WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lee powder thru the die help

Lee powder thru the die help

I have a Pro 2000 RCBS press but use the Lee powder thru the die + Lee autodisc powder drop. The problem I'm having is I can't (or don't know how) to adjust the die so the mouth is belled enough that the bullet won't tip over when my press auto-indexes from my RCBS bullet feeder + Hornady bullet feeder die to the bullet seater die.

If I screw the PTtD die in deeper, I start getting creases in my cases. If I don't screw the PTtD die in deeper, the bullet won't go far enough into the case to not fall over (I'm loading plated bullets, not oversized lead ones).

Any suggestions/tips/tricks?

Slower stroke? I know I have to be careful setting the bullet even on a turret press. Even given that....I've never creased a case with the PTTD. I've belled the begeezes out of a few on accident, but never damaged one. Could you modify the radius on the powder thru die to bell deeper but not as wide??
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Do you have room for a separate expander die? You could use an M die, or an NOE expander in a Lee expander die. If you have access to a lathe you could also turn your own expander plug, or even knurl the one you have. Then turn it down to the diameter and profile you want.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...expander-plugs

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimkim; 09-01-2016 at 01:46 AM.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Your over thinking it, KISS keep it simple silly! The powder thru die has a floating expander in it, as the empty case comes up into the die it pushes the expander into the case AND the powder hopper up to dump the powder. The adjustment is there it's just very sensitive. If the case is not belled enough then the die needs to be screwed in slightly. If you have a spring operated measure it's easy, if it's a chain operated then loosen the measure and then adjust die and tighten measure and then repeat till you get it right. I get this adjusted without any primers or powder and just pull the case out of the station and pop it back in the next so I only use one case and it's easy to see whats happening.
    Hope this makes sense to you and helps!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Your over thinking it, KISS keep it simple silly! The powder thru die has a floating expander in it, as the empty case comes up into the die it pushes the expander into the case AND the powder hopper up to dump the powder. The adjustment is there it's just very sensitive. If the case is not belled enough then the die needs to be screwed in slightly. If you have a spring operated measure it's easy, if it's a chain operated then loosen the measure and then adjust die and tighten measure and then repeat till you get it right. I get this adjusted without any primers or powder and just pull the case out of the station and pop it back in the next so I only use one case and it's easy to see whats happening.
    +1

The Lee PTED can be a pain to adjust with a powder measure. I usually just go by the instructions that come with the die. You raise your ram, screw the die in until it touched the shell holder, then back out one full turn. According to Lee this is the basic setting and you can adjust in for more belling. As was said before, the problem is you have to use the expander to move the powder die enough to function. Starting out, I was adjusting to make the powder die function first and I was over-expanding the neck. Softer brass makes operating the powder measure a little more difficult.

Do you have the problem with different brands of brass?

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    Slower stroke? I know I have to be careful setting the bullet even on a turret press. Even given that....I've never creased a case with the PTTD. I've belled the begeezes out of a few on accident, but never damaged one. Could you modify the radius on the powder thru die to bell deeper but not as wide??
    Yes, if I replace the belling insert with a .38 S&W belling insert it'll go deeper. The problem there is that it leaves the case out of spec (i.e. the crimp die only crimps so far down). So, you risk getting F2Chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Do you have room for a separate expander die? You could use an M die, or an NOE expander in a Lee expander die. If you have access to a lathe you could also turn your own expander plug, or even knurl the one you have. Then turn it down to the diameter and profile you want.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...expander-plugs

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    I already have one of these expander plugs. It solves the problem I mentioned, but creates a new one - it leaves the case still expanded beyond the area that is crimped.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    Great explanation. I think my creased cases are due to my cases not being trimmed to length. So I adjust for an average length case, then run into a longer case.

Quote Originally Posted by bradley.moss72 View Post
    +1

The Lee PTED can be a pain to adjust with a powder measure. I usually just go by the instructions that come with the die. You raise your ram, screw the die in until it touched the shell holder, then back out one full turn. According to Lee this is the basic setting and you can adjust in for more belling. As was said before, the problem is you have to use the expander to move the powder die enough to function. Starting out, I was adjusting to make the powder die function first and I was over-expanding the neck. Softer brass makes operating the powder measure a little more difficult.

Do you have the problem with different brands of brass?

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I use range brass and the creasing only occurs on a subset of rounds. I assume it is because those cases are longer than the non-creased cases.

Boolit Master
    From your responses, I am assuming that you are loading 9mm, right? On my 9mm, I use the 38 S&W like you and it works just fine for cast. Are you using a separate taper crimp die to crimp with?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverboolit View Post
    From your responses, I am assuming that you are loading 9mm, right? On my 9mm, I use the 38 S&W like you and it works just fine for cast. Are you using a separate taper crimp die to crimp with?
    Correct assumption. No, can't use a separate taper crimp die due to the addition of a bullet feeder (i.e. the cause of this whole issue). I need one more station on my press

Boolit Master
    Is this the 5 station press?? How are your dies set up as in order of use?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverboolit View Post
    Is this the 5 station press?? How are your dies set up as in order of use?
    Yes, 5 station (RCBS Pro 2000).

Station 1 : Decap and size
    Station 2 : Powder thru the belling die
    Station 3 : Check die
    Station 4 : Bullet feeder die
    Station 5 : Seat/Crimp

Boolit Grand Master

Nix the check die and Look. I don't trust mechanical check dies. Adding a LED light is a better option.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Unless the powder check die is an RCBS Lock-Out, it isn't worth wasting a station.
    You should ALWAYS look in the case before putting a bullet on the case. You can arrange a mirror if need be.
    Note: RCBS Pro Chucker 7 Progressive Press

It is an RCBS lock-out.

I looked into the Pro Chucker 7 and could find very few reviews. The cheap plastic priming system one reviewer kept breaking turned me off (as did the price). I absolutely love the APS priming on my Pro 2000. So, I upgraded the handle, got the auto-index, and added a bullet feeder. I just need Lee to make a seater/crimp die that includes FCD functionality.

Boolit Bub
    I just logged on to see the replies to a post I wrote over a month ago with the same problem you are having but mine was for the hornady press. I was having the same problem you are. The powder thru expanding sleeve in the powder drop would bottom out before I could get enough flair to get the bullet to sit on the case in the bullet feed die. If I come up with an answer I will let you know.

Perma-Banned

I use a powder thru die on my progressive...but I don't put the bullet in the case until it gets under the seating die.

What feeder are you using?

I generally don't use the Lee PTX but did on the LM I played with, with a bullet feeder.

It worked.

You should probably sacrifice the 38sw expander. Chuck it in a drill and use 320-400 grit to take the diameter/length down to something that suits your need. Make sure to take enough, your plated bullets need to press into the case. Double check your loaded rounds for setback by pressing the bullet nose on the edge of your bench, you shouldn't be able to press it into the case.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.