MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: All this talk of Unique, I can't get it readily, but I have access now to Universal

Boolit Master

All this talk of Unique, I can't get it readily, but I have access now to Universal

So for my pistols and .223 I was trying to find a powder that would span 44, 45 acp, and .223. Unique seems to do this, but is really difficult to get here. I saw some Universal Powder today and loads for 45ACP. So would this be an acceptable substitute for 44 mag, special, and .223?

Much aloha,

Tom

Boolit Master

I can't speak to the .223, but I do have experience with Universal in the .44Mag.
    It works just fine for low-midrange loads in 44Mag, and I see no reason it wouldn't work in 44Spl.
    I shoot a 240g TCFP over 9.5g Universal, for an accurate, easy shooter. 1.75" 6-shot groups at 25yds in a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter.
    Also, a 200g RNFP over 7.5 Universal - my wife loves it in a Taurus M44.

Universal has a similar burn rate to Unique, but measures more consistently for me. I rarely use Unique now, favoring Universal.

Banned

Pretty similar deal. I like Unique, but would have no problem with some Universal.

Boolit Master
    BE-86 seems readily available and is supposedly just a tad slower than Unique. It also seems to be cheaper. Have you considered it?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Grand Master
    Velocity variation powder forward to powder rearward is enormous in longish revolver cartridges....38, 357, .44, etc. more so than any other powder I have tried. Worse than Unique.

Really much better as autoloading pistol powder in shorter cases.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Velocity variation powder forward to powder rearward is enormous in longish revolver cartridges....38, 357, .44, etc. more so than any other powder I have tried. Worse than Unique.

Really much better as autoloading pistol powder in shorter cases.
    I'll second that. While I have a lot of Unique on hand, and it does 'work', it seems to be the Subaru Brat of powders for me. It does everything.... half way. I've since moved to 2400 for revolver cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just cannot recommend against Universal too much given its horrible ballistic consistency in revolver cartridges. It would be absolute last choice for me for such usage.

Boolit Master

GiBrass.com has some BR-5 that is supposedly equivalent to Unique.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Are you anywhere near Owensboro (Kentucky)? If so, stop by and save on the HAZMAT and shipping.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    I just cannot recommend against Universal too much given its horrible ballistic consistency in revolver cartridges. It would be absolute last choice for me for such usage.
    Whilst working up a load for the Lee 358-125RF in a .357Mag, I tried this load.
    5.0g Universal, S&B Spp, shot from a Ruger Security 6, 4" bbl

Avg 639.6 fps, SD 19.1, spread 61

While very slow, and not what I want in this cartridge, it doesn't show "horrible" ballistic consistency.

Granted, it's not the best SD, but then I am just starting work. Too, I have seen much, much worse SD's with other loads and other powders. I'm expect as I advance in charge weight, and the pressure gets up to where the powder will burn efficiently, the SD's will come down.

I'm fixin to load up some 6.0, and 6.3g loads this weekend - if you wish I will report how horrible the ballistic consistency is.

Boolit Master
    I've attempted to get away from Unique altogether only because it doesn't meter well through my Redding measure. I tried Universal several years ago. It flowed through my measure well and could be substituted "almost, but not quite" charge-for-charge with Unique as I recall. Of course, it must be treated as a different powder because it is. While I got slightly better accuracy with Unique loads, I must, in fairness, mention l did not put a lot into load development with Universal. I suspect, with a little work, it would probably equal the accuracy of Unique.

I'm not sure what "ballistic consistency" is, but I don't believe I had a problem with it.