Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .358 Hoosier

Boolit Buddy

.358 Hoosier

A friend of mine has a .358 Hoosier. Anyone familiar with these? What brass is reformed to make the brass for this?

Boolit Master
    shortened 358 Winchester or reformed 308 win. all it is is a shortened 358 Winchester down to 1.800

I have been forming 358 hoosier from 308 win, winchester headstamp. I have tried to form this brass from FC and R-P headstamp brass but the neck is too thick to use without reaming or turning. I would't try us military brass, body and necks are too thick. I have some 1x (I hope) 358 win brass headed my way, it should work a little better than 308 brass.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    Guess you could reform 308 brass with either 358 win does that have been shortened or find a set of the hoosier dies. Not sure about load data

Boolit Master
    this sounds like a specialized round that is best built around the brass you intend to use. I would spec the reamer after I got some dummies made up out of, in my case, the 6,000 308 LC cases I have stashed away.

Boolit Bub
    It's a cartridge they make to conform to the cartridge requirements for the deer season in Indiana.

https://in.gov/dnr/fishwild/7389.htm

under the equipment tab you can read about the requirements.
    Last edited by 1988-4551; 09-16-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Boolit Master

Wow, their rules are about the stupidest, most idiotice thing I've ever read.

If you are trying to reduce range of bullets, they sure don't accomplish their goal.

The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester) These are the only 2 bullet diameters that are legal under this law.
    A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field
    These new rifle cartridges may only be used on private land
    Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal
    These new rifle cartridges may be used during the youth deer season, deer firearms season, special antlerless firearm season (where open), and deer reduction season (in deer reduction zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm)
    All the cartridges that were legal in recent years are still legal on public and private land and meet the following requirements: cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches. No full metal-jacketed bullets are allowed.

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

6mm-06
    6mm BR Remington
    6mm PPC
    6mm Remington
    .240 Weatherby
    .243 Winchester
    .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    .30 Carbine
    .30 Herrett
    .30 Remington AR
    .30-06 Springfield
    .30-30 Winchester
    .30-40 Krag
    .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    .300 H&H Magnum
    .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    .300 Savage
    .300 Weatherby Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    .307 Winchester
    .308 Marlin
    .308 Winchester
    7.62x39mm
    7.62x54mmR
    There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .25-06 Remington, .270 Winchester, .303 British, .32 Winchester SL, 38-55 Winchester,.40 S&W, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.

Boolit Master

The rules in Indiana are in place but this year is the first year they are allowing standard calibers for deer hunting on private land. Its in a 4 year test phase with a limited number of high-power calibers like 308 Win or 30-06 so there is progress coming.

Regarding the 358 Hoosier cartridge. It works. I used 35 Rem loading data and built a very nice 358Win barreled Mauser when I first retired. The 358 Hoosier can be safely fired in the 358 Win chamber as the only shortened the neck to meet the max-length issue. The 358H shoulder stayed the same as the 358Win cartridge.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

I can agree that it's a step in the right direction for resident hunters, but to set up the requirement to be .243 or .308 caliber only with no muzzle energy or velocity requirements or limits is just strange. Did they just pull two calibers out of the air or out of a hat. I can see no logic in their choice of calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Wow, their rules are about the stupidest, most idiotice thing I've ever read.

If you are trying to reduce range of bullets, they sure don't accomplish their goal.

The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    The rifle cartridges must have a cartridge case length of least 1.16 inches
    The rifle cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is
    .243 inches (or 6 mm); or
    .308 inches (or 7.62 mm)
    No cartridges with a bullet diameter between .243 and .308 are legal (such as the .270 Winchester) These are the only 2 bullet diameters that are legal under this law.
    A hunter may not possess more than 10 such cartridges while in the field
    These new rifle cartridges may only be used on private land
    Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal
    These new rifle cartridges may be used during the youth deer season, deer firearms season, special antlerless firearm season (where open), and deer reduction season (in deer reduction zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm)
    All the cartridges that were legal in recent years are still legal on public and private land and meet the following requirements: cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches. No full metal-jacketed bullets are allowed.

Additional cartridges that are legal under HEA 1231 include, but are not limited to, the following:

6mm-06
    6mm BR Remington
    6mm PPC
    6mm Remington
    .240 Weatherby
    .243 Winchester
    .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    .30 Carbine
    .30 Herrett
    .30 Remington AR
    .30-06 Springfield
    .30-30 Winchester
    .30-40 Krag
    .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    .300 H&H Magnum
    .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    .300 Savage
    .300 Weatherby Magnum
    .300 Winchester Magnum
    .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    .307 Winchester
    .308 Marlin
    .308 Winchester
    7.62x39mm
    7.62x54mmR
    There are other cartridges that meet the law’s specifications, and there are others that do not. A partial list of cartridges that are not allowed under HEA 1231 includes the .25-06 Remington, .270 Winchester, .303 British, .32 Winchester SL, 38-55 Winchester,.40 S&W, .444 Marlin, and .45-70 Government.
    I call it goofy reg #1.8!

The regs won't let me use my .40 muzzleloader either.

So I'm upgrading to a .52.

Boolit Bub
    Not to add fuel to this fire but before they explicitly prohibited he 45-70 folks used to trim it from 2.105" to 1.8" to make what I imagine is a solid choice for white tails.

Bruce, do you remember how long the restrictions have been in place sir?

Boolit Master

the max 1.8" length has been in place since 2012. Before that it was 1.6" and the pistol cartridge deer hunting started in 2006 in Indiana.
    One reason why I rebuilt a 1868 trapdoor Springfield in 50-70...The case is already 1.75" in length and I can push out a 450gr .510 lead bullet at deer...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned
    Does anyone know why ? this reg was set up.

Even more loony than the NY deer slug law of my youth.

I'm in Ohio and we have some strange regulations for deer cartridges as well. We are allowed to use any caliber for game such as squirrels but not deer ?
    Yes it is legal to hunt squirrels with a 300 Weatherby magnum where you would be shooting up into trees and the bullet could go for miles but deer are usually on the ground and your limited to shorter range calibers here.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    A 45/70 Government cartridge shortened to 1.8'' is no longer a 45/70 Government cartridge and it qualifies under the old rules and can be used on public land. That is my opinion.

The 348 WIN head-stamp is still on the cases I reform into 10.4x42 Swiss. but that does not make it a 348 WIN. An Indiana conservation officer told me some years back that my reformed cartridge is legal for deer because it met all of the dimensional requirements.

Shorten the 45/70 by .305'' and it is no longer a 45/70 any more than a 358 Hoosier is a 358 WIN.

We will just have to deal with the laws as they exist regardless of how short-sighted they appear to be.

I have an Indiana comprehensive lifetime hunting and fishing license that covers all deer tags and bonus county antlerless deer tags. Unfortunately I also have osteoarthritis and psoriatic arthritis. I wish goofy laws were all I had to deal with.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

That's insane !

I guess the politicians figured they would make the laws so confusing no one could figure them out and thus stop all hunting....works !

If you can't figure out the rules, you can't play the game.

Boolit Grand Master

Well this beats the stupid shotgun only, slugs not buck, counties we have here. I'm on a county line so depending on which side of the hill I'm on I may not be able to use a rifle. The modern slug guns shoot them a lot further than the smooth bores did when they created the law. 22cal centerfire and up for deer when allowed. At least we got that part right

Boolit Buddy
    Indiana originally allowed a maximum case length of 1.625'' and minimum bullet diameter of .357 in rifles. Then some years later they lengthened the maximum case length to 1.8''. Pistols were different. Then I think this year they entertained the idea of allowing centerfire rifles of more typical deer calibers. They held public meetings to get hunters input. I believe it was a a Fish and Wildlife committee that nixed that plan. Then this new rule concerning approved rifle calibers was announced.

Goofy? Yes. But they seem to just slowly be marching foward. Suspect I'll b dead and they will still be slowing marching toward common sense.

Mike

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Spector View Post
    A 45/70 Government cartridge shortened to 1.8'' is no longer a 45/70 Government cartridge and it qualifies under the old rules and can be used on public land. That is my opinion.

The 348 WIN head-stamp is still on the cases I reform into 10.4x42 Swiss. but that does not make it a 348 WIN. An Indiana conservation officer told me some years back that my reformed cartridge is legal for deer because it met all of the dimensional requirements.

Shorten the 45/70 by .305'' and it is no longer a 45/70 any more than a 358 Hoosier is a 358 WIN.

We will just have to deal with the laws as they exist regardless of how short-sighted they appear to be.

I have an Indiana comprehensive lifetime hunting and fishing license that covers all deer tags and bonus county antlerless deer tags. Unfortunately I also have osteoarthritis and psoriatic arthritis. I wish goofy laws were all I had to deal with.

Mike

I like you're logic sir