Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discovered a gem of a cartridge

Boolit Grand Master

Discovered a gem of a cartridge

The back story is that I wanted a full sized rifle without a bunch of recoil that was reload able. It is to be for my children to learn on and also for my father in law to shoot as he is a little recoil sensitive. I looked at my options and spoke to a friend of mine and he suggested a lever in 32-20. Brass, bullets, molds, etc all available. I took the plunge and bought one off GB and as luck would have it, a member here was selling his as well. Eventually I'd like to get 5 total to pass to all my children. I'm working on similar with 1886 45/70 rifles as well.

I bought 2 molds off a member here, but still too hot in GA to cast so I picked up some 100gr XTP bullets. I saw 2 sets of data. One for modern levers and TC Encore pistols and the other for older BP era guns. I loaded a few with 7gr LG and shot a few this afternoon. What a hoot! A bonus is that they fit in my Dillon 38/357 boxes.

No recoil, enough noise to know its not a cap gun and enough cahoneys to small game hunt with. The load was minute of coke can. Will load some traditional cast boolits and can't wait to get back to the range.

Banned

I have a Savage 340 & love it. Easy to shoot,cheap to load. It'll roll a groundhog at 80 yards. My old vet said a 95gr xtp will drop a deer in its tracks.

If your "serious" about a 1886 in 45/70 I have one, mfg 1889. Rebarreled back in the day from a 26" Octagonal 40/60 to round tapered 45/70. It is in great condition.

Boolit Master

I've got a Savage 23 and a Marlin 1894CL in 32/20. Lots of fun!

It's also a hoot in a revolver.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Man
    Black Powder Bill - if osteodoc08 decides to pass on your offer, I'd be interested in learning more about that 1886 in 45/70. I won't even ask for pictures nor details until osteodoc08 has his shoot at it.
    [COLOR=#0000cd][I][SIZE=4][FONT=arial black]LeadPoisonTX[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LeadPoisonTX View Post
    Black Powder Bill - if osteodoc08 decides to pass on your offer, I'd be interested in learning more about that 1886 in 45/70. I won't even ask for pictures nor details until osteodoc08 has his shoot at it.
    OK thanks!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Agree with the 32-20 being a nice cartridge: Have a 95% original #2 Remington RB and just relined a Rossi M92 38 Spl/357 to 32-20
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    Just curious....

Why?

There are many .38/.357 lever actions. Brass is cheaper. They can be loaded light or stout. They can be loaded in quantity without concern of buckling thin necks and with carbide dies.

What is the advantage of a 32/20 for cheap plinking, varmints and small game? Plus the .357 would be a better deer cartridge. John Boy, your rationale would be interesting

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Agree with the 32-20 being a nice cartridge: Have a 95% original #2 Remington RB and just relined a Rossi M92 38 Spl/357 to 32-20
    Does the existing extractor work or is tuning involved?

Boolit Master

Just curious....

Why?
    I don't want to sound flippant dverna, but I guess it's because we can. As the OP said and as I stated in my first post to this thread: They are a lot of fun and why else do we shoot recreationally? Do we need to justify everything we do?
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 09-08-2016 at 01:06 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned

Have a ship load of 38's /357's ctgs., but no long gun.
    I had a 222 in 340. It shot well , but just didn't work for me. Walked into a BP shoot and this 32/20 was for sale less the magazine. Picked up a magazine,1,000 boolits /brass.

This rifle can ride in the pick-up no worries about a ding or the finish.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I don't want to sound flippant dverna, but I guess it's because we can. As the OP said and as I stated in my first post to this thread: They are a lot of fun and why else do we shoot recreationally? Do we need to justify everything we do?
    Just asking an honest question. BTW, the thread is "Discovered a gem of a cartridge" So why is it better?

I understand having a gun in .32/20 and finding a way to enjoy it. It may bring back memories, it may lose value if converted, or it may be too expensive to convert for the few hundred rounds a year it is used. Valid reasons to reload for it and shoot it.

I do not understand making an effort to find one, or in John Boy's case, investing in converting a rifle....unless there is an advantage in the caliber, or for nostalgic reasons. From your answer, it looks like it is fun and nice to have. Great!! But no practical advantages worth the extra effort and expense.

Nothing wrong with doing something because we can. There are hundreds of wildcats that someone came up with and thought were neat. Some eventually became commercial rounds but most died as they had no benefits. It is part of progress and to be admired/encouraged. Heck I am looking at a .30 Badger for giggles, but cannot justify the cost to build one.

IMHO there was a better choice to address his needs. "I wanted a full sized rifle without a bunch of recoil that was reload able. It is to be for my children to learn on and also for my father in law to shoot as he is a little recoil sensitive."

And it will become apparent when "Eventually I'd like to get 5 total to pass to all my children.".... unless they all reload.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Boolit Master

Discovered a gem of a cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Just curious....

Why?

There are many .38/.357 lever actions. Brass is cheaper. They can be loaded light or stout. They can be loaded in quantity without concern of buckling thin necks and with carbide dies.

What is the advantage of a 32/20 for cheap plinking, varmints and small game? Plus the .357 would be a better deer cartridge. John Boy, your rationale would be interesting

Thanks
    The 32cals have a certain appeal that really just has to be experienced. The 38/357 on paper is superior, but the 32s are great for applications that don't require magnum performance. The 32s also punch a smaller diameter hole in small game and generally seem to be more accurate.

I love my 357mag carbines. While 38s work in them for plinking they don't shoot as accurately (my personal experience). The 38s also have a radically different point of impact, fine for plinking but worthless for small game hunting.

Practically speaking you could easily cover your bases with a 22lr rifle and 357mag carbine, but the 32 fills a nice little niche right in the middle. To each their own.

One other point worth mentioning. The 32 is reloadable while the 22lr (at least in my area) is still unavailable.
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 09-08-2016 at 10:59 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    Nothing wrong with shooting an older cartridge. You can find an older S&W revolver in 32-20. It once was very popular. I heard that a lot of lawmen who used horses liked the 32-20 as you can carry more ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    You can find an older S&W revolver in 32-20.
    Cimarron also imports Uberti revolvers and rifles chambered in 32/20.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

I would love a Rossi in 32-20. Probably would feed better than my .38/.357. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    From a practical stand point, although more tedious to reload for, the 32/20 will use less lead than a 38 Special. For me, a .30 cal M-1 carbine fills that function. I would buy a nice replica 73 Saddle ring carbine if I ever find one, in 32/20.

Boolit Buddy
    We, the American Shooting community have access to just about every firearm ever conceived or made. Every week there are countless new and improved firearms introduced to the shooting public. Also, better ammunition and components to work with that its mind boggling. I guess my point is, if you want/need it, get it and enjoy it, share our sport and pass on your knowledge to future generations. Its all about what cocks "your" hammer !! pun intended !!

Boolit Grand Master

dverna,

I have lever actions in 38/357, but the 32-20 is just different, and I like different. Like the 45/90
    ans 45/70's I have, it is an old traditional black powder and now smokeless cartridge. It's fun and provides giggles. It can be used for small game
    with little damage and is just plain fun.

ADMIN

32-20 is a great round.
    Of the common cowboy rounds (38-40,44-40,32-20) is the only one I am keeping.
    I made that choice not because of brass or even boolits as I had PLENTY of each of those calibers.
    I made the choice because 32-20 is a round that I can't easily duplicate with a exisiting calibler (44 special/45 long colt/ 40SW)
    Basically I consider it to be a very flexible round and as a added bonus you can get it in almost every platform out there.

Single action - Blackhawks or importables (sold all mine)
    double action pistol - they make a 1905 series s&w pistol I have two (selling one)
    Single shot rifle (I have a ruger #? and a martini)
    Lever action - I have a couple brownings and a marlin
    I haven't seen any pump guns in 32-20 or bolt action but I haven't looked either.

I like the round.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    Remington M25 was made in 3220. A pump gun to lust for, took me a while to find mine! I shoot the 3220 due to the rifles it's chambered in. Shoot if I had to I could get by just fine with a 22LR, 308Win,12 ga, and a 357 Revolver!,,. but where would be the fun in that??? I hear all the "cushed necks " hard to load ect,, hear it a lot from people who never loaded one too! I've crushed as many 38 specials as I have 3220 cases, but then I may be more careful with cases I don't have stored in 5 gal buckets
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast