Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Redding 3BR

Redding 3BR

Bought a Redding 3br powder measure. Now, with this purchase, I have a 3br and a 10X. I always hated a powder measure. I owned a RCBS, 2 Hornadys and a Lee. A Hornady on a progressive Lock & Load. Never has the accuracy I wanted. After buying the 10X for pistol I was sold.
    Don't know if I have enough brass now ?

Boolit Master
    Good choice.

I have used a 3BR with the rifle chamber for many years. Still use it for bulky pistol powders like Unique and Trailboss.

It sounds like you really like that 10x too.

Boolit Master
    I am curious as to what makes the Redding any better the any other rotary drum style pm?
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Accuracy

Boolit Master
    What makes it more accurate? A rotary drum is a rotary drum.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Beats me ! Buy one and see for yourself. If not sell it ? Ever heard of a Chevy and a Ferrari ? Thought so. The same I guess ?

Boolit Master
    Redding has a reputation like Ferrari.Ya, that's it, must be because Redding makes it.

Boolit Master
    Did you ever hear that the Ford GT40 beat Ferrari 4 years in a row at LeMans?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbender View Post
    Beats me ! Buy one and see for yourself. If not sell it ? Ever heard of a Chevy and a Ferrari ? Thought so. The same I guess ?
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I had this same struggle when looking at drum style measures.

Boolit Master
    Look at the Redding measure descriptions on Midway. The pistol and small rifle target versions have smaller measuring chambers which supposedly increase accuracy--thus they are dedicated to smaller caliber cases and thus lack the bigger chambers found in a universal size measure. Close tolerances might be a help too.

Boolit Master
    Smaller capacities may equal smaller variations.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Fit finish and tighter tolerences, along with the smaller measuring cavities diameters, and the measuring chambers plug shape all contribute to consistency of operation and how the chamber fills. Some of the readings also have chromed drums making for a smoother operation again improving consistancy. The layer of chrome also makes for a harder more durable cut edge on the lip of the drum. The Harrels measure is a rotary drum measure and probably one of the best most accurate measures available. Its a desighn of the old culiver conversion on the lyman 55 measure. Bearings, tight tolerences, and the angles powder enters and drops from the drum, along with the unique baffle system make for a very accurate measure in the Harrels. Look at the housings ( main body) from the side somes hoppers are on the back edge meaning the powder enters at an angle into the measuring chamber not a straight down fill of the measuring chamber. Some are on center line of the housing and fill on a straighter line. Same with drop angles from measuring cavity to drop tube. WHile not as important to actual accuracy this does affect bridging with some powders. The Drum on a rotary measure seldom makes a 180* sweep for true straight up and down fills and drops. The biggest contributor to accuracy is consistant operation of the measure though. Operate it the same every time ( same speed, force, bumps, and maintain powder level in hopper at the right level) helps a powder measure throw consistant charges. Straighter fills of the cavity with smaller cavities and entry holes from the hopper ( the Harrels baffle hole is actually smaller than the measuring chamber is). This smaller entry hole in the housing allows powder to fill the cavity from the center out. aiding consistancy. Reddings measures use alot of these things to one extent or another.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Redding and an RCBS. The Redding is hands down more accurate especially with powders like unique. I don't know why it's more accurate but know that its is.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Did you ever hear that the Ford GT40 beat Ferrari 4 years in a row at LeMans?
    Yeah but the Ford had a 7 Litre engine against a 4.4 litre Ferrari and two Kiwi's behind the wheel

Boolit Buddy
    Only the first year did the Ford have a 7 litre, after that Ferrari got the organizers to outlaw the 7 litre and Ford changed to it's small block 302 (5 liter), and Ford beat Ferrari again as a Factory team with a 2 valve OHV engine versus the Ferrari 4 valve DOHC engine, then independents beat Ferrari 2 more times with 302 powered GT40's.

On This Week In Racing History; I am down to my Redding 35yr old measure and very happy. The others have been sold or given away. It just works better. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    I've had various measures from a few makers (Herter's, Harrell, Lee, RCBS, and Redding) over the last several decades. The only ones I've kept have been four Reddings: a #3, two Match Grade 3BRs, and a BR-30. The newest is at least twenty-five years old. As I recall, it seems the RCBS measures were about as accurate as the Reddings. However, they lacked micrometer adjustments (at least at that time) and the crude settings, if changed, were not very repeatable.

Boolit Man
    I fiend that you have to learn how to throw,and they all throw.
    with in .0001

Boolit Master
    Anybody use a CH No 502 measure? I hear that they are excellent.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    Anybody use a CH No 502 measure? I hear that they are excellent.
    I read a test/comparison on the LASC site of powder measures. I then bought a C-H 502. I's a very good measure and replaced my other measure(

Kinda sloppy, but this is the comparison;
    SD - CH4D / Redding / Harrell / B&M / RCBS / Lee / Hornady / Lyman 55

AA #9 - 0.000 - 0.000 - 0.000 - 0.000 - 0.032 - 0.000 - 0.043 - 0.037
    I 4227 - 0.025 - 0.032 - 0.038 - 0.102 - 0.000 - 0.051 - 0.031 - 0.061
    Unique - 0.145 - 0.127 - 0.150 - 0.100 - 0.129 - 0.142 - 0.139 - 0.185
    I 4198 - 0.138 - 0.177 - 0.103 - 0.125 - 0.169 - 0.141 - 0.170 - 0.114
    SR4759 - 0.128 - 0.099 - 0.151 - 0.127 - 0.146 - 0.157 - 0.135 - 0.205

Average - 0.087 - 0.087 - 0.088 - 0.091 - 0.095 - 0.098 - 0.104 - 0.120
    s) on the bench...
    Last edited by mdi; 09-11-2016 at 05:37 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!