RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star sizer question

Boolit Mold

Star sizer question

I'm curious if it is possible or even advisable to size my Flat Nose 9mm and 300 blackout bullets base down. The reason is I have it connected to my Mr Bullet Feeder. I haven't been able to find much about it in my research other than using a correct size punch to match the flat nose to help it go down the sizing die correctly.

Thanks for the help!

Prior to someone making the flat punch for nose first sizing, all Star sizers used top punches that matched the nose contour of the bullet and they were sized base first. Star didn't like the idea of nose first sizing, and vigorously resisted it.

In answer to your question, yes, it's entirely feasible to size your bullets base first, but you'll need a top punch that conforms to the nose profile of your bullets so they won't become deformed.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

upsidedown with a Star sizer

Yes, I size boolets up side down in my star`s, I have 7 of them ,It my take some tinkering with the holes in the die , (which one`s to put the lead shot into). And I use a bolt turned down just a little smaller than the die for a top punch. soon I am going to get a camera so I can post pictures, its worth a thousand words they say

Boolit Mold
    Awesome... Have a follow up question for ya... I originally purchased the star with a 9mm bullet feeder. After doing some measurements the long 230gr bullet (1.319) will not feed using the 9mm feeder (the feeding system is too short). Do they make a taller feeding system? Their website doesn't go into much detail about this.

Thanks

Boolit Master

upsidedown with a Star sizer

I do the boolet placement by hand, I don`t have a feeder, so I can`t help you with this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Doublej View Post
    Awesome... Have a follow up question for ya... I originally purchased the star with a 9mm bullet feeder. After doing some measurements the long 230gr bullet (1.319) will not feed using the 9mm feeder (the feeding system is too short). Do they make a taller feeding system? Their website doesn't go into much detail about this.

Thanks
    http://www.mrbulletfeeder.com/conversion-kits/
    Conversion kits are available allowing you to use your Mr.Bulletfeeder by Double-Alpha for more than just one caliber. Many reloaders have a second complete tool head for their 2nd caliber of choice, voiding the need to reset the dies.
    To make the transition easy, the Mr. Bulletfeeder conversion kits includes a complete dropper assembly, a custom powder funnel (for pistol calibers) and a new collator plate for the caliber of choice. This will allow you to switch your bullet feeder from one caliber to the next in a matter of minutes.

The spring output tube securely attaches to the top of the dropper by means of the Spring Adaptor Cap, which attaches and disconnects easily from the top of the dropper. The inner threading grips the coils of the spring firmly, preventing any chance of it coming loose during operation, and allowes a quick transition from one dropper to the next.

Please note: All pistol calibers use the same output tube, lead spring and spring adaptor cap. So this assembly is not included in the conversion kit –as you will not need a second one when changing pistol calibers.

The rifle calibers too share the same output assembly, and so when converting from 223 to 308, the same output assembly is used.

However – if you intend to buy a conversion kit to convert a rifle unit to a pistol caliber, you must purchase the output assembly required, in addition to the conversion kit.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...eeder-for-star

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...a-sizing-press
    Last edited by Artful; 08-31-2016 at 05:54 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned
    Your over thinking things here. The solution is so simple in my opinion. I use a piece of plastic plumbing tube with a cotter key in the end of it to catch the sized/lubed bullets when they come out of the sizer and when the tube is full I invert the tube and put it on my bullet dropper and pull the cotter key on the other end and the bullets fill the dropper tube thus no need to try to re-invent the wheel. To put it simply the bullets fill the tube you invert the tube and the bullets are now in the correct position to go into the mouth of the case. You don't have to touch the sized / lubed bullets to stack a bullet dropper tube and you can store them in the tube ready to use and you have no setups to do to change your sizer to a base first unit. The star sizes best going nose first and when combined with the feeder makes life more fun.

Boolit Mold
    I should have been more clear; I'm talking about the actual bullet feeder on the Star itself, not the Mr bullet feeder. The Star bullet feeder is too short for the long .308 sub round to slide into the sizing die. So does Magma make a larger "bullet feeder" or "pusher" if you will.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Banned
    I would call Magma and ask them if they can make something up

Without knowing the actual length of your bullet, it's hard to say. I've got the bullet feeders for .38, .44 and .45 size bullets, but they're all made for rather squat handgun bullets, not the longer rifle bullets.

I think you'll be better off just hand feeding those bullets into the sizer.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned

no.
    they are designed around the shorter pistol boolits.
    you can raise the adapter bar for taller stuff but something 1" long is about pushing the limits.
    a flat nose or round nose is also required for them to work properly.
    a spire point nose would tip and drag and just lead to failure.

I do all of my rifle stuff 'by hand' just dropping them in the size die and running them through.
    sometimes I pre-seat the gas check sometimes I just drop it in place
    and sometimes I push each boolit out of the die before pushing in the next one.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the help. I just got off the phone with magma and they said the bullet it too long with their case feeder. Guess I'll be doing it by hand Just giving anyone who is interested the heads up.

Banned
    If I had a mill I would be tempted to make one just to prove it can be done and it will work.

Boolit Mold
    Yeah it's only very close. Bullet is 1.35", feeder is ~1.20. I don't shoot nearly as many rifle rounds as pistol so it's no big deal.

Banned

you can run a pile of them through the star pretty quickly but just dropping them in and pushing the handle.
    it's 2 times faster than a lyman or whatever.
    and your sizing and lubing at the same time.
    sitting down and doing 500 in a few hours is still pretty good speed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    you can run a pile of them through the star pretty quickly but just dropping them in and pushing the handle.it's 2 times faster than a lyman or whatever.and your sizing and lubing at the same time.sitting down and doing 500 in a few hours is still pretty good speed.
    Or you can modify an existing feeder and make a new feed bar.

Banned

you'd have to modify the block and the feed bar and just mill/file out an existing tube.
    you'll also need to pay attention to the tip dragging on the base to keep it from tipping the boolit on top of the one being fed to the sizer.

The smallest feed tube Magma makes is for .38/9mm size bullets. If you put a stack of .30 caliber bullets in the .38/9mm feed tube, there would be a problem with them tipping too much and probably binding up. A special tube would have to be made to solve that problem. It would be like trying to feed .38 bullets through the .45 feed tubes. The bullets won't feed correctly and makes the operator invent new expletives......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Banned
    Lets try this again...... one would basically start from scratch to bulid a bullet feeder for rifle bullets. Its an easy project to do and it can be done. Probably not for everyone however and I don't see why Magma hasn't done it. It would require a taller feed bar and that thicker feed bar would give the needed stability to keep the bullet from tipping to far. I'm not going to get into all the dims but for anyone familiar with any type of machine work or having mechanical experience its a snap.

Anyone with a milling machine and a basic knowledge of mechanics could make one, but the Star is so easy to feed by hand with longer bullets, it would just be a matter of making one to prove it could be done, rather than convenience. I've got 7 Star sizers, 3 are set up with bullet feeders and 4 are without. They're set up with different lubes and 3 are dedicated to size bullets that I use the most of.

I'll be sizing and lubing .45-70 bullets today on one of them, but it will be one without a bullet feeder. The bigger bullets are easy to pick up and feed into the machine, so they go pretty fast.

The other day, I had 3,000+ .38 bullets to size and lube, but I didn't feel like putting them into feed tubes, so I used one my machines set up for .358" bullets, and fed them by hand. I think the time spent was pretty much a wash when compared to the time it takes to fill the tubes by hand. Of course, the actual sizing operation goes much faster when using the bullet feeder, but the overall time is roughly the same.

I guess what I'm saying is it depends on the individual, and his/her needs, on which they choose to use. I sometimes don't mind filling the tubes with 52 bullets each while watching TV, but other times I'd just rather sit at my bench and work on sizing and lubing. The human mind is a funny thing, isn't it?

Hope this helps.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast