Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Lee Bulge Buster for 45 ACP

Hi, Guys -

Just an inquiry to see what the members' experiences may be:

Does anyone use a Lee Bulge Buster for processing 45 ACP cases? If so, what's the benefit in performance in doing so?

I already use the Lee Factory Crimp Die and was wondering if there was any additional benefit to using the bulge buster kit for 45 ACP.

Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    When using range pick up my case gauge failures went from about 2/1000 to 0/1000. I only use it once on new to me range pickup.

I have loaded 1/4 million 45 ACP rounds, and have never used the aforementioned Lee gizmo.

I do not shoot a glock 45 and have never found any range brass that could not be brought back to spec with a FL sizing die, even brass fired in a Thompson SMG.

In order to stay in business, a company needs new sales. They can do this by making their product 1) obsolete, 2) wear out/break and 3) created a need for an unneeded thing through marketing. Lee does 2 and 3 above.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I've been reloading 45 ACP since 1978. I never had to use a bulge buster. I'm currently reloading once fired cases from Glocks, and they resize fine through my RCBS carbide dies. Drop right into a case gauge fine.

Thanks, guys.

Actually, my 45s work quite well. I only reload them to a moderate load of 4.9 gr. of 700-X with 230 ball.

But, I do pick up a lot of brass at the range, and that stuff has an unknown history. I also use a Dillon case gauge for my 45s, and I've noticed that the vast majority of FL sized brasses fit flush and fall in and out just fine, but every now and then, a brass won't fit completely flush in the case gauge.

No telling where those brasses came from or where they've been, so that's the reason I was thinking about the bulge buster die for those particular cases.

Thanks, bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

I do have a Glock 21, but don't shoot it much any more. I never had a problem with resizing the brass in a regular Lee carbide sizing die. Love that Factory Crimp die!

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    The Lee Bulge Buster setup and CasePro roll sizer both return the web of the brass to their proper dimensions. To each their own.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master
    I use my Lee budge buster for 40S&W. I brought the 45acp version also but never found a need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    The Lee Bulge Buster setup and CasePro roll sizer both return the web of the brass to their proper dimensions. To each their own.
    Thanks, Bonz -

This little Lee Bulge Buster kit is cheap, so I may get one to try it out on those brasses that don't fit flush in the case gauge even after FL sizing. Not much loss if it doesn't pan out............

Thanks, Bayou52
    Last edited by Bayou52; 09-06-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Banned

I have heard the term case gauge here several times. I too am a .45 guy. 35 years now. And have never used a case gauge. Am I doing it wrong. I have used my barrel in the past if I felt a need. But never a case gauge.

I suppose the best case gauge would be your own barrel. I use the Dillon case gauge mostly because I simply keep it at hand with the reloading stuff..........
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Banned

So then more for the sake of convenience than anything else? I could see that. Maybe I'll get one and try it........old dog?

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    So then more for the sake of convenience than anything else? I could see that. Maybe I'll get one and try it........old dog?
    That's about it, nc. Very convenient to have the case gauge within reach on the bench. If you do want to try one out, the Dillon is made out of stainless. I had a Lyman once but it tended to form rust so it had to be stored in an oily rag. A bit messy at times..........
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

Range pickup 45 ACP is neither rare or expensive. In the fail rate mentioned, Why Bother?
    A case gauge is a wise investment if it only keeps you from one mistake. HS matters.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I use it for my 45, it is an extra step, but it makes sizing a lot easier when I load on my progressive. I still shoot my 45 for Steel Challenge so it's just one more insurance step to make sure I don't have any misfeeds when I'm competing. I need all of the help I can get!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy View Post
    When using range pick up my case gauge failures went from about 2/1000 to 0/1000. I only use it once on new to me range pickup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Range pickup 45 ACP is neither rare or expensive. In the fail rate mentioned, Why Bother?
    A case gauge is a wise investment if it only keeps you from one mistake. HS matters.
    Best answers but most were spot on. I have never reloaded a .45 ACP that wouldn't chamber in a barrel and very few that wouldn't pass a case gage. Those that failed the gage usually had lead shaved from the boolit base. IMO the best case gage is a real case gage and your barrel is an OK case gage. Real case gages are machined to SAAMI minimum chamber size specs; most barrels (MOST!) will be larger but some will be tight.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I use my Lee budge buster for 40S&W. I brought the 45acp version also but never found a need to use it.
    I also use the Lee BB for range pickup 40
    the 40 is a high pressure round, the 45 isn't.
    As I understand it, the 45 doesn't have the issue of the bulge from a partially unsupported chamber, due to the lower pressure...maybe I'm wrong???
    I load lots of 40 and 45 using range pickup brass, which I inspect, I've seen a occasional bulge on 40 range pickup, but never on a 45 range pickup.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I always BB the 40, but if I see the budge I will scrap it. I load 40 to minor power only and have blown a case once in my Glock barrel. Never a problem in my aftermarket barrels and they have over 10k rounds in them. I only pull a few hundred rounds in the Glock22 factory barrel, between this and leading issue I wont load my glock22 nor 35 will cast in factory barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I also use the Lee BB for range pickup
    the 40 is a high pressure round, the 45 isn't.
    As I understand it, the 45 doesn't have the issue of the bulge from a partially unsupported chamber, due to the lower pressure...maybe I'm wrong???
    I load lots of 40 and 45 using range pickup brass, which I inspect, I've seen a occasional bulge on 40 range pickup, but never on a 45 range pickup.
    Last edited by garym1a2; 09-10-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Boolit Bub
    In my opinion, the BB is a waste of money for .45acp. The history of bulged cases started with .40 in the early Glocks. They had a relatively large unsupported chamber in the area of the feed ramp, so the cases would bulge out a little from the high pressures of being fired. Glocks in .45acp never had that large of an unsupported area and the .45acp is much lower pressure than the .40 so I've never seen a bulged .45acp case like the .40's.

For what its worth, the early Glocks in .40 were known to have ruptured cases from reloaded brass that was over-stressed from the bulge. Glock has mostly gone away with unsupported chambers so bulge issues and ruptured cases are mainly a thing of the past. Its only still an issue if you have an early Glock and/or use brass from an early Glock.

There may be other makes and models in the .40 that bulge cases but Glock is the most common.

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    I have heard the term case gauge here several times. I too am a .45 guy. 35 years now. And have never used a case gauge. Am I doing it wrong. I have used my barrel in the past if I felt a need. But never a case gauge.
    No, you are not doing it wrong. I am 50+ years deep in reloading the 45 ACP in 1911 pistols and I don't own a case guage. I have loaded well over 1/4 million rounds of the stuff. If, I needed such a thing, I would have discovered it before now.

Reloading the 45 ACP for accuracy and reliability in a 1911 is a very simple process. If, your took all the stuff on this board seriously about the subject, you would think it is rocket science.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast