Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 reasons to be careful

Boolit Buddy

3 reasons to be careful

I read posts here constantly but rarely post. Most folks here make my experience seem rather humble. I enjoy the advice around here from the well seasoned. This time I have some advice founded in a hard lesson learned.

I injured a few fingers pretty badly about a week ago. I consider myself a very safety conscious person. I worked many years in the construction trades and never had any serious injuries. I even worked 4 years building log homes and running a chainsaw sometimes while balancing 40 feet in the air on icy logs. Some of the jobs I've done are inherently dangerous, but I have always done them with safety in mind. I have had a few close calls and witnessed some others over the years, but they have caused me to be more cautious and watchful.

Last week, I bought a cheap used lawn tractor to fix up for a friend. The deck was in bad shape, so I found some parts and repaired it over several over several days as the parts came in. I had noticed that the safety switch for the mower deck engagement had been disabled by some previous owner. That was during one of the first days I worked on it. I planned on fixing it later, before using the mower. Big mistake! I work on lots of projects at one time and sometimes the details slip my mind. I should have fixed it immediately. Once I had everything assembled, I test drove it and noticed the tiresrubbing on the mower deck while turning. I left the mower running, got off the seat and grabbed the deck to see if it was loose! That spit second of complacency cost me 3 fingertips. I know some will think it will never happen to them and that I was just careless, I understand. Many of my friends were shocked that this happened to someone as cautious as I USUALLY am.

I'm doing well, I really haven't missed a beat with the exception of doing most things very slowly while trying to adjust to having 3 fingers heavily bandaged. Obviously I can't do everything I'd like right now, but once things are healed up I will hardly notice.

I will post a couple pictures showing the fingers after medical treatment. Also I'll post links to the aftermath before they tried to patch them up. My fingernails are white from spray painting a welding project. I wish I had cleaned them up with some paint thinner before the accident, now I'm stuck with it until it wears off. And it ain't wearing off fast enough under the bandages. Kinda like when mom said to put on clean underwear in case you were in an accident, and someone seen your dirty skivvies.

Take care to make things safe as soon as possible while doing the things you love. I was lucky, I am right handed and injured the left, and I missed the index and thumb. It could have been far, far worse. Thank God, it was nothing more serious. I don't take it lightly but I have a sense of humor about it. My friends and I have laughed about every joke and pun about stubby fingers that we could come up with!

Without further ado, some obligatory photos!

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a weak stomach or are eating lunch, don't click these links, they are somewhat gruesome. These are from before surgery.
    http://s1310.photobucket.com/user/an...w/Sale/fingers

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the reminder safety first!!!!!!!!!! Hope they heal OK.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Thanks for the reminder safety first!!!!!!!!!! Hope they heal OK.
    That is my biggest concern. I want them to heal up with no further amputations. Right now they are almost full length, but an infection could lead to cutting them shorter if not taken care of quickly. The trouble is that it is hard to keep them clean and washed without living in a bubble.

Boolit Master

Sometimes I have to learn things from the school of hard knocks. This time I have made a mental note to myself to learn this one from someone else. I sure don't want to go there! So sorry about your mishap. I know it was bad but I will be positive like my wife, and say it could have been worse. I pray you will heal up quickly.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    Sometimes I have to learn things from the school of hard knocks. This time I have made a mental note to myself to learn this one from someone else. I sure don't want to go there! So sorry about your mishap. I know it was bad but I will be positive like my wife, and say it could have been worse. I pray you will heal up quickly.
    Thanks! I am really surprised at how little it hurts(as long as I don't bump it). It really hasn't been that bad, I would have expected it to be more traumatic mentally, but I never got stressed or upset about it. Just a bit disappointed in myself for doing something stupid.

Banned

I don't think that is gonna buff out.

your gonna feel those for a long, long time.

In Remembrance
    I feel for you, and they will be tender for a long time, especially in cold weather.

On the bright side, this would probably win the prize if you posted in the (what not to run over with your lawn mower thread).

Boolit Buddy
    Best of luck with the recovery part. I have done a couple of stupid things....learned some valuable lessons about wear work boots when tearing down a fence, nail in foot. The worst was I had boots on all morning and after lunch loading up the boards just slipped on runners, all the unsafe stuff was done....missed a nail and only one nail....right through the shoe and into the foot. One Tetanus shot later.....and limp for a week. Another was casting. I set the ingots on a hot plate to pre warm them so the pot doesn't loose heat. I was all done casting everything all cleaned up when I spotted the last couple of ingots on the NOW unplugged hot plate....just so everyone is aware lead holds heat for quite a while....a blister on thumb and finger. And. Yes. I felt really, really stupid when I did it. Not as sever as loosing finger tips, but a wake up call.

Boolit Master

A know a few old time woodworkers who have lost finger tips from table saws because of no blade guard and not using a push stick.

I don't use a blade guard either and I'm not as diligent at using a push stick as I should be, but *so far*, I still have all my fingers.

Boolit Master

https://www.google.com/search?source...oWaWWr4mL5M%3A

That ring and pinky finger are going to be tender for a few years bumping stuff. It'll be magnified in cold weather. Keep them clean and get those aluminum finger splints and tape them on at the base of the finger so the cage extends out past the end to protect them from direct bumbs.

The guard I'm talking about looks something like this cut long so there is a 3/8"-1/2" gap from the tip of the finger to the end of the guard.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post

That ring and pinky finger are going to be tender for a few years bumping stuff. It'll be magnified in cold weather. Keep them clean and get those aluminum finger splints and tape them on at the base of the finger so the cage extends out past the end to protect them from direct bumbs.

The guard I'm talking about looks something like this cut long so there is a 3/8"-1/2" gap from the tip of the finger to the end of the guard.
    I have custom molded plastic ones from the hand surgeon that I wear almost constantly. I took them off while driving on a long road trip this weekend and whacked them on the gear shift lever while turning. Needless to say, it woke me right up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    A know a few old time woodworkers who have lost finger tips from table saws because of no blade guard and not using a push stick.

I don't use a blade guard either and I'm not as diligent at using a push stick as I should be, but *so far*, I still have all my fingers.
    I honestly have never used a table saw with guards. But I do use push sticks and keep my blade as low as possible to minimize the exposed blade. I built custom trim for many years during my career and have cut up many thousands of feet of lumber into narrow pieces. Made it through all that unscathed, but I was no match for the mower.

Boolit Mold
    Really compelling reasons!

Boolit Master
    Best wishes to you man. Just looking at those fingers make me cringe

Banned

There is a powder, made from pig bladders if I remember. Put on fingers like that and they will grow back to normal. Why docs do not use it escapes me. Sometimes a finger tip will grow back, I have one that hit a jointer blade. It grew back and is normal. No loss of feeling or anything.
    They used the powder to grow leg muscles after IED's ruined our warriors.
    I learned the hard way too and now use the tools right.

When your butt got off the seat while its running, the engine should have died.
    Someone disconnected the safety switch. Someone should not have taken short cuts
    now you have short cuts for life.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Sorry to hear about this. Most of the mowers that I have used have had the switches played with. I always turn the deck off then turn the mower off if I am putting any part of me close to the sharp spiny things. They always concerned me. I know how brain farts work and glad that it wasn't any worse than this.

Jerry Jr.

ps My daughter is going to like your pics ( she is weird like that). Then she is going to call her brother over who doesn't like stuff like this.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I bet you will know about this for years, this is from someone who lost a finger tip in a punch press, and had 2 fingers sewed back on after getting them ripped out of my hand.

I learned a very good saying after these two accidents?????

Whenever you say to yourself "If I'm real careful I can doooooo this." STOP right there and put your mind into 1st gear.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Ouch I bet that smarts .hope you recover OK .we all get complacent but luck runs out .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast