Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KelTec Sub 2000 problem

Boolit Mold

KelTec Sub 2000 problem

I have only been shooting for the last year. Obviously I am new to this sport but I enjoy it immensely and wonder why I did not do this when I was younger. I recently joined this site.

I recently purchased a Kel Tec Sub 2000 Gen 2 40 caliber rifle. It uses Glock magazines.

I am having a problem with the cartridges feeding properly. I have tried all different brands of cartridges even some with nylon coating. Invariably one of the cartridges will jam. There is no pattern to this. It is not the first one or the last one. I also tried just loading 2-3 cartridges in the magazines and I would still get one that would jam. I have used a variety of brands. I have not even fired 50 cartridges through the gun yet because of the Jamming.

I contacted Kel Tec and their solution is to use cartridges with a round nose. I have looked for these at all the local places and have not found any. All of the cartridges are flat tipped.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Tom Futrell

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Mold
    So in essence I will have to make my own bullets because I need round nose 40 cal. I have not started reloading yet just starting to get into it. Actually that means I will not have to get rid of the gun. I really like it but the RN problem was causing me issues because I could not find them to buy them.

Boolit Master
    It could be your magazine. Have you tried a different one?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

If the rifle is new, strip it down, clean it out, lube it up.
    I cant imagine it not feeding some form of factory ammunition.
    I'd say it hasn't reached break-in, but sounds like it fails way to often for just being new.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Futrell View Post
    [...] I contacted Kel Tec and their solution is to use cartridges with a round nose. I have looked for these at all the local places and have not found any. All of the cartridges are flat tipped.
    Pretty weak customer service IMO; .40S&W are truncated/conical - flatnose by design.
    Sorry that I can't be of more assistance but WM is certainly correct in that at least one popular line of factory ammo should work.
    If not, it sounds like a gun or mag issue - having to handload a RN design shouldn't need to be your only solution.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Boolit Master
    If common Walmart grade ammo does not feed reliable you should return the gun for warrentee work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Pretty weak customer service IMO; .40S&W are truncated/conical - flatnose by design.
    Sorry that I can't be of more assistance but WM is certainly correct in that at least one popular line of factory ammo should work.
    If not, it sounds like a gun or mag issue - having to handload a RN design shouldn't need to be your only solution.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I had a similar problem with my Hipoint carbine in .40sw. Eventually I bought 2 new magazines straight from the factory. After that a bright light, a magnifying glass and a pair of needle nose pliers and shortly all 4 mags were the same.

And from that day since all 4 mags shoot equally well.

Number your mags. White out dot on the bottom, nail polish, scratch's, whatever.
    When you get it pinned down to which one is the problem look carefully at both side by side.

Make tweaks small, test.

FYI I am shooting the .401 175gn truncated cone with no issues.

Ya have to love the pure fun factor of those pistol caliber carbines.

Hi tom. Call keltec back, insist on a warranty repair authorization. There is absolutely no reason why a brand new rifle shouldn't work. Send it to them and have them make it run..I have same rifle and it functions perfectly..d

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.

Boolit Mold
    Yes I actually bought additional magazines and have used all of them. I filled each magazine with 3 cartridges and shot each one and had a jam each time.

Boolit Mold
    I have not used more than approximately 30 cartridges. I am sure that it is not broken in yet. It will probably take for ever to break it in at this rate.

Boolit Mold
    I will do that. They told me something about polishing the part where the cartridge goes from the magazine into the rifle. I do not remember the correct term. In order to do that I would have to take the rifle apart and I think that voids the warranty. I will call them and insist on a warranty repair authorization and see where that gets me. Thanks for your input.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to contact Kel Tec again and insist on a warranty repair and send the rifle back to them.

Banned

exactly what I would do.
    or trade it in on a hi-point a semi auto that don't work properly is a single shot.
    you can buy a single shot rifle from rossi for about 200 bucks.

Banned

Vendor Sponsor

Kel- Tec is not a bad company to deal with. However due to the nature of their products and the demand for them they do ship some guns with problems out.

They will fix the gun all you have to do is get them to send you a return slip.

My .40 Glock has never malfunctioned, and I'm sure whatever is wrong with yours is minor.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I would second Randy's post on Keltec. I purchased a P3AT .380 a few years ago. After about 1500-1700 rounds (all max loads and some 120 gr.before I got my Ranch dog Mold) the slide cracked. Keltec sent me a new complete top end no charge. A few hundred rounds later the trigger broke and I sent the gun back to KT and they repaired it no charge and returned it to me. I don't know where you could get better service than that! BTW the gun is my regular carry gun, still functional today.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Vendor Sponsor

I also recommend going to http://www.thektog.org/forum/ as it is the goto place for all things Kel-Tec and any and all questions will be answered.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I had a sub2k that gave me a bunch of trouble some years back. I dont remember exactly what all the problems were, but I remember what the fix was. I took it down to the local trading post and got what I could out of it.