Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 800x in 357 SIG

Boolit Master

800x in 357 SIG

Anyone out there using this combination?
    I've run some loads with a couple boolits, way under max, and find them to be very warm.
    This is using data from the Lee die set for bullets of the same or greater weight.
    7.5 grains with Accurate 35-147S (max listed as 9 gr. for 147 XTP)
    7.8 grains with NOE 357-135 (GC HP, bullet weight 125 gr.)

The NOE clocks at 1400. I would estimate the Accurate to be going over 1200, haven't chronoed it.

All loads are at or over 1.140" OAL. Feels like they beat the gun up some (M&P full size)
    Honestly, they feel a little much. Maybe that's just the nature of the round. They're plenty accurate.
    Please, no scolding. Just 357 SIG cast shooters or constructive comments.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 08-26-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If 800X metered better, it would probably be the most popular pistol powder for the non magnum cartridges. You can get hot loads, within safe pressures, using 800x. By far one of my favorite pistol powders.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about metering–I weigh every charge, though my Redding gets pretty close.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you measure your fired cases and inspected them for pressure signs? Something else to consider is the bullet. Was the lee loads for jacketed bullets, or cast bullets? You may have a longer bearing surface, more bullet body in the case, or something along those lines.

Or it could be as simple as 800X giving you excellent performance. I hope you get this all worked out as those loads sound like great loads.

Boolit Master
    I tried 800x with the 147gr XTP, and got that same 1400 or so FPS. I cant get a cast bullet to work in my gun, it just has a tight neck, and wont chamber anything where the neck is expanded to fit a cast bullet. Not a great loss, as 357 sig really is more of a hot thing, I want to shoot cast my old browning will chuck 147gr cast all day.

But unfortunately 800x does not like powder measures.

Boolit Master
    The M&P has a little teardrop recess around the firing pin, which makes for a unique mark on the primer after firing. THe primers show clear signs of pressure, but I think that's normal for this round. I did use CCI small pistol magnum primers, worth mentioning. They would heat the loads up a bit, I imagine, but I'm so far under max I wasn't worried. I think it's just a good, hot load, more than I'm used to. You can't believe what this thing does to a water bottle. I definitely prefer my old SIG 9mm for general blasting
    Last edited by Boolseye; 08-27-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Boolit Man
    FWIW, Maybe double check the taper crimp to make sure the boolits aren't moving inward when they hit the feed ramp, that would raise the pressure.. i know the XTP has a long enough shank , but not sure about the NOE. Boolit movement is an issue with the sig case because of the short neck. I have an M&p also, but have never detected a problem other than it is a bit snappy as opposed the the 9mm M&P..

Boolit Master
    Good suggestion. Yeah, snappy's the word. I cycle these rounds and push on the bullets against my bench, everything is cool.

Boolit Master
    In the same vein, I'm thinking about getting the Wolff guide rod and spring to absorb a little more of the energy of the round. They go up to 24 lbs. from the factory 16. I'm considering the 19 lb. for 357 SIG And 40 s&w. The factory 16 and is great for 9mm. Anyone try these things?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk