Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Facts, realities, economics of lead casting: break even with factory bullet costs

I cast to get the boolit I want, the alloy I want and the lube I want. The result is boolits that perform the way they were meant to with good accuracy and no bore leading. Boy, I'm a picky booger aren't I! Even if I had to buy lead at top dollar I would still cast my own.
    Last edited by Vulcan Bob; 09-20-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Making 500s&w instead of buying was a huge savings a box of hornadys were $75 for 20rd I made them for less then half that also I'm gonna be working on a 500sw mosin mag it's gonna have a green mountain barrel prolly 20" long on a mosin reciever the bolt doesn't need to be modified because the head of the 500 is slightly smaller then the 7.62x54r head the magizine box needs to be played with cause the 7.62 tapers into the bottle neck and the 500 gets hung up where it tapers down

I run about 8K rds a year IDPA. I could certainly do it with bayou bullets in every caliber I shoot. I cast to save a bit of money. My gear was long paid for, even my Magma pot. Much of the alloy I have I got free or waaay cheaper than $1/#. I will buy some here & there @ $1/# to keep the stock pile up. Free out here is almost impossible, or at least you have to work harder to get it like berm mining.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Fredj338,

Yes I buy lead for 17 Cents a Pound. Most recently they even offer me they will sort it for me. Sorting means they will sell me ONLY lead wheel weights so no zinc or iron or aluminum one is present anymore.

Lead is here in Southamerica plenty availlable and I stockpile it at an regular Basis. I have by now about 400 lbs I would guess stockpiled in WW.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123