Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 reasons to be careful

Banned

I took the reverse switch loose from my old Yard machine, hated to stop blades to back up. But get off the seat and it will quit. My zero turn does not quit in any direction but just lean from the seat to pick a stick up and it will quit. To get off and keep the engine running means popping the drive lever down and stopping blades.
    Machines don't care. Saws don't care. It is up to you.

In Remembrance

A friend of mine was unplugging a full discharge chute on his snowblower 3 years ago. Luckily he was wearing a very heavy leather mitten. When he dug down to the thrower paddles he was struck on his left hand fingers since he left the machine running to save time. He only lost his index fingertip the feeling is very slowly returning in the other 3 fingers struck. He hasn`t used that snowblower since the accident.Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    Ouch man just shows ya you have to be on your game
    at all times
    sorry that happened to you hope you healing goes well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    I bet you will know about this for years, this is from someone who lost a finger tip in a punch press, and had 2 fingers sewed back on after getting them ripped out of my hand.

I learned a very good saying after these two accidents?????

Whenever you say to yourself "If I'm real careful I can doooooo this." STOP right there and put your mind into 1st gear.
    I know exactly what you mean. I typically stop everything if something seems unsafe. I have shut down job sites until safety was at acceptable levels. I guess we are all human. Good reason to stay humble.

For many years I've restored and run and displayed antique farm engines with the big flywheels, open gears, no safety features, etc. I'm older now...I don't mess with things that I can't "get away from" any more...Got a number of friends that always say "I didn't this or I didn't that"...I remind them to add the word "Yet" to the sentence...there is always next time and I'm old enough and sight, etc is marginal so I've changed many of my hobbies to things that probably won't bite as hard///"yet".

Boolit Buddy
    Was working on my vehicle a few years back and was using a grinder to cut out some bushings on the rear suspension. I had ear plugs, welding gloves and a good face shield on...all the PPE I needed. The wheel caught, kicked back, and kit the tip of my finger. Cut through my gloves...I thought I was in for a filleted finger, but lucked out.

You can see the notch in my nail and how close it came to being a bad accident.

Sometimes, even the right gear and forethought can still be outmaneuvered by power tools.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie View Post
    Was working on my vehicle a few years back and was using a grinder to cut out some bushings on the rear suspension. I had ear plugs, welding gloves and a good face shield on...all the PPE I needed. The wheel caught, kicked back, and kit the tip of my finger. Cut through my gloves...I thought I was in for a filleted finger, but lucked out.

You can see the notch in my nail and how close it came to being a bad accident.

Sometimes, even the right gear and forethought can still be outmaneuvered by power tools.
    Grinders are pretty dangerous even when using properly. A cutting disc that comes apart at high speed sends shrapnel everywhere. Face arms and neck are hard to keep covered well enough to completely protect from the fragments. Some jobs are just plain dangerous.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I give this thread one and a half thumbs up,,,,,,,,

Attachment 175477

The ONE time I violated safety with a table saw.

Steve, you got off easy.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I give this thread one and a half thumbs up,,,,,,,,

Attachment 175477

The ONE time I violated safety with a table saw.
    Well, I see what your problem was... Pretty obvious... You're a *Mason*, not a *Carpenter*...

There have been way too many woodworkers with similar injuries.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Knock on wood I've missed all the saws and mowers to date . I've been pretty fortunate with the nail guns too.

I ruined a good pair of pants with a chainsaw . I cut the wrong limb another popped and the saw went for my knee , the chain brake worked, it only took 14 stitches to close it up .

I load shipping conveyances and too often to close to fork lifts on too small spaces . Twice in 22 yr I've had a fork on my toes and twice good boots have saved my foot .

It is not just ourselves we have to watch out for , I have done enough things that half way through I was ya know this looked good on paper but umm no , you have to look out for that other guy whether they are 6" away or 6yr away because it's more likely that the last guy will hurt you than yourself . Look at all the bypassed switches here and all the lost balls through windows that are found with mowers .

It good to see a guy own up to that moment of lapse and be willing to remind us all to pay attention .

Good healing .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Harter66;3761798]Knock on wood I've missed all the saws and mowers to date . I've been pretty fortunate with the nail guns too.

I ruined a good pair of pants with a chainsaw . I cut the wrong limb another popped and the saw went for my knee , the chain brake worked, it only took 14 stitches to close it up .

I load shipping conveyances and too often to close to fork lifts on too small spaces . Twice in 22 yr I've had a fork on my toes and twice good boots have saved my foot .

It is not just ourselves we have to watch out for , I have done enough things that half way through I was ya know this looked good on paper but umm no , you have to look out for that other guy whether they are 6" away or 6yr away because it's more likely that the last guy will hurt you than yourself . Look at all the bypassed switches here and all the lost balls through windows that are found with mowers .

It good to see a guy own up to that moment of lapse and be willing to remind us all to pay attention .
    A year or so out of High school I was working for a commercial construction company. On one particular afternoon I was building some small trusses with a nailer that started acting up. It would often fire an extra nail after the safety was released. I realized it was unsafe and asked the boss if there was another nailer to use, he told me to finish out the last half hour of the day with what I had and drop it off for repair on my way home. Well I didn't make it a half hour, within a few minutes, I shot my index finger to my middle finger with a 16 penny nail. That was the moment that taught me to trust my gut and work on anything that seemed unsafe.

Boolit Master

Sorry about your accident I had one to recently the NG at work smashed my finger tip with a 3lb hammer.

Almost over it after two weeks but still tingles when I whack it on something.

BTW those photos are cringe worthy. Bet you made fast time to the ER.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    A know a few old time woodworkers who have lost finger tips from table saws because of no blade guard and not using a push stick.

I don't use a blade guard either and I'm not as diligent at using a push stick as I should be, but *so far*, I still have all my fingers.
    Im uhm...guilty of removing the blade guards. This is making me rethink some of my safety precautions though. Hope the OP feels better as much as possible....wicked injury.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Steve77 sorry for your suffering.

I worked many years in industrial production maintenance, during that time we would have weekly safety meeting and yearly safety testing so it was pounded into us. Lifting, Fall protection, LOTO, HazMat, Safety Evacuation. Some of the systems we worked with was ammonia refrigeration and steam generators. With all that training 3 years before I left the company suffered a catastrophic fire and we lost 70% of the facility. Thankfully all that training paid off in that no one was injured and everyone got out. If interested look up Echo Lake Foods fire.

My worst accident occurred there while we were trying to repair a wall in a production freezer that has ice damage. We were trying to push a wall back into place with a 20ton porta-power jack. The jack and the push bar gave way under pressure. I was working the jack at the time. When it let loose it came around and hit me in the face sending me right to the floor. When I picked myself up to my knees I had blood pouring from both sides of my nose and was having trouble seeing. They rushed me to the ER and thankfully no broken bones and only a slight concussion. To this day I still have a red mark on the end of my nose where I was hit and that has been almost 5 years ago.

Good luck and heal quickly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Im uhm...guilty of removing the blade guards. This is making me rethink some of my safety precautions though.
    When I bought my "vintage" cast iron Craftsman table saw, it came with a blade guard in the box of extra parts, but I never bothered to install it. It just gets in the way for a lot of things that you need to do. I try to be extra careful and not get my hands near the blade. So far, I've succeeded and still have all my fingers.

Showed the pics to my 6yo daughter. She liked them but the one that still had the parts hanging of she said was gross. She kept looking at it tho. She called her brother over to look at them but fell for that too many times already. I am hoping she becomes a doctor.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Buddy
    Steve77 sorry for your injury. At the same time your humility in reporting this will serve as a warning to us (me) not to ignore "stupid" safety equipment.

My lawn mower almost got me once. Grass was wet and clogging up in the chute. Reached in bare handed to clear it. The blade just "kissed" my fingers, never broke the skin. I've carried a stick in my back pocket thereafter....charlie

Boolit Master
    Steve77, thanks for jogging our consciousness of safety around moving/rotating machinery.

I'm a career engineer/machinist. Can't tell you how many times I've pulled a stuck part out of the collet in the spindle nose on a lathe, only to have it suddenly release and I stab my hand on a drill sticking out of the tailstock chuck. Every machinist knows that you remove the drill from the tailstock chuck before pulling a part stuck in the collet in the lathe. You know you're doing wrong, but tell yourself, "OH, the tailstock is backed off far enough. I can get away with this." Famous last words.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Man I can feel your pain. I had a pair of electrical rubber gloves on and got my fingers caught in a peice of power equipment. Tore my little finger off at one of the joints. They sewed it back on but it is stiff at that joint. Glad you didn't lose any whole fingers, cuts sometimes wake us up to not do that again. We all do dumb things in the spur of the moment, most brain farts don't hurt but some do also. Lesson learned now move on and thanks for the wake up call.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the comments! I ran my brushhog today. I'll be honest, I had a hard time being anywhere near the PTO and the deck even when they weren't turning. I bumped and bashed my fingers on the steering wheel way to many times. They are pretty tender tonight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast