WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Swaging for the .357 max

Post your location on your profile ..maybe somethin will come up..d

Boolit Mold
    Dang Dino. Thanks for pointing out that my location was not there; I had not noticed this. What swaging press are you using or would you recommend to a beginner? I have 2 Redding T7 turret presses and a Dillon Square Deal B so likely need a dedicated swaging press of some sort. Larry Blackmon has one that seems popular and others including BT have modifications to single stage presses. The Corbins have their own presses but availability is mixed it seems.This bullet swaging thought path is getting to be addicting.....

For smaller tasks, I just use a rcbs rockchucker. Plenty strong enough for my needs..i really like a reloading press when I need to "feel" the pressure for certain jobs. Finishing tips, btx die...I have never had to exert undue force on that press up to 45 cal. Does that with ease.. A solid ram with a threaded punch holder is a nice upgrade to press..makes press a bit tougher..Heavy drawing, deep hollow cavities, larger diameter bullets, or harder material..then a swage press is definitely in order. Or you can go full on, and get a hydraulic..d
    Last edited by uncle dino; 09-15-2016 at 09:48 PM.

We recently had a rock chucker press break from swaging 45 Cal bullets. Don't know all the details but I do know it was with 45 ACP. With that said you can do an awful lot with a rocker chucker press, just know it has limitations. The RCE press is very reasonably priced and will do everything you need it to do. From what I understand the stroke length is also more favorable for drawing then something like the Corbin Megamite 2 press. I own the Megamite 2 press and it does well for me with the exception drawing down long jackets for .338 cal bullets. I run out of stroke length, and while I think I can make some adjustments to the punch and die to get it to work, I am pretty much at the limit for the length of jacket I can make on that press. With either of the Corbin's you'll have to get in line and wait. They make good stuff, its worth the wait.

Using a reloading press to swage is exactly like driving up a steep hill in high gear. Just like not having enough engine revolutions per tire revolution, a reloading press moves the ram too much per unit length of press handle displacement. I strongly echo the sentiment to get something like the Walnut Hill, or at the very least, make the modification to a Lee Classic Cast to change the toggle link geometry. You won't have the accuracy of a real swage press but at least will gain some mechanical advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
    With that said you can do an awful lot with a rocker chucker press, just know it has limitations.

Vendor Sponsor

don't forget to mention that the bigger and heavier the bullet attempting to be made the more a stronger "swage press" is needed with the extra power, BUT!! don't forget to mention the opposite is also true, the smaller the bullet the less power is needed to make these bullets.

Yep the WH and previously the SG are great presses and an extremely great value for the quality. Yet if one wanted to make a lot of 22 cal bullets...... well I can go faster on the Lee Classic then I can on the bigger Sea Girt simply because of the long throw of the handle of both the SG and WH press.

Spot on with the gear reference, and also what an improvement it is to relocate the pin in the linkages of the Lee Classic press, double the leverage with half the travel of the ram. I also grind off the mechanical stops to allow the press to cam over and have found this to be a beneficial improvement as well, not necessarily for more powder but for more accuracy when performing something like core swage.

Yet the accuracy claim.... Yes to a degree as I can see more accuracy from my RCE hydrolic press but that doesn't mean the Lee can't achieve great accuracy to. I have read that with these same modifications to the Lee Classic, the owner and maker of the match winning benchrest BIB Bullets uses the Lee Classic for his bullets ranging from 22-30 cal.

The way I figure, for making pistol bullets of 40 cal and smaller or riffle cal bullets of 30 cal or smaller the Lee Classic works great, for the larger and heavier bullets and especially if one is drawing down brass for jackets the stronger swage presses are certainly a benefit.

One last advantage of the Lee.... If one wishes to purchase an additional press to set up more then one die at a time it certainly costs less.

Great posts!

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Those bullets look great! I've been using ssp at about the same speed as you in my sons rifle. Never gave much thought to swaging, but I think I should look into it a little more. Good luck tomorrow, the county our hunting spot is in doesn't have the early season this year.

Thanks moleman. We're ready for the mornin.. I've been resisting hot rodding that max a bit..it shoots so well, I'm gonna leave it be..with swaging it sure is nice to be able to make a bullet you can no longer buy. D

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again for all that have weighed in. BT, I have seen some of your posts regarding modifications to the Lee Classic and that may be the best way to go in the short term to learn if this swagin' thing is for me in the long run. The WH press looks good as well but I have taken in BT's advisories on other considerations. Tiger 762 we have few hills in North Florida but your analogy is well said.No one has given their opinion of Larry Blackmon's press which is also available. Dino, I don't want to jinx your hunt but if your daughter is successful this season with the Max using your bullets I would really like to see how they performed particularly in the lighter/medium velocities you mention.
    BT can you set me up with dies and a press?

Vendor Sponsor

Exit,

Yes. Send me a pm and I'll be happy to discuss what I have to offer.

Bt
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

I am intrigued at the idea of modifying the LCC's geometry. It seems stout enough to handle the higher stresses. The only thing I can think of that could be an issue is the ram's high and low points will change. Might require an extension for the punch to reach the die? I wouldn't be concerned with accuracy. There's enough wiggle room with the shell holder that the punch will enter the die and align itself fine. The bronze bushings of the WH are nice, but one can get by without it.

Boolit Buddy

Dino good luck to you and your daughter thjs morning in the woods in Mi. I hope to see a perform!nce report. I too am a big fan of .357MAX. I am getting ready to make the move into swaging. I have been conversing with Brian and basically commited to a setup last night I live near Fenton Mi. in the summer and Fl. in the winter after deer season is over. Again good luck and hope to see some pics. jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Master

exit
    I have three different swaging setups and dies. BT's complete die set for my .458 to utilize berdan prime and scrap .308/30-06 brass including the modified LCC. Good stuff and quality equipment. Blackmon's .308 dies for my long shooter as well as his RC conversion and his press, both are super, his press is really nice and compact as well as easy to use with a couple adjustments based on aaronrad' s thread. To me Blackmon's are the easiest to use. I also have a Swage-it for .357 semijacketed round nose plunkers. I had to buy a used RC to add to the stable to use the BTX as well as the Swage-it and a few other things a standard reloading press was necessary preform.
    Bill

Boolit Mold
    OK this is getting weird...I was at the Jacksonville Gun Show this morning and stopped by a large table of a reloading supply/dealer to buy some powder. Off to the side was a guy who was offering reloading classes. I don't need reloading instruction but we struck up a friendly conversation and he asked if I ever considered getting into bullet swaging. I told him that I had and was actively discussing this on this forum. Turns out he is Duke in Florida! When I told him that I was talking with BT, Uncle Dino and others we had quite a laugh of what are the chances...! BT, he had nothing but praise for your dies and showed me many examples/calibers of bullets made with your dies. Fine stuff! We talked for a while about using fired cases as jacket material and the accuracy he is getting from them. He has invited me down to his shop for a friendly tutorial so I am certain that I will be ordering from you. In another coincidence, I told him that I had just sent payment to Chuckbuster for one of his cannelure tools and of course he knew Chuckbuster and filled me in on his highly favorable experience with Kevin's tool. Small world....
    Just Bill, thanks your thoughts on Blackmon's press and experience.

Boolit Master

Sure wish I had a.357 max rifle. Can't find any Readi Rifle .357 to rebore.

Guys...thanks for the all the best wishes ..it paid off...my little assassin made a perfect shot on a little 4pt buck..slightly quartering away at approximately 110 yards..knocked him down. He got up and ran right back to us and dropped 50 yards from the stand..she is a happy camper Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	176861
    autopsy to follow ..but bullet entered behind left shoulder exited through right shoulder.. Big holes
    i like it..d. How do I get rid of upside down pics?..ugh!
    Last edited by runfiverun; 12-02-2016 at 01:33 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Congrats! Very cool, I know your smile was as big as hers. Heck I felt proud back in the day when my dad shot something with ammo I loaded (commercial bullets in the days before I made my own). Now to be able to reload an swage the projectile too! Priceless!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Buddy

Nice job. Congrats to both of you.
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Thanks jroc I'm about hour and a half north of you ..up here in sanilac co...

Congrats to both of you. My oldest daughter will be hunting with my son and I this year and hope to make it a memorable season.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast