make shoot them.

Now waiting on my .386 diameter push through sizer.

Boolit Buddy
    Bob has done a few round ball rifles for me and I just received my hawken .40 caliber bullet barrel from him. Can’t wait to go shooting!

Boolit Buddy
    Have you shot the existing barrel? If it looks like crud but still shoots good, why change anything?
    Just asking.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Grand Master
    This thread is several years old, but the topic never goes out of style. The last two or three Hoyt has done for me only took a few weeks. Re-line a #4 .22 roller, "refresh" and rusty gun show treasure, & some other machining. He hasn't slowed from pandemic issues.

I picked up a $125 T/C Renegade in fantastic shape, well, except for the barrel, which had rust & pitting. Discussed it with him and rather than re-bore or re-line, he "refreshed" the existing bore - factory rate of twist, and all - with some round bottom rifling. It's beautiful. On my end, all I have to do is cast a true ~ actual ~ .540 round ball and used the right patch. It's too big, now, for a .530. .535 will work with a thick patch. If the rest of the gun is good enough, Hoyt can work his magic on the innards. Much cheaper than a new barrel, all things being equal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    Bob has done a few round ball rifles for me and I just received my hawken .40 caliber bullet barrel from him. Can’t wait to go shooting!
    please post your findings. I am considering having a t/c barrel relined to a 40 cal. I got a 2 cavity rb mold, and it keeps screaming at me, I WANT A BARREL. LOL

Boolit Master
    I want to reline one of my renegade barrels to a slow twist 54 cal. And another to 40 cal. Roundball. Gettin all goose bumps reading all these posts.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    please post your findings. I am considering having a t/c barrel relined to a 40 cal. I got a 2 cavity rb mold, and it keeps screaming at me, I WANT A BARREL. LOL
    well I was short on time and had other guns to shoot but the first 5 shots at 50 yards could be covered by a quarter. If I had one... spending all my spare change on these doggone muzzleloader! The gun shows promise though, it’s destined to be my antelope, prairie dog and back East deer rifle. I’ll chronograph the thing but I’m speculating a 330 or 400 grain bullet at 1400 or so...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
    bob has done a few round ball rifles for me and i just received my hawken .40 caliber bullet barrel from him. Can’t wait to go shooting!
    did he do a relining on it? Or was it a custom barrel from scratch?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast