Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Another WW II Navy vet...

Boolit Master

Another WW II Navy vet...

My dad died Sunday at the age of 89. He had been in a nursing home for a while and had been slowly declining for the last few months.
    He was a plank owner on the USS Chicago and, as he put it, was seasick the whole way from Philadelphia, where the ship was built, clear to Japan. He had never seen the ocean until he was on the ship. The Chicago was close enough to the USS Missouri in Tokyo bay, that he was able to watch the surrender through binoculars.
    He started teaching me to shoot as soon as I was big enough to hold a gun. He got me started to help reload for shotgun about the time I was in first grade. Those days were before plastic wads and wad stacks were a combination of cardboard, felt or cork wads. He would set me on the bench, make up whatever wad stack he needed, and then said build whatever number more stacks he needed, just like that one. That was enough to get me hooked. I have only shot factory ammunition, other than 22RF, a few times in my life.
    We had a lot of years hunting together, until he had to quit due to arthritis.
    He died a year and six days after my mom. They were married 67 years.

Boolit Master

My condolences in the loss of both your parents! My dad died 7/12/15 at 88 so our fathers were the same age and my dad too was a 'swabbie.'
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

quack1, I am so sorry for your loss .... but I know Heaven and your mom are rejoicing at having him! You described a wonderful relationship between father and son and it makes me reflect on my father, also a WWII naval man......I always tell people that your father is still there to help if you will listen....he is in your heart .... and follow your heart. Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a great Dad.

Our thoughts are with you and yours. Not too many WWII vets left. You seem to have many good times with your father, memories can't be eraesed.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Sympathy to you and all this family - They truly were the Greatest Generation.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Our condolences, we're sorry for your loss. But also sorry for America's loss; another member of this "greatest generation" who, in the face of adversity, simply stepped up to do their duty. No questions asked. Never considering their own sacrifice but acting unselfishly. I'm sorry I never knew your Dad but I hope that we may meet in Valhalla, and all due honors and respect be paid. Veneratio Fortis.
    Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    My dad died Sunday at the age of 89. He had been in a nursing home for a while and had been slowly declining for the last few months.
    He was a plank owner on the USS Chicago and, as he put it, was seasick the whole way from Philadelphia, where the ship was built, clear to Japan. He had never seen the ocean until he was on the ship. The Chicago was close enough to the USS Missouri in Tokyo bay, that he was able to watch the surrender through binoculars.
    He started teaching me to shoot as soon as I was big enough to hold a gun. He got me started to help reload for shotgun about the time I was in first grade. Those days were before plastic wads and wad stacks were a combination of cardboard, felt or cork wads. He would set me on the bench, make up whatever wad stack he needed, and then said build whatever number more stacks he needed, just like that one. That was enough to get me hooked. I have only shot factory ammunition, other than 22RF, a few times in my life.
    We had a lot of years hunting together, until he had to quit due to arthritis.
    He died a year and six days after my mom. They were married 67 years.

Perma-Banned

Prayer sent for your family.

Boolit Master
    Prayers sent.

Boolit Master

I am so sorry for your loss - My father was a Naval Aviator in WWII. I lost him in 1983. My prayers are with you and your family.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Sorry for the loss of your Dad, my friend. And your Mother not long before.Your Dad was the kind of guy that makes America great. It certainly sounds like they gave you many, many good memories to sustain you and yours until you meet again, prayers for your family, amigo.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce