MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: T/C Encore Carbine .223

T/C Encore Carbine .223

I bought the above rifle at an auction this weekend for $180. It was purely an impulse buy, no one was bidding and I couldn't not buy it at that price! Anyway, it's a little rough around the edges, some surface rust on the steel and scratches in the wood. Has a Bushnell scope, not sure of the specifics yet. I really didn't look it over well before buying, and I haven't picked it up from the FFL yet. This is my first foray into the Encore. I had a Contender for a short time and really didn't care for the big, heavy, scoped, single shot pistol idea after shooting it some. Right now my thought is to clean it up and shoot it as is. Anything I should know? I'm well stocked with .223 already, so the caliber makes sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well you paid less for the gun than I did for a barrel this week, so congratulations!

Yeah, that's really the only reason I bought it...I have 2 rifles in .223 already, don't really need another. But when has it ever been about "needing" another rifle

I have the encore platform for the second time. The first was with the .50+209 barrel and the 223 barrel. That rifle would shoot lights out at anything I pointed it at. Very fun shooter and a treat to handle. Can get other stocks and barrels as well as sights and scope mounts.

The action is very simple and stock and barrels are a snap to exchange and switch around.

You got a smokin deal on a great platform. Enjoy and know that you can always return your money investment. These have an appeal that is always sought after so I would doubt you will ever be stung with a bad investment.

Once I got the rifle home I realized how bad it had actually been treated. Stocks were loose and dinged up. Lots of surface rust and crud in all the tight spaces. I took it completely apart and thoroughly cleaned everything. There is lots of bluing loss on the barrel, but other than that it locks up tight and seems to shoot well. The barrel is 24", I'm thinking pretty seriously about having it cut to 16" and threaded....

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Its still worth more than you paid for it,,,,,,,.

A little cold blue maybe? I don't think I would cut the barrel off if your going to shoot cast in it, but it is yours, but personally I wouldn't go that short.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I am a fan of short rifles myself. Depends on the use you have in mind tho.

Again ... Great find

I am a fan of short rifles myself. Depends on the use you have in mind tho.

Again ... Great find

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by three50seven View Post
    Once I got the rifle home I realized how bad it had actually been treated. Stocks were loose and dinged up. Lots of surface rust and crud in all the tight spaces. I took it completely apart and thoroughly cleaned everything. There is lots of bluing loss on the barrel, but other than that it locks up tight and seems to shoot well. The barrel is 24", I'm thinking pretty seriously about having it cut to 16" and threaded....

Can you go to 16" without being shorter than 26" OAL? Might do to go to 18.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel.mac View Post
    Can you go to 16" without being shorter than 26" OAL? Might do to go to 18.
    Yes, butt of the stock to rear of the breach where barrel contacts it is 15", giving me 31" OAL. Good thing, since it's being cut down now

Pictures will do nicely with the shortened barrel

I have a couple projects myself that are similar to yours

Another thing to look at is that the barrel length will not be completely counted as length because of the portion of the frame that is in front of the barrel breech. Hence if you figure on the 16 inch barrel being added for weapon overal lenght will wind up being shorter by the length of that frame portion that sticks ahead of the breech end

So if that frame section extends 3 inch beyond the breech ... Then you will need to subtract the 3 inch from the barrel length. The overall length will be 3 inch shorter then just the addition of the barrel length.

Hope that is clearer then mud ��
    Last edited by bigted; 09-21-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Boolit Master
    I believe the minimum legal barrel length for a rifle is 16". that's just the barrel from muzzle to breech, not including the frame. I have a T/C Super 16 barrel in 223Rem and the length of the barrel measure 16 1/4 in which I believe will make it a legal rifle barrel and pistol barrel. I have not shot it enough to work any loads for in, but intend to as I understand 223 can be loaded at a cost less than the purchase of 22lr right now
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Yes, 16" from breech to muzzle is the legal minimum. The barrel on my rifle now measures 16.5" plus the length of the birdcage flash hider. It's all put together now, and received a "custom" paint job yesterday to cover up the ratty looking finish left by the previous owner. I will try to post some pics this evening.

Boolit Grand Master

The fit of the hinge pin is critical to good accuracy with the Encore and Contender. Mike Bellm sells oversized pins if needed. Also the gap, which there should be a little, should be included in setting the sized length of the case. Very easy to create an excess headspace issue with these. Go to Bellm's website for tons of good info on making these shoot.

lots to be said for a "rimmed" cartridge in these spiffy little single shots.

Here's a quick pic of the finished product. Hope to be able to shoot it tomorrow. Should make for a handy little carbine.

AWESOME!!! That looks like a hoot. Coming along nicely. Can't wait for the range report.

Boolit Master
    Most of the T/C 22 centerfire barrels over several decades have a 1/12 twist which should be pretty friendly to cast boolits. Both my Hornet T/C carbine and my .222 Contender really like cast but only at reduced velocity. I recently bought a T/C Venture in .223 with a 1/12 twist and is an awesome shooter even with reduced loads with jacketed but doesn't shoot cast worth a darn above 2000 fps. Yesterday the Venture shot .65 group at 100 with 52 gr JHP boolits at 2400 fps (estimated) and a 1.75 group with the 53 gr old style Lee bator RFGC boolit at 1800 fps using 5 gr of Bullseye. From this group with the JHP and my experiences with my old TCR in .222 (also 1/12 twist) I am of the opinion the T/C 22 centerfires seem to prefer projectiles just under 55 gr.